• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Typical politician's tactic

BillB

So, even though I live in NOVA, I sent an email to my delegate urging a no vote on the governor's change to containers in vehicles. No surprise, my NOVA delegate votes yes.

But then I get this email reply from my delegate's assistant:

Thank you for contacting our office.

The Governor's amendments to HB 962 were rejected yesterday.

Please do not hesitate to reach out in the future.

And of course, no mention that my delegate voted the other way!

I would rather be a piano player in a ***** house than a politician - at least the former is an honest job!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
So, even though I live in NOVA, I sent an email to my delegate urging a no vote on the governor's change to containers in vehicles. No surprise, my NOVA delegate votes yes.

I would rather be a piano player in a ***** house than a politician - at least the former is an honest job!

I didn't get a response from my (very-anti) NOVA Delegate, not did I expect to. But the list of those voting AYE (to accept the governor's change) read like a who's who of antis.

homestar

Greasing replied to me this morning with a simple note saying I had his support. Surprisingly, it seemed to come from him directly as it was flagged that he sent it from his iPad.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

Seems to me that his email would require a response, e.g., "No thanks to YOU, since you voted to support the amendment!"

BillB

Seems to me that his email would require a response, e.g., "No thanks to YOU, since you voted to support the amendment!"

My reply: Thanks for the update. However, you did not mention that my delegate voted otherwise. Why is that?

I've not yet received an answer and I'm not optimistic that I will.

Roverhound

I got a great response from Dickie Bell.
Dear Mr. Coolest man in the world:

Thank you for contacting my office to express your opposition to the Governor’s amendment to HB 962, a bill to clarify state law regarding carrying a concealed handgun in a secured container while in a vehicle.

The Governor’s amendment would significantly change the bill, which currently requires that guns be “secured” in a container, to require that they now be “locked” in a container. The amendment is an attempt to impose stricter gun restrictions on law abiding citizens by amending a bill designed to clarify existing case law as ruled by the courts.

Specifically, HB 962 provides that for purposes of the exception to the prohibition against carrying a concealed weapon if it is in a “secured” container or “compartment” in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel. The bill provides that the term “secured” does not require that a container or compartment be “locked,” but merely closed. The term “compartment” is clarified to include a console, glove compartment, or any other area within or on the vehicle or vessel that possesses the ability to be closed. It codifies recent case law (Elias B. Doulgerakis v. Commonwealth of Virginia), and earned the support of several groups, including the Virginia Association of Commonwealth’s Attorneys.

You may rest assured that I oppose the Governor’s amendment to this simple clarification of existing law, and will work to assure its defeat in the General Assembly.

Thank you again for the benefit of your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Dickie Bell