• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are local police conducting NSA-style surveillance?

OC for ME

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The National Security Agency apparently isn't the only government agency engaged in domestic spying.

Local law enforcement is playing the role of Big Brother, too, but to what extent is still unknown.

Recent court documents reveal a troubling cell phone surveillance program conducted by a Florida police department against unsuspecting cell phone users.

Attempts to keep the practice secret, even from judges, is raising questions as to just how prevalent police spying is within the Sunshine State.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...onducting-nsa-style-spying/?intcmp=latestnews
Say it ain't so! :uhoh:

77zach

Any amount of spying is unlikely to disturb Floridians. Law enforcement fetishism is part of the "conservative" ethos down here as is the idea that "if I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have anything to worry about." If it could be proved that they're using it indiscriminately then they might have a problem.

Rusty Young Man

I'm in Floral City for a month of bicycle riding. Today for the first time in this visit I will have my stupid cellphone with me but as off as I can make it short of removing the battery/SIM card. I'll use it only in an emergent event.

Just use aluminum-foil to line a case for it. Instant Faraday cage.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would be all up their butts over this one...its basically tapping your phone w/o a warrant.

If they do this with wireless phones, why not landlines?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Any amount of spying is unlikely to disturb Floridians. Law enforcement fetishism is part of the "conservative" ethos down here as is the idea that "if I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have anything to worry about." If it could be proved that they're using it indiscriminately then they might have a problem.

This is probably correct.

Primus

I would be all up their butts over this one...its basically tapping your phone w/o a warrant.

If they do this with wireless phones, why not landlines?

Lol why would they need to track your landline? Its stationary..... :)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Maverick9

Maybe cops should put devices over ATMs you know, just to check your bank balance so they can notify you if you might bounce a check?