Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sapa-sb613

  1. #1
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637

    Sapa-sb613

    Thought I would just remind folks to contact your House Representatives, especially if they are on the House Rules Committee, and encourage them to support and pass out of committee to House floor for a vote.

    SAPA is currently in the Rules Committee (Jeanie Riddle is the Chairperson). It's encouraging to see it move through the system and would like to see it pass the House and put before the gubbinor. More than likely he will veto it; but in the current configuration, there are enough (barely, unless some change their vote) to override the veto. This needs to happen fairly quickly since he may be making some appointments that could have a negative impact on a special session.

    I've made contact with my local reps and hope to stop by the capitol next week and chat with them in person; especially one who appears to have changed colors and doesn't seem to want to respond to questions; Sen Bob Dixon.

    Just encouraging everyone to stay in touch/involved with their reps.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    KC
    Posts
    1,012
    Emergency clause...

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    Emergency clause...

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Agree!!...Hope it can happen.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  4. #4
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    Notes sent. Though, we all thought, I think, that the SAPA would have been veto overridden last go around. Waiting.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Notes sent. Though, we all thought, I think, that the SAPA would have been veto overridden last go around. Waiting.
    Yep, so true.

    We've already had one who was for it last year, change their mind. Hopefully they will come around.

    Thanks for sending the note.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Passed out of the House Rules Committee today; now heading to the House floor for a vote; hopefully sometime this week.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Regular Member HP995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MO, USA
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    We've already had one who was for it last year, change their mind.
    Perhaps because of this? The NRA opposed SB 613 for one week during February when the bill was hijacked for an anti-gun amendment about criminalizing failure to report a stolen weapon. That amendment was removed after the NRA pressure, and as far as I know that was the end of the hijack attempt. Now the NRA calls itself "neutral" about the bill, whatever.

    If anyone is now opposing the bill because they heard the NRA was against it, you could show them the update from the NRA.
    http://www.nramedia.org/t/2440331/70561350/33238/7/

    The political process is subject to hijacks and also mixture of quality and inferior portions of a bill. Right now 613 looks pretty good if the summary is accurate and complete.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Redbaron007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    1,637
    Quote Originally Posted by HP995 View Post
    Perhaps because of this? The NRA opposed SB 613 for one week during February when the bill was hijacked for an anti-gun amendment about criminalizing failure to report a stolen weapon. That amendment was removed after the NRA pressure, and as far as I know that was the end of the hijack attempt. Now the NRA calls itself "neutral" about the bill, whatever.

    If anyone is now opposing the bill because they heard the NRA was against it, you could show them the update from the NRA.
    http://www.nramedia.org/t/2440331/70561350/33238/7/

    The political process is subject to hijacks and also mixture of quality and inferior portions of a bill. Right now 613 looks pretty good if the summary is accurate and complete.
    The actual amendment that was attached was very benign and did nothing. There were no penalties or consequences for failure to abide by it. The NRA over-reacted, maybe to get it removed to garner more support for the bill or scare off those that were on the fence. Anyway, it got removed.

    I spoke with the one who voted against it in the Senate; the bill itself was not the issue, but more of some mechanics behind the scene that had not been worked out. They have since worked them out and would/will vote in favor of the bill if an override is needed.

    Subsequently, SJR36 needs to be out on the ballot this year for a vote. This Amendment will do a lot more to preserving our 2A rights than a lot of bills.

    Contact your House reps to get SB613 passed and then get SJR36 out to the people of MO to vote on it.
    Last edited by Redbaron007; 03-17-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Regular Member HP995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    MO, USA
    Posts
    289
    Thanks, I didn't know about SJR36!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •