• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Henderson park packet still posting

jdholmes

Couldn't find the thread about the Henderson Parks in my quick search, but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone concerned especially TBG:

We just booked a Henderson Park for an Easter Celebration and I noticed in the info packet that they are still posting that firearms are not allowed.

It's been how many years now? Amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Big Guy

Couldn't find the thread about the Henderson Parks in my quick search, but just wanted to give a heads up to anyone concerned especially TBG:

We just booked a Henderson Park for an Easter Celebration and I noticed in the info packet that they are still posting that firearms are not allowed.

It's been how many years now? Amazing.

The P&R web site is posted as follows:

Use of all City of Henderson parks and trails is subject to HMC 8.99.030.

The following are prohibited:

• Fireworks of any type
  • Overnight parking and camping
  • Alcoholic beverages, except by special permit
  • Inflatables on grass areas May 1-Oct. 1
  • Horses, ponies or horseback riding (except at Equestrian Park)
  • Trucks, motor vehicles and bicycles on turf or other unauthorized areas
  • Climbing on trees, structures or fences
  • Staking of tents and other items
  • Propane grills
  • Skating in non-designated areas
  • Dunk tanks
  • Hitting golf balls
  • Other rules and information

• Persons who intentionally damage or vandalize park property will be prosecuted
  • Fires are permitted in park barbecue grills only
  • Amplified sound by permit only
  • Pets must be leashed except in posted designated areas.
  • Pet owners are responsible for picking up their pet’s waste.
  • All sport court lighting shuts off at 10:00 p.m.

As you can see there is no mention of firearms though it does mention HMC 8.99.030. This code still after all this time has not been amended as I was promised. It however is not enforced and signs at the parks were taped over covering the part about firearms.

Yes the info packet still quotes the Municipal code as written. I will contact the P&R director to ask that the correction be made.

You don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for the Heads Up.

TBG

The Big Guy

email to Parks and Rec Director

Mr. Murnane

In July of 2010 I began working to get the City of Henderson to follow state preemption with regard to firearms regulations. The City Attorney’s office agreed that my interpretation of the law was correct and that the ban on carrying of firearms in city parks was against state law. At that time the posting on the park signs stating no firearms were covered.

About a year later I noticed that the rules posted on the website had not been changed with respect to the new city policy. I notified Parks and Rec and the rules section on the website was quickly modified.

It has come to my attention that the rules section of the Picnic Area Reservation Packet available on the P&R website still outlines the old rules. http://www.cityofhenderson.com/parks/pdf/park-reservation-packet.pdf. This would be on page 9 of 14 under “M”.

I respectfully request that you direct that it be changed. It should be a simple modification as it is a PDF file.

Regards

TBG

jdholmes

Thanks for the quick reply. I knew there would be no problem, but wanted to bring it to your attention because I know how hard you have worked on this over the last several years.

Steve, we won't be having a service in the park that day. It is a BBQ and Easter egg hunt and games for the kids.

The Big Guy

Thanks for the quick reply. I knew there would be no problem, but wanted to bring it to your attention because I know how hard you have worked on this over the last several years.

Steve, we won't be having a service in the park that day. It is a BBQ and Easter egg hunt and games for the kids.

I know for a fact that Steve is strangely drawn to brightly colored eggs. I think he likes to shoot them.

TBG

Last edited:

28kfps

Last summer had kind of the some issue in a State Park in Ut. I knew open carry was good to go in the Ut State Parks. The wife and I stopped at a State Park, decided to take a one-mile trail and picked up the point of interest pamphlet. Starting at number 1 reading about the site. I was open carrying my very obvious full size auto. The farther we get down the trail the better having the firearm felt. After an hour of looking and walking finally got the last point of interest my wife is reading the pamphlet and decided to read on and came to there it said firearms are prohibited in state parks. Thinking that is a good place to put the no guns allowed. So now I am thinking did they change their mind, did I mis read or understand. So now on the way back I am paranoid trying to keep the damn thing covered. Turns out after taking to a guard at one of the state parks entrance OCing is ok the just had not changed the pamphlet.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last summer had kind of the some issue in a State Park in Ut. I knew open carry was good to go in the Ut State Parks. The wife and I stopped at a State Park, decided to take a one-mile trail and picked up the point of interest pamphlet. Starting at number 1 reading about the site. I was open carrying my very obvious full size auto. The farther we get down the trail the better having the firearm felt. After an hour of looking and walking finally got the last point of interest my wife is reading the pamphlet and decided to read on and came to there it said firearms are prohibited in state parks. Thinking that is a good place to put the no guns allowed. So now I am thinking did they change their mind, did I mis read or understand. So now on the way back I am paranoid trying to keep the damn thing covered. Turns out after taking to a guard at one of the state parks entrance OCing is ok the just had not changed the pamphlet.
Not only does it spread false information, but a "little thing" like not changing a pamphlet/hand out has caused BIG problems, lots of time and money.

In this case, I suspect that the expense of reproducing the pamphlet is minimal - please insist on it.

The potential cost to the department in terms of looking ignorant/foolish and/or settling a law suit are much greater - consequentially they should want to update the material.

Last edited: