Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reckless Gunfire Causing Injuries to be a Felony in Virginia

Reckless Gunfire Causing Injuries to be a Felony in Virginia

Upon governor's signature:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ads-to-va-gov/

This is a type of gun control that I can live with.

Virginia Citizens Defense League on celebratory gunfire bill: ‘We strongly oppose it’

“We STRONGLY OPPOSE the Senate bill (SB 65),” said Philip VanCleave, the group’s president in an email to Guns.com.

“Virginia already has laws for manslaughter, reckless handing of a firearm, shooting across a road, shooting into an occupied dwelling or vehicle, etc.,” he continued, indicating the apparent redundancy of the measure.

“The bill was nothing but another piece of useless gun control that won’t save a single life put in by a political ambulance chaser after a poor little boy was hit and killed by a gun shot into the air on July 4, 2013,” added VanCleave, pointing out “So far they have not found the idiot that killed him.”

http://www.guns.com/2014/02/24/virgi...rongly-oppose/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Once again,

the idiots in our legislature seem to not know there are already laws against this crime.

Why do we continue to elect idiots that are this stupid? We deserve better, but we don't require it or hold these idiot accountable for their stupidities.

This is almost as bad as at the national level. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    “We STRONGLY OPPOSE the Senate bill (SB 65),” said Philip VanCleave, the group’s president in an email to Guns.com.

“Virginia already has laws for manslaughter, reckless handing of a firearm, shooting across a road, shooting into an occupied dwelling or vehicle, etc.,” he continued, indicating the apparent redundancy of the measure.

“The bill was nothing but another piece of useless gun control that won’t save a single life put in by a political ambulance chaser after a poor little boy was hit and killed by a gun shot into the air on July 4, 2013,” added VanCleave, pointing out “So far they have not found the idiot that killed him.”

http://www.guns.com/2014/02/24/virgi...rongly-oppose/
    But once tempered and revised by the House to make more sense,
    "VCDL Comments
    Due to changes to this bill, VCDL is now neutral on it."

SB65 & HB810 have each been revised from their objectionable originals to now be identical, and to now have both been approved by the houses to amend § 18.2-56.1. Reckless handling of firearms; reckless handling while hunting:
    • SB65, A1. Any person who handles any firearm in a manner so gross, wanton, and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life and causes the serious bodily injury of another person resulting in permanent and significant physical impairment is guilty of a Class 6 felony
    • HB810, A1. Any person who handles any firearm in a manner so gross, wanton, and culpable as to show a reckless disregard for human life and causes the serious bodily injury of another person resulting in permanent and significant physical impairment is guilty of a Class 6 felony.

The wording of the amendment, to me, does appear to add another degree of severity that was previously missing, in recognition of reckless handling that results in permanent and significant physical impairment. It's unclear to me where else this was provided for without this addition.

I wonder if there might be a ripple effect of adding the felony category to reckless handling, subsequently opening up 2nd degree murder charges in the case of resultant death based on:
    § 18.2-33. Felony homicide defined; punishment.
    The killing of one accidentally, contrary to the intention of the parties, while in the prosecution of some felonious act other than those specified in §§ 18.2-31 and 18.2-32, is murder of the second degree and is punishable by confinement in a state correctional facility for not less than five years nor more than forty years.

since the trigger of this section was an accidental killing during a felony, now that there's to be a felony-reckless (presuming that death could be considered to be serious bodily injury, and permanent and significant physical impairment).
    Last edited by ChristCrusader; 03-10-2014 at 10:07 AM.

No more free passes for shooting yourself in the foot. ADs/NDs will/may be a Class 6 felony.

Bad law.....really bad law, again.

No exception for LEOs that "accidentally" shoot people???
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

You may have found the only bright spot in dark bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    That omission will not live long but one can argue that the handling regarding the eventual shooting failed to meet the definition of "wanton".
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Yeah, that will stop all the reckless people, for sure.

But what about people who shoot their family members while cleaning guns?

But of course it will work....

Making things illegal or in this case more illegaler always reduces crime. Why, if only it was illegal to commit murder we could stop of all these killings... oh, wait.......
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Another example of feel good legislation, because, the current laws aren't stopping people from being stupid. They have to DO something, anything, as long as they appear to be doing something. Let's just repeat the same laws. Doubling up on existing laws should get the point across and stop stupid people.
    Hoka hey

Quote Originally Posted by ChristCrusader View Post
    But once tempered and revised by the House to make more sense, [ ... ].[my emphasis]
    Sense cannot be made of nonsense.

The probability of a celebratory air-shot, a not aimed shot into the air, causing a fatal GSW is proportional to the ratio of the area of the target to the surface area of a semi-sphere of radius range. It's on the order of 1:10^7, which is to say vanishingly small. The media reports of such hits and fatalities are almost wilful lies by the media and the credulous.

The ballistic arcs through the semi-sphere map uniquely to their termination on the ground (certainly to a first approximation without integrating time).
    • The surface area of a sphere of radius 5280 feet is 3.5 x 10^8 square feet.
    • The surface area of the hemisphere above the ground is 1.75 x 10^8 square feet.
    • The surface area of the semi-sphere not behind the shooter's back is 8.75 x 10^7 square feet.
    • The projected surface area of a human is about 2 feet wide and 5 feet long or 1 x 10^1 square feet.
    • The ratio of the semi-sphere to the human projected surface area is 8.75 x 10^6.
    • Vastly most of the human projected surface area does not contain a vital area, so a ratio of 1:1 x 10^7 is reasonable.
    • It must take absolutely 10^7 air-shots, 10,000,000 (ten million) to cause one fatality and too many have been reported.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Sense cannot be made of nonsense.

The probability of a celebratory air-shot, a not aimed shot into the air, causing a fatal GSW is proportional to the ratio of the area of the target to the surface area of a semi-sphere of radius range. It's on the order of 1:10^7, which is to say vanishingly small. The media reports of such hits and fatalities are almost wilful lies by the media and the credulous.

The ballistic arcs through the semi-sphere map uniquely to their termination on the ground (certainly to a first approximation without integrating time).
    • The surface area of a sphere of radius 5280 feet is 3.5 x 10^8 square feet.
    • The surface area of the hemisphere above the ground is 1.75 x 10^8 square feet.
    • The surface area of the semi-sphere not behind the shooter's back is 8.75 x 10^7 square feet.
    • The projected surface area of a human is about 2 feet wide and 5 feet long or 1 x 10^1 square feet.
    • The ratio of the semi-sphere to the human projected surface area is 8.75 x 10^6.
    • Vastly most of the human projected surface area does not contain a vital area, so a ratio of 1:1 x 10^7 is reasonable.
    • It must take absolutely 10^7 air-shots, 10,000,000 (ten million) to cause one fatality and too many have been reported.
    I'm sure the kid.....err, I mean his parents, are comforted to know that the odds of they being killed are so very very remote.

End appeal to emotion event.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    No more free passes for shooting yourself in the foot. ADs/NDs will/may be a Class 6 felony.
    "...and causes the serious bodily injury of another person..." one's own foot not feloniously prohibited by this paragraph ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Yeah, that will stop all the reckless people, for sure.

But what about people who shoot their family members while cleaning guns?
    Well, I would say that cleaning your gun in such a way that it shoots your wife constitutes "reckless" handling/gunfire.

Unless, of course, the perpetrator is a cop. Then it's just trained professionalism.

marshal, please just allow me to add…,

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Well, I would say that cleaning your gun in such a way that it shoots your wife constitutes "reckless" handling/gunfire.

Unless, of course, the perpetrator is a cop. Then it's just HIGHLY trained professionalism.
    I mean, isn't that what THEY claim? That they're such HIGHLY trained professionals?

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    An exemption will probably be pushed through the next time Fairfax PD kills someone in custody again.
    Last edited by mobeewan; 03-21-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

On a barely, just barely, related note to the above. HI cops want be allowed to engage in hanky panky with "women of the night".....uh, I mean be exempted from the law that makes such hanky panky unlawful. This exemption is required so that "undercover" cops can fight crime.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    On a barely, just barely, related note to the above. HI cops want be allowed to engage in hanky panky with "women of the night".....uh, I mean be exempted from the law that makes such hanky panky unlawful. This exemption is required so that "undercover" cops can fight crime.
    Hell, that's a good thing. Give em all AIDS and clean up the gene pool.

Possibly NSFW: South Park: Sting Operation

Banned
    I'm sure the kid.....err, I mean his parents, are comforted to know that the odds of they being killed are so very very remote.

End appeal to emotion event.
    Well, if they have another kid(s), maybe.

Does this law mean that manslaughter is no longer on the table for these types of incidents?

Can we make it a felony to get into a car accident also then.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristCrusader View Post
    "...and causes the serious bodily injury of another person..." one's own foot not feloniously prohibited by this paragraph ;-)
    Depends if the foot was from a donor.....

(This is a joke)

According to NBC news Washington, it has been signed by the Governor.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...254095241.html
    Last edited by Shovelhead; 04-06-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shovelhead View Post
    According to NBC news Washington, it has been signed by the Governor.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...254095241.html
    Time the celebrate ! Pew pew pew ! Drat!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Hell, that's a good thing. Give em all AIDS and clean up the gene pool.
    More than likely, the taxpayers will also end up having to foot the bill to buy "protection equipment intended to aid police in their duties".
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast