Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meetings

Meetings

Do y'all open Cary for the meeting????

Yes
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

meetings

Quote Originally Posted by Albassman View Post
    Hello,Albassman, We have our meetings at IHOP on College dr. at 6:30 pm every third Wednesday of each month.
    Please come and join the club.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albassman View Post
    I would venture to say that OC, CC, or even noC would be perfectly acceptable. No one is going criticize you for your choice/method of carry. The important thing is to come on out and get to know the people. An hour or so over good food will bond friendships. The conversation is always great.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member southernredneck1's Avatar
    Carry on!!!! And just remember, ya meet the nicest people when carrying a gun!

Quote Originally Posted by southernredneck1 View Post
    An armed society is.........................
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

An armed society is.........................

a polite society!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by grapeshot View Post
    i would venture to say that oc, cc, or even noc would be perfectly acceptable. No one is going criticize you for your choice/method of carry. The important thing is to come on out and get to know the people. An hour or so over good food will bond friendships. The conversation is always great.
    this!
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

Florida Parishes Chapter of Local is having their monthly meeting next Saturday Night 6:30pm at the IHOP in Covington just off La190 in front of the Office Depoe. Come one, come all and make some friends in the OC world.
    Last edited by Wolfgang1952; 03-10-2014 at 02:12 AM.
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang1952 View Post
    Florida Parishes Chapter of Local is having their monthly meeting next Saturday Night 6:30pm at the IHOP in Covington just off La190 in front of the Office Depoe. Come one, come all and make some friends in the OC world.
    Post to Louisiana Events - It'll stay at or near the top long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Post to Louisiana Events - It'll stay at or near the top long enough.
    I already have a thread in Louisiana Events with the March meetings listed. I post reminders the day of the meetings. Meeting dates can also e found on our webpage at www.laopencarry.org , in our newsletter which is mailed each month to paid members as well as being displayed on our website. We also post meeting schedules on our forum, on our Facebook wall as well as on our Twitter account.
    As for weather we OC at meetings..... Photos posted in our forum as well as on our webpage clearly show our members open carrying at meetings and we have discussed in the past how we organize these meetings at places which are gun friendly for this reason. OC, CC with a permit or don't carry at all. It's up to you. Come visit with LOCAL members, learn about the group, tip your waitress generously and have a good time.
    Last edited by sraacke; 03-12-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by sraacke View Post
    I already have a thread in Louisiana Events with the March meetings listed. I post reminders the day of the meetings. Meeting dates can also e found on our webpage at www.laopencarry.org , in our newsletter which is mailed each month to paid members as well as being displayed on our website. We also post meeting schedules on our forum, on our Facebook wall as well as on our Twitter account.
    As for weather we OC at meetings..... Photos posted in our forum as well as on our webpage clearly show our members open carrying at meetings and we have discussed in the past how we organize these meetings at places which are gun friendly for this reason. OC, CC with a permit or don't carry at all. It's up to you. Come visit with LCOAL(sic) members, learn about the group, tip your waitress generously and have a good time.
    That's a bituminous fat fingered miscue.

Is LOCAL.

That's a bituminous fat fingered miscue.

Is LOCAL.
    Opps. Fat fingers typing way too fast and not proof reading. Edited and corrected. Thanks.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Women at Meetings

Just out of curiosity, are there many women that attend the meetings?

I've had a lot of people that make small talk with me since I've started OC. People have been nicer in general. Is it the same with you?

I get a lot of looks and stares most of the time, but more and more people are starting to talk to me about OCing and the laws in both LA and MS. I always carry cards on my person and flyers in the truck. I hand them out to anyone that wants a little more knowledge. I always write this website's address on the back so they can find out the laws in other states if they decide to travel. I went to a birthday party last weekend, and at one point in time or another, had every guy outside by my truck talking about it, and a few ladies as well. As far as women attending the meetings, my wife makes every meeting I make. She is also the Secretary/Treasurer of our chapter. Currently, we are trying to find her an OC weapon as the .357 w/ 4" barrel is awkward for her to carry. As to why everyone came out to my truck at the party, here is a pic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1607.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	11511

Here's a better photo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oue8.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	11512

Quote Originally Posted by MomInLa View Post
    Welcome to OCDO MomInLa - I know a number of the posters in La. fairly well - one particularly who used to live in Va. All good solid family people.

While I don't know the breakdown/percentage of female attendees at meetings there - I do know that with VCDL in Va. 15-20% would not be unusual and at picnic meetings about 50% and lots of kids too.

Even if you were the only woman, PLEASE do it - come on out, pave the way if necessary. Women are under represented in some localities and quite frankly we need you - one becomes 2, 2 become 4,5,6,12!! Besides you bring a certain decorum along with you that might rub some of the crust off the others.

Women are the fastest growing democraphic group taking personal defense seriously and they need to be heard and seen at all levels.
    http://civilliberty.about.com/od/gun...Gun-Rights.htm

A woman's viewpoint:
    "There is much we can do. First, if you are not a member, join! Join your local gun club; join national organizations: Second Amendment Foundation (the folks who brought you Heller and McDonald), Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Gun Owners of America, National Rifle Association; join your state gun protection group, and, if you can, join those in other states, such as Illinois State Rifle Association.

Go public. Let your friends and coworkers know you are a gunowner. There is nothing belligerent about owning firearms. Rather, for years I have been advocating that women show that they own and use guns, because women are not threatening. It softens the face of the gunowner to the general public when they learn that the sweet little old ladies and the charming young women are part of that group that the media tries so hard to demonize."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...uns-heres-why/
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-21-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fixed

Welcome to OCDO MominLa!!! What do you mean by "many"? I would say there are some women that attend the meetings. I like to see membership grow so we need more attendance in general. Come see for yourself.

Thumbs up

At my groups meetings we have at least one woman at most every meeting along with her infant daughter! She and her husband are my VP and Sec/Treasurer! She's a good shooter and carries a 1911 in 45 ACP most of the time.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

I get a lot of looks and stares most of the time, but more and more people are starting to talk to me about OCing and the laws in both LA and MS. I always carry cards on my person and flyers in the truck. I hand them out to anyone that wants a little more knowledge. I always write this website's address on the back so they can find out the laws in other states if they decide to travel. I went to a birthday party last weekend, and at one point in time or another, had every guy outside by my truck talking about it, and a few ladies as well. As far as women attending the meetings, my wife makes every meeting I make. She is also the Secretary/Treasurer of our chapter. Currently, we are trying to find her an OC weapon as the .357 w/ 4" barrel is awkward for her to carry. As to why everyone came out to my truck at the party, here is a pic.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1607.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	11511
    It's great that your wife is very involved. Where do you get the cards that you hand out?

Has your wife checked out the Ruger LC9 yet? I purchased mine last week and I'm very pleased with it so far. After looking through all the small hand guns, I narrowed it down to the Sig Sauer P290 and the Ruger LC9. I have long skinny fingers and those were the only 2 that felt comfortable to me. I ended up choosing the Ruger over the Sig due to the safety features it has. I have 4 girls, so safety is very very important to me.

Your truck is awesome by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroHog View Post
    At my groups meetings we have at least one woman at most every meeting along with her infant daughter! She and her husband are my VP and Sec/Treasurer! She's a good shooter and carries a 1911 in 45 ACP most of the time.
    That's great! I would love to attend one of the meetings. I'm going to have to see when the next one is that's not too far from Hammond. I have 4 girls and a full-time job, so I don't have much free time. It would be even better if I could bring them along.

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Welcome to OCDO MominLa!!! What do you mean by "many"? I would say there are some women that attend the meetings. I like to see membership grow so we need more attendance in general. Come see for yourself.
    By "many" I meant "any", haha. I was just curious more than anything. I am very interested either way.

Welcome to OCDO MomInLa - I know a number of the posters in La. fairly well - one particularly who used to live in Va. All good solid family people.

While I don't know the breakdown/percentage of female attendees at meetings there - I do know that with VCDL in Va. 15-20% would not be unusual and at picnic meetings about 50% and lots of kids too.

Even if you were the only woman, PLEASE do it - come on out, pave the way if necessary. Women are under represented in some localities and quite frankly we need you - one becomes 2, 2 become 4,5,6,12!! Besides you bring a certain decorum along with you that might rub some of the crust off the others.

Women are the fastest growing democraphic group taking personal defense seriously and they need to be heard and seen at all levels.
    http://civilliberty.about.com/od/gun...Gun-Rights.htm

A woman's viewpoint:
    "There is much we can do. First, if you are not a member, join! Join your local gun club; join national organizations: Second Amendment Foundation (the folks who brought you Heller and McDonald), Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Gun Owners of America, National Rifle Association; join your state gun protection group, and, if you can, join those in other states, such as Illinois State Rifle Association.

Go public. Let your friends and coworkers know you are a gunowner. There is nothing belligerent about owning firearms. Rather, for years I have been advocating that women show that they own and use guns, because women are not threatening. It softens the face of the gunowner to the general public when they learn that the sweet little old ladies and the charming young women are part of that group that the media tries so hard to demonize."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...uns-heres-why/
    I can definitely see that women are under represented. So far though, I have had great experiences OCing. I've OC in Walmart, Target, and Albertson's with my children with me. The only place where it was slightly awkward was Walmart. A few men kept staring, but I just smiled. I think it's just unusual (especially around the Hammond area) to see a small, young female with a firearm.

There has been controversy from some of my family and co-workers, but I knew that would happen and I am happily prepared to debate with them about it. Some of them have tried to convince me that it's not a good idea to OC due to safety reasons, asking what I would do if someone walked right past me and took my firearm out of my holster. Most have said that I am going to put myself through more grief by OCing, referring to getting stopped and questioned by the public or police.

When it comes down to it, I don't OC just because I can legally, or because I am trying to stand out or make a statement. I do it for my girls. And that's what I tell people.

I am very interested in coming to a meeting though. Thank you for the warm welcome!

That's great! I would love to attend one of the meetings. I'm going to have to see when the next one is that's not too far from Hammond. I have 4 girls and a full-time job, so I don't have much free time. It would be even better if I could bring them along.
    While I obviously can't speak for the local (pun intended) folk, our attitude in Virginia is that women w/guns are golden, but women w/guns and children goes PLATINUM. Besides, as you say, they are a big part of why you OC/carry so why would you leave them out of your area of control?

Defending even before birth

A mother defending her cubs - would you do less?

Not on her watch they won't........

So innocent, so very precious - Protect them!

Okay, I admit it I sell hard - can you guess why?...........Because I believe, I know where responsibility begins.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-22-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast