Thread: Are local police conducting NSA-style surveillance?

Are local police conducting NSA-style surveillance?

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The National Security Agency apparently isn't the only government agency engaged in domestic spying.

Local law enforcement is playing the role of Big Brother, too, but to what extent is still unknown.

Recent court documents reveal a troubling cell phone surveillance program conducted by a Florida police department against unsuspecting cell phone users.

Attempts to keep the practice secret, even from judges, is raising questions as to just how prevalent police spying is within the Sunshine State.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...cmp=latestnews
    Say it ain't so!

Spy game: Local police tap cell phones. Florida Watchdog.org

The controversy stems from the arrest of James L. Thomas, a criminal suspect believed to be in possession of a stolen phone. Tallahassee police located and arrested Thomas by tracking a cell phone signal, then promptly searched his home. It later became known that police didn’t seek a warrant or admit to using a little-known surveillance device called a “Stingray.”

Stingrays are small mobile devices that trick cell phones into connecting to them as if they were cell phone towers. The technology gives police the ability to track phone movements and intercept both phone calls and text messages of any cell phone within range.

http://watchdog.org/131254/local-police-spy/

If FedGov can afford to give away thousands of MRAP as urban assault vehicles, certainly stingray devices and software are trivial.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Any amount of spying is unlikely to disturb Floridians. Law enforcement fetishism is part of the "conservative" ethos down here as is the idea that "if I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have anything to worry about." If it could be proved that they're using it indiscriminately then they might have a problem.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

I'm in Floral City for a month of bicycle riding. Today for the first time in this visit I will have my stupid cellphone with me but as off as I can make it short of removing the battery/SIM card. I'll use it only in an emergent event.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm in Floral City for a month of bicycle riding. Today for the first time in this visit I will have my stupid cellphone with me but as off as I can make it short of removing the battery/SIM card. I'll use it only in an emergent event.
    Just use aluminum-foil to line a case for it. Instant Faraday cage.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Banned
    I would be all up their butts over this one...its basically tapping your phone w/o a warrant.

If they do this with wireless phones, why not landlines?

Police Hide Use of Cell Phone Tracker From Courts Because Manufacturer Asked

"It appears that at least one police department in Florida has failed to tell judges about its use of a cell phone tracking device because the department got the device on loan and promised the manufacturer to keep it all under wraps. But when police use invasive surveillance equipment to surreptitiously sweep up information about the locations and communications of large numbers of people, court oversight and public debate are essential. The devices, likely made by the Florida-based Harris Corporation, are called “stingrays,” and unfortunately this is not the first time the government has tried to hide their use."

https://www.aclu.org/blog/national-s...courts-because

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Any amount of spying is unlikely to disturb Floridians. Law enforcement fetishism is part of the "conservative" ethos down here as is the idea that "if I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have anything to worry about." If it could be proved that they're using it indiscriminately then they might have a problem.
    This is probably correct.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I would be all up their butts over this one...its basically tapping your phone w/o a warrant.

If they do this with wireless phones, why not landlines?
    Lol why would they need to track your landline? Its stationary..... :-)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Lol why would they need to track your landline? Its stationary..... :-)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Awwwwww...good one ....

Maybe cops should put devices over ATMs you know, just to check your bank balance so they can notify you if you might bounce a check?