• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

thought DESPP was not going to answer AW gun definition queries? here's on 2-25-14

FreeInAZ

All I can say is ...here we go...:eek:

This guy is typical of the "I was just following orders crowd". I love (not) that this guy hides behind SCOTUS...* he will enforce all laws until SCOTUS deems it unconstitutional * So if the whack jobs in the Connecticut legislature pass a law saying he will kill all the first born of any gun owner until they comply with registration/destruction/out state storage/sale to FFL, he's OK with his underlings doing so until it is struck down (hopefully) by SCOTUS - potentially years later! WTF!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUxjuz2o9Gk

Last edited:

Skinnedknuckles

http://i.imgur.com/xAeZ19n.jpg

I disagree with the decision as the gun is not capable of discharging a 410 shell unless one has one ... otherwise 45 LC is good to go

But they refused to ask people about the law and their guns???!!

IANAL, but as I understand the it, to be a shotgun it must have a smooth bore. Since the Circuit Judge has a rifled bore, it is a rifle, not a shotgun, regardless of the shape or size of the projectile or projectiles. Otherwise, a .38 Special revolver loaded with CCI shotshells (or any Judge) would be a short barreled shotgun, and that ain't so.

davidmcbeth

Banned
IANAL, but as I understand the it, to be a shotgun it must have a smooth bore. Since the Circuit Judge has a rifled bore, it is a rifle, not a shotgun, regardless of the shape or size of the projectile or projectiles. Otherwise, a .38 Special revolver loaded with CCI shotshells (or any Judge) would be a short barreled shotgun, and that ain't so.

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/guides/gun-control-act-definition-shotgun

Gun Control Act Definitions
Shotgun

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(5) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

Looks like if it can shoot a shotgun shelled projectile(s), its a shotgun.

JustaShooter

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/guides/gun-control-act-definition-shotgun

Gun Control Act Definitions
Shotgun

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(5) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

Looks like if it can shoot a shotgun shelled projectile(s), its a shotgun.

You should read the rest of what you quoted, carefully. Among other things, a shotgun is "made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore" so, if the firearm in question has a rifled bore, it is not a shotgun. QED

davidmcbeth

Banned
You should read the rest of what you quoted, carefully. Among other things, a shotgun is "made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore" so, if the firearm in question has a rifled bore, it is not a shotgun. QED

hmmm.. you may be right ... just differentiating between shot and wad cutters ....

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
http://i.imgur.com/xAeZ19n.jpg

I disagree with the decision as the gun is not capable of discharging a 410 shell unless one has one ... otherwise 45 LC is good to go

But they refused to ask people about the law and their guns???!!

This is so sad ... Connecticut has apparently been forced to write its laws on various statues located around the state. The attached letter from the Captain references several different statues that define what guns are considered illegal. /sarcasm

SMH! It is amazing to me that a senior ranking LEO in Connecticut does not know the difference between a statue and a statute in an official letter.....