Thread: DESPP not puting proper postage on outgoing mail to residents - lack of service

Banned

DESPP not puting proper postage on outgoing mail to residents - lack of service

Anyone notice that DESPP is placing only 40 cents postage on letters sent out?

I wonder how many DESPP notices have not be received but they'll swear on a stack of bibles that they place correct postage on their outgoing mail.

Hardly proper service as noted in the CT Practice Book.

Training issue, I'm sure they're just 'operating in good faith."

did it occur to you that maybe governments/municipalities may get discounted postage rates?

Quote Originally Posted by CT Barfly View Post
    did it occur to you that maybe governments/municipalities may get discounted postage rates?
    It didn't occur to me,, so I had to go and look it up.
    A postal rate of $0.406 is the proper rate for a 1st Class bulk mail, not over 1-oz, with 3-digit automation. See USPS-Notice 123 page 11.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    It didn't occur to me,, so I had to go and look it up.
    A postal rate of $0.406 is the proper rate for a 1st Class bulk mail, not over 1-oz, with 3-digit automation. See USPS-Notice 123 page 11.
    I don't think that this qualifies as "bulk mail" ... but I'll check on it with the PO later next week

http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/g...d/bulkmail.htm
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 03-08-2014 at 02:03 PM.

The postal rate of $000.406 applies to items that meet three requirements, "1st Class bulk mail, with 3-digit automation, and not over 1-oz."

1. The wording on the letter you scanned says, "Presorted, First Class." The wording in the link you posted says, "The Postal Service uses the terms "bulk" and "presorted" interchangeably."

2. All ZIP Codes in Connecticut begin with the numbers "06." As long as the DESPP separates Connecticut addressed letters into bundles not more than 4 inches thick based on the third digit of the zip code, they have met the requirement for "3-digit automation."

3. The letter must be larger than a post card and not more than 1oz. in weight.

Unless the letter is heavier than I would expect, it appears all three requirements for reduced postal rates appear to have been met.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 03-08-2014 at 06:00 PM.