Thread: Typical politician's tactic

Typical politician's tactic

So, even though I live in NOVA, I sent an email to my delegate urging a no vote on the governor's change to containers in vehicles. No surprise, my NOVA delegate votes yes.

But then I get this email reply from my delegate's assistant:

Thank you for contacting our office.

The Governor's amendments to HB 962 were rejected yesterday.

Please do not hesitate to reach out in the future.
    And of course, no mention that my delegate voted the other way!

I would rather be a piano player in a ***** house than a politician - at least the former is an honest job!

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    So, even though I live in NOVA, I sent an email to my delegate urging a no vote on the governor's change to containers in vehicles. No surprise, my NOVA delegate votes yes.

I would rather be a piano player in a ***** house than a politician - at least the former is an honest job!

I didn't get a response from my (very-anti) NOVA Delegate, not did I expect to. But the list of those voting AYE (to accept the governor's change) read like a who's who of antis.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Greasing replied to me this morning with a simple note saying I had his support. Surprisingly, it seemed to come from him directly as it was flagged that he sent it from his iPad.

And autocorrect butchered Greason's name...

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post

Seems to me that his email would require a response, e.g., "No thanks to YOU, since you voted to support the amendment!"
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Seems to me that his email would require a response, e.g., "No thanks to YOU, since you voted to support the amendment!"
    My reply: Thanks for the update. However, you did not mention that my delegate voted otherwise. Why is that?

I've not yet received an answer and I'm not optimistic that I will.

Banned
    Go visit the guy at home .... emails? They likely never read them.

I got a great response from Dickie Bell.
    Dear Mr. Coolest man in the world:

Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition to the Governor’s amendment to HB 962, a bill to clarify state law regarding carrying a concealed handgun in a secured container while in a vehicle.

The Governor’s amendment would significantly change the bill, which currently requires that guns be “secured” in a container, to require that they now be “locked” in a container. The amendment is an attempt to impose stricter gun restrictions on law abiding citizens by amending a bill designed to clarify existing case law as ruled by the courts.

Specifically, HB 962 provides that for purposes of the exception to the prohibition against carrying a concealed weapon if it is in a “secured” container or “compartment” in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel. The bill provides that the term “secured” does not require that a container or compartment be “locked,” but merely closed. The term “compartment” is clarified to include a console, glove compartment, or any other area within or on the vehicle or vessel that possesses the ability to be closed. It codifies recent case law (Elias B. Doulgerakis v. Commonwealth of Virginia), and earned the support of several groups, including the Virginia Association of Commonwealth’s Attorneys.

You may rest assured that I oppose the Governor’s amendment to this simple clarification of existing law, and will work to assure its defeat in the General Assembly.

Thank you again for the benefit of your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Dickie Bell

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Go visit the guy at home .... emails? They likely never read them.
    The veteranized ones never do. That's what functionaries are for.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....