• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weapons prohibited in publicly owned locations?

Grim_Night

We are discussing legalities, the definitions of "Rent", "Lease" and "License" have very different meanings under the law.

The fact of the matter is this... If a publicly owned building or property (owned by city, county, town, etc.) is prohibited from making and enforcing certian rules regarding firearms per state law and they then rent or lease said building or property to a private party for an hour, day, week, month, etc... How do they have the right to allow the private party to make such rules? It's like saying "The law says we aren't allowed to do this, but we will let you have temporary control of this building/land to do with as you so choose and make whatever rules you so choose."

Last I checked, such property was built and paid for by public funds such as tax money. So telling the public that they don't have the rights protected by the constitution on/in said property is illegal even if done by a third party right? What would happen if the private party renting/leasing said party were to say "Sorry, but only white males are allowed here." What's the difference from that and telling somebody they are not allowed to possess a lawfully owned firearm when state law says otherwise?

Jeff Hayes

The fact of the matter is this... If a publicly owned building or property (owned by city, county, town, etc.) is prohibited from making and enforcing certian rules regarding firearms per state law and they then rent or lease said building or property to a private party for an hour, day, week, month, etc... How do they have the right to allow the private party to make such rules? It's like saying "The law says we aren't allowed to do this, but we will let you have temporary control of this building/land to do with as you so choose and make whatever rules you so choose."

Last I checked, such property was built and paid for by public funds such as tax money. So telling the public that they don't have the rights protected by the constitution on/in said property is illegal even if done by a third party right? What would happen if the private party renting/leasing said party were to say "Sorry, but only white males are allowed here." What's the difference from that and telling somebody they are not allowed to possess a lawfully owned firearm when state law says otherwise?

Every license to use that I have read states in one way or another the licensee must follow all state and local laws.

Jeff Hayes

Unless it's Centurylink field.

I have not read that one but I would bet it is there, it is standard boiler plate in every lease I have ever read. In that case my question would be who employees the people taking the tickets, ushering, cleaning up, doing the sound, maintenance etc. If those people work for the PFD/City then they have not surrendered control of the facility and state preemption applies.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Look at it from the lessee's point of view; I am renting the local community center for my daughter's wedding. The event is not open to the general public, but invitee's only. We are a traditional Hasidic Jewish family and thus I am excluding Muslims from the property during my lease. I am clearly discriminating on public property in your question above. And in my estimation well withing the terms of the lease to discriminate (religion or guns) if I choose to do so as the event is not open to the general public even though it is on property that is under the ownership of the public entity.

Freedom1Man

Look at it from the lessee's point of view; I am renting the local community center for my daughter's wedding. The event is not open to the general public, but invitee's only. We are a traditional Hasidic Jewish family and thus I am excluding Muslims from the property during my lease. I am clearly discriminating on public property in your question above. And in my estimation well withing the terms of the lease to discriminate (religion or guns) if I choose to do so as the event is not open to the general public even though it is on property that is under the ownership of the public entity.

Your event that you present is not open to the general public in the first place.

A gun show, in this example, is open to the general public.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Your event that you present is not open to the general public in the first place.

A gun show, in this example, is open to the general public.

Is it?

Do they charge a membership fee? An entry fee?

Do they maintain the right to refuse entry/service?

We may assume they are open to the general public, but that does not mean that is the case.

Jeff Hayes

Is it?

Do they charge a membership fee? An entry fee?

Do they maintain the right to refuse entry/service?

We may assume they are open to the general public, but that does not mean that is the case.

Anytime anyone can attend even if a fee is required it would be open to the public. I wonder what would happen if say the gun show required anyone that entered to become a member of the gun show when everyone could be a member by paying the fee at the door. I would still think that would be open to the public. That might fly if there was a limited scope such as members had to prove they had an ancestor named Armstrong. Everyone maintains the right to refuse service or entry that does not have any bearing on open to the public.

If your Jewish self had a license to use a public facility and you attempted to bar Muslims you would likely be violating the rules of the licensing agreement. Every licensing agreement I have read states the licensee must follow all state and local laws. Not necessarily true in a private building unless the agreement stated otherwise.

Grim_Night

You are talking apples and carrots here. In your example, you are renting the public property for a private function, only open to friends and family for a specific event and likely not charging a fee to attend said function. But an event open to the general public, even for events that charge a fee upon entry, you must still follow the law and not discriminate in any way, shape, or form.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/restaurants-right-to-refuse-service.html

So Are "We Reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" Signs in Restaurants Legal?

Yes, however they still do not give a restaurant the power to refuse service on the basis of race, color, religion, or natural origin. These signs also do not preclude a court from finding other arbitrary refusals of service to be discriminatory. Simply put, restaurants that carry a "Right to Refuse Service" sign are subject to the same laws as restaurants without one.

What Conditions Allow a Restaurant to Refuse Service?

There a number of legitimate reasons for a restaurant to refuse service, some of which include:

Patrons who are unreasonably rowdy or causing trouble
Patrons that may overfill capacity if let in
Patrons who come in just before closing time or when the kitchen is closed
Patrons accompanied by large groups of non-customers looking to sit in
Patrons lacking adequate hygiene (e.g. excess dirt, extreme body odor, etc.)

In most cases, refusal of service is warranted where a customer’s presence in the restaurant detracts from the safety, welfare, and well-being of other patrons and the restaurant itself.

Based on the link provided, even a private property business, such as a restaurant, is "considered places of public accommodation" meaning...

The primary purpose of a restaurant is to sell food to the general public, which necessarily requires susceptibility to equal protection laws. Therefore, a restaurant’s existence as private property does not excuse an unjustified refusal of service.

And if you want to try and use the "safety" clause above, don't because a lawfully possessed firearm is safe as long as the person in possession is following the law regarding carrying said firearm. At least isn't that what most of us have been trying to tell everybody for many years?

http://www.legalzoom.com/us-law/equal-rights/right-refuse-service

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

You will notice again that it does not specify people with disabilities as the a first example above. But we all know that if a customer shows up with a wheel chair and are turned away, the fecal matter will hit the oscillating air circulation device. Same too should be said regarding lawfully possessed firearms as the right to keep and bear arms is in the constitution.

The only exception seems to be that if a patron is being a genuine disruption then they may be excluded but this is case by case basis.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

You are talking apples and carrots here. In your example, you are renting the public property for a private function, only open to friends and family for a specific event and likely not charging a fee to attend said function. But an event open to the general public, even for events that charge a fee upon entry, you must still follow the law and not discriminate in any way, shape, or form.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/restaurants-right-to-refuse-service.html

Based on the link provided, even a private property business, such as a restaurant, is "considered places of public accommodation" meaning...

And if you want to try and use the "safety" clause above, don't because a lawfully possessed firearm is safe as long as the person in possession is following the law regarding carrying said firearm. At least isn't that what most of us have been trying to tell everybody for many years?

http://www.legalzoom.com/us-law/equal-rights/right-refuse-service

You will notice again that it does not specify people with disabilities as the a first example above. But we all know that if a customer shows up with a wheel chair and are turned away, the fecal matter will hit the oscillating air circulation device. Same too should be said regarding lawfully possessed firearms as the right to keep and bear arms is in the constitution.

The only exception seems to be that if a patron is being a genuine disruption then they may be excluded but this is case by case basis.

It's funny you should bring that up, because the gun show had visible signs saying "you must be a citizen of the united states to purchase firearms" (where they get that from I don't know, because they clearly didn't get that from the United States Code or the RCW) and then they had a sign saying the same thing is spanish.

it appears to me the gun show was openly discriminating against people lawfully allowed to bear arms by national origin, and the presence of an alternative sign in spanish would imply that they targetting hispanics for suspicion.....