Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Henderson park packet still posting

  1. #1
    Regular Member jdholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada
    Posts
    488

    Henderson park packet still posting

    Couldn't find the thread about the Henderson Parks in my quick search, but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone concerned especially TBG:

    We just booked a Henderson Park for an Easter Celebration and I noticed in the info packet that they are still posting that firearms are not allowed.

    It's been how many years now? Amazing.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    Will you be doing a Easter service there?

  3. #3
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by jdholmes View Post
    Couldn't find the thread about the Henderson Parks in my quick search, but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone concerned especially TBG:

    We just booked a Henderson Park for an Easter Celebration and I noticed in the info packet that they are still posting that firearms are not allowed.

    It's been how many years now? Amazing.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The P&R web site is posted as follows:

    Use of all City of Henderson parks and trails is subject to HMC 8.99.030.

    The following are prohibited:

    • Fireworks of any type
    • Overnight parking and camping
    • Alcoholic beverages, except by special permit
    • Inflatables on grass areas May 1-Oct. 1
    • Horses, ponies or horseback riding (except at Equestrian Park)
    • Trucks, motor vehicles and bicycles on turf or other unauthorized areas
    • Climbing on trees, structures or fences
    • Staking of tents and other items
    • Propane grills
    • Skating in non-designated areas
    • Dunk tanks
    • Hitting golf balls
    • Other rules and information


    • Persons who intentionally damage or vandalize park property will be prosecuted
    • Fires are permitted in park barbecue grills only
    • Amplified sound by permit only
    • Pets must be leashed except in posted designated areas.
    • Pet owners are responsible for picking up their pet’s waste.
    • All sport court lighting shuts off at 10:00 p.m.


    As you can see there is no mention of firearms though it does mention HMC 8.99.030. This code still after all this time has not been amended as I was promised. It however is not enforced and signs at the parks were taped over covering the part about firearms.

    Yes the info packet still quotes the Municipal code as written. I will contact the P&R director to ask that the correction be made.

    You don't need to worry about it.

    Thanks for the Heads Up.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  4. #4
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    email to Parks and Rec Director

    Mr. Murnane

    In July of 2010 I began working to get the City of Henderson to follow state preemption with regard to firearms regulations. The City Attorney’s office agreed that my interpretation of the law was correct and that the ban on carrying of firearms in city parks was against state law. At that time the posting on the park signs stating no firearms were covered.

    About a year later I noticed that the rules posted on the website had not been changed with respect to the new city policy. I notified Parks and Rec and the rules section on the website was quickly modified.

    It has come to my attention that the rules section of the Picnic Area Reservation Packet available on the P&R website still outlines the old rules. http://www.cityofhenderson.com/parks...ion-packet.pdf. This would be on page 9 of 14 under “M”.

    I respectfully request that you direct that it be changed. It should be a simple modification as it is a PDF file.

    Regards



    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  5. #5
    Regular Member garand_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    495
    Sounds like time for a nice BBQ in the park. Weather sure is nice.

  6. #6
    Regular Member jdholmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada
    Posts
    488
    Thanks for the quick reply. I knew there would be no problem, but wanted to bring it to your attention because I know how hard you have worked on this over the last several years.


    Steve, we won't be having a service in the park that day. It is a BBQ and Easter egg hunt and games for the kids.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by jdholmes View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I knew there would be no problem, but wanted to bring it to your attention because I know how hard you have worked on this over the last several years.


    Steve, we won't be having a service in the park that day. It is a BBQ and Easter egg hunt and games for the kids.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I know for a fact that Steve is strangely drawn to brightly colored eggs. I think he likes to shoot them.

    TBG
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 03-07-2014 at 12:55 AM.
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  8. #8
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by garand_guy View Post
    Sounds like time for a nice BBQ in the park. Weather sure is nice.
    The wife was talking about that just tonight.

    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pointy end and slightly to the left
    Posts
    1,539
    Last summer had kind of the some issue in a State Park in Ut. I knew open carry was good to go in the Ut State Parks. The wife and I stopped at a State Park, decided to take a one-mile trail and picked up the point of interest pamphlet. Starting at number 1 reading about the site. I was open carrying my very obvious full size auto. The farther we get down the trail the better having the firearm felt. After an hour of looking and walking finally got the last point of interest my wife is reading the pamphlet and decided to read on and came to there it said firearms are prohibited in state parks. Thinking that is a good place to put the no guns allowed. So now I am thinking did they change their mind, did I mis read or understand. So now on the way back I am paranoid trying to keep the damn thing covered. Turns out after taking to a guard at one of the state parks entrance OCing is ok the just had not changed the pamphlet.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 03-07-2014 at 01:14 AM.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Last summer had kind of the some issue in a State Park in Ut. I knew open carry was good to go in the Ut State Parks. The wife and I stopped at a State Park, decided to take a one-mile trail and picked up the point of interest pamphlet. Starting at number 1 reading about the site. I was open carrying my very obvious full size auto. The farther we get down the trail the better having the firearm felt. After an hour of looking and walking finally got the last point of interest my wife is reading the pamphlet and decided to read on and came to there it said firearms are prohibited in state parks. Thinking that is a good place to put the no guns allowed. So now I am thinking did they change their mind, did I mis read or understand. So now on the way back I am paranoid trying to keep the damn thing covered. Turns out after taking to a guard at one of the state parks entrance OCing is ok the just had not changed the pamphlet.
    Not only does it spread false information, but a "little thing" like not changing a pamphlet/hand out has caused BIG problems, lots of time and money.

    In this case, I suspect that the expense of reproducing the pamphlet is minimal - please insist on it.

    The potential cost to the department in terms of looking ignorant/foolish and/or settling a law suit are much greater - consequentially they should want to update the material.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-07-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    I know for a fact that Steve is strangely drawn to brightly colored eggs. I think he likes to shoot them.

    TBG
    MMMMMM now you might be on to something. A post Easter egg shoot!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •