• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places considered Public Buildings?

salemtactical

In Salem, OR. I know that you can legally open carry your firearm unloaded, but I want to know if public transportation and malls are considered Public Building under ORS or can you legally open carry in malls and on buses? If anyone can shed some light on this for me it would be great.

Thanks everyone,

Jeremy
Salem Tactical, LLC
www.salemtactical.weebly.com
503-602-3324

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The definitions in Oregon Revised Statutes are usually nearby or specifically referenced in statutes. In this case ORS 166.360 defines what a public building is:

“Public building” means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Probably because the courts make case law that often expands things. To wit, the inside of your car is now considered a "public place" per the Oregon courts.

But only when they are on public roads! Would that make the state troopers car MY property when it is on my private property?

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk