Thread: Places considered Public Buildings?

Places considered Public Buildings?

In Salem, OR. I know that you can legally open carry your firearm unloaded, but I want to know if public transportation and malls are considered Public Building under ORS or can you legally open carry in malls and on buses? If anyone can shed some light on this for me it would be great.

Thanks everyone,

Jeremy
    Salem Tactical, LLC
    www.salemtactical.weebly.com
    503-602-3324

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    The definitions in Oregon Revised Statutes are usually nearby or specifically referenced in statutes. In this case ORS 166.360 defines what a public building is:

“Public building” means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

Banned
    How could the OP even consider a bus being defined as a building?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    How could the OP even consider a bus being defined as a building?
    Probably because the courts make case law that often expands things. To wit, the inside of your car is now considered a "public place" per the Oregon courts.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    Probably because the courts make case law that often expands things. To wit, the inside of your car is now considered a "public place" per the Oregon courts.
    Would it be because the buses are paid for by public money?

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin99 View Post
    Would it be because the buses are paid for by public money?
    Doubtful. That would make it a "public PLACE" but not a public building. Though they could try to push that with the shelters. Remember, anti's don't care what's RIGHT, only what they can get away with.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    But only when they are on public roads! Would that make the state troopers car MY property when it is on my private property?

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"