• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop kills own pregnant wife cleaning gun.

hovercat

You do not shoot someone accidentally while cleaning your firearm. You shoot someone accidentally while playing with your firearm.
No-one changes the oil on a car while it is running, and no-one cleans a loaded firearm. You can, but the results are less than satisfactory.

I would like to know if he had his cleaning kit out? Had he just returned from the range? Or was cleaning his gun something he did every Friday at 2:30 PM?

No wonder so many otherwise right thinking but uninformed folks are afraid of firearms. You cannot even clean them without someone dying.
It is an accidental tragedy. But for Heaven's sake, you are a state trooper, man up and admit that you were playing with your gun and accidently killed your wife and child.

My point was about the absurdity of a ND while actually cleaning instead of using that as an excuse. substitute 'unintentional' for 'accidental'.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

This wasn't 'accidental'; the rules for clearing a firearm before cleaning are 1) well established 2) published in the Glock owner's manual, and I highly suspect, 3) are taught in law enforcement academies. This was negligent conduct that resulted in the death of an innocent person.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This wasn't 'accidental'; the rules for clearing a firearm before cleaning are 1) well established 2) published in the Glock owner's manual, and I highly suspect, 3) are taught in law enforcement academies. This was negligent conduct that resulted in the death of an innocent person.

This is pretty much how I am looking at it as well.

What is negligence for one individual is not uniform for all individuals.

Tragic accidents are one thing, but I see no way this is not criminal negligence for this individual.

onus

comments removed by administrator

Last edited by a moderator:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The guy made, like five safety errors.

I always say, regarding either the NRA's three or Jeff Cooper's four rules of gun safety, that compliance with any one is enough to at least prevent serious injury.

That is to say, they're redundant because you have to fail to observe all of them for someone to be hurt. And because, while it may be easy to forget one, an attentive person is unlikely to forget all three (or four) simultaneously.

With this perspective, it would seem almost that those who have this sort of accident simply don't consider gun safety at all.

WalkingWolf

I always say, regarding either the NRA's three or Jeff Cooper's four rules of gun safety, that compliance with any one is enough to at least prevent serious injury.

That is to say, they're redundant because you have to fail to observe all of them for someone to be hurt. And because, while it may be easy to forget one, an attentive person is unlikely to forget all three (or four) simultaneously.

With this perspective, it would seem almost that those who have this sort of accident simply don't consider gun safety at all.

Exactly! And if someone drives in a reckless manner that results in death if not a LEO they most likely WILL be charged.

Not saying he should be charged with murder, but reckless homocide? Most definately, this guy should have KNOWN better. At the very least he should never have a job that entails a firearm again. NEVER!

Government takes away firearm rights for life for less than what this man did.

Kopis

All i can say is what a terrible story. I do agree he should be charged, i would expect to be charged if i was in his shoes. Owning a firearm is a big responsibility and if anyone should know the rules it's an LEO.

papa bear

the old police adage "killed while cleaning his gun", used a lot when cops got accidentally got shot in the head

never mind you can't clean a loaded gun.

just another reason LEs should not have deadly weapons

Maverick9

Someone said that cleaning a gun with someone else in the room is not a violation of safety rules.

Let's look at this. People KNOW that NDs happen and people in the room have been shot. If you are not going to a secluded location to play around with your firearm (which includes cleaning) then you are being VERY foolish. We always go to another part of the house to do that.

Why?

Think about it. Another person in the room is a target and a distraction. It's as reasonable as saying 'when cleaning your gun NO AMMO in the room, PERIOD'.

So YES, cleaning a firearm when another person is in the room is foolish and a violation of safety. Here we had this person doing it in the room with his PREGNANT wife. That's two innocent lives snuffed out because someone didn't take this activity seriously nor appreciate the real danger of playing around with your firearm.

But we find cops do this all the time. How many stories do we have of cops sweeping people with their own gun, struggling with an unfamiliar firearm trying to get the magazine out. They are NOT weapons experts, they just THINK they are, because of being overly entitled. IMO, it's high time we disarm the police. They have superior number, radios, less lethal methods, time, and tactics. We are all well aware that many cops only grudgingly go to the range to qualify when it's mandated.

I think a professional should be held to a higher standard as to weapons safety and liability. Maybe then they'll, as a group, take this seriously, stop trying to disarm LACs on the side of the road in traffic.

papa bear

there was a time, when i was cleaning my weapons, when there was a 150 people in the room. difference was we cleared them, and no one had any ammo

weather a gun is loaded or not is a conscience issue. i think you would be more likely to think that there was no "shot while cleaning"

WalkingWolf

Two simple rules, firearms are always loaded, and never point any firearm at anything you do not intend to destroy. A person does not assume a gun is unloaded they make damn sure it is several times. I seem to remember a ring of fire gun company getting sued in CA for a incident very similar to this idiot's incident. Glocks are not a firearm everybody should own or handle, the gun is just not forgiving of idiots.