• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend beaten and robbed at gunpoint this morning

Kopis

I work for a large company with about 30 offices in the memphis area. One of our branch managers (very small girl, maybe 5' or so and 100lbs wet) was jogging with her dog this morning at her apartments in cordova, TN (supposedly one of the better parts of memphis) and was held up by two individuals. She didnt have any money since she was jogging in her complex so they pistol whipped her and beat her pretty badly then kicked her on the ground till she passed out.

I dont really have any more specifics right now about her situational awareness or how it happened but i know she doesnt carry a firearm. Goes to show you how important it is to be vigilant, aware and armed at all times, even at 630am on tuesday.

stealthyeliminator

Carry carry carry, no matter what neighborhood you live in. Don't ever become complacent. I really hope she is ok, physically but especially mentally! I don't know the psychology behind it all but I can only imagine something like that can be very traumatic and hard to cope with for a lot of people. I'm guessing it would be a bad idea to bombard her with "you should start carrying" after an ordeal like this, but perhaps at some point it could be brought up that carrying a firearm for self defense is a good thing to do.

OC for ME

Too late for most. Withdrawl is the easy route. A can of mace/pepper spray is the obvious first choice. Firearms, she will need hand holding on that score.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I work for a large company with about 30 offices in the memphis area. One of our branch managers (very small girl, maybe 5' or so and 100lbs wet) was jogging with her dog this morning at her apartments in cordova, TN (supposedly one of the better parts of memphis) and was held up by two individuals...
Best wishes for your co-worker.

Please let us know if conversations with her, when appropriate, produce greater interest in matters of self-defense.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sorry to hear about that. My well wishes and thoughts go out to her.

We should never blame the victim for the acts of aggressors.

We can point out errors in the victim's behavior that did not mitigate the attack.

Walking around with hundred dollar bills taped to your hat? Expect the $$ to be stolen sooner or later.

Kopis

What's ironic is a few months ago another manager's employee saw me out in this same area OCing at Genghis grill in cordova. he made a comment that he saw me "reppin a big @ss glock" (just a g17 in a comptac OTW straight drop holster) and thought it was stupid because i was in cordova and i didn't need to carry a gun. The next weekend the 5-6 armed guys robbed Reed's jewelers in the wolfchase mall less than a mile away and now this happened just another mile or two down the street.

Even yesterday, i met a buddy for lunch in cordova and while waiting for him the car, i saw a less than reputable looking guy kinda of watching me then walk slowly behind my car, i locked the doors and started the car up and he kind of darted away. Had i not been looking around and had my head buried in my cell phone playing angry birds or something, i would've been a prime target to open the door and rob me/steal my car. I don't know if that was his intention or what but just being aware helped me avert a potentially bad situation.

I do believe the attackers were AA, i didn't think that was relevant but putting it out there can stop the guessing game and comments i suppose. It's really a shame because i have some great black friends, some middle income like myself and others minimum wage but they work 2+ jobs and are great people. Memphis has a real problem with entitlement and the blame game across the board. The previous mayor really worked hard to cultivate race problems to keep himself in office (while he became rich). I remember some of his last radio commercials were playing a rap song called "walk it out" and he was saying "walk it out to the polls and help brother hereton shake the haters off". Another time he was supposed to debate an opponent (white guy named cohen) who is an even BIGGER liberal. he refused at the 11th hour and said the two moderators were racist (i think they were both black lol) and cohen was a white jew who wished he was black or something along those lines. When the leader of your city speaks like that......... it doesn't help cultivate a good atmosphere at all.

No update on the victim yet. Her friend said she cant open her eyes because they are swollen shut and doesn't want to see or talk to anyone right now.

HKcarrier

That's terrible what happened to your co-worker.

I run all the time... I"m 6' and around 200lbs... I guess I'm just a big paranoid sissy, because I don't go running without packin... in fact, I have to trade in the EDC for a pocket pistol (9mm) and I actually feel under gunned... I hope I never get into some sort of altercation, or am able to RUN away...

I just talked to a very small woman in my running group...about 5' and 105lbs... she happens to be an aid for one of our most hated liberal senators... she was talking about taking a month long backpacking vacation through georgia and some other states... up the coast I suppose... on her own... without a vehicle... unarmed.... LOL!!! I just shook my head. Fortunately, some of the other women in the group commented and told her she was bat sh*t crazy to consider that....

PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT. You think it's no big deal? Watch this video. People can be SAVAGES.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=275446419268929

OC for ME

<snip> I just talked to a very small woman in my running group...about 5' and 105lbs... she happens to be an aid for one of our most hated liberal senators... she was talking about taking a month long backpacking vacation through georgia and some other states... up the coast I suppose... on her own... without a vehicle... unarmed.... LOL!!! I just shook my head. Fortunately, some of the other women in the group commented and told her she was bat sh*t crazy to consider that....
Tell her to pack big heat cuz gators don't care that you are OC.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
was jogging with her dog....................

Must not have been much of a dog. Reminds me of the "heart attack" commercial where the guy gets a sticky handed to him saying his heart attack is scheduled for the next day. No one hands you the yellow sticky to tell you when you will need your weapon. IMHO you always need your weapon, you just don't always have to use it.

stealthyeliminator

Must not have been much of a dog. Reminds me of the "heart attack" commercial where the guy gets a sticky handed to him saying his heart attack is scheduled for the next day. No one hands you the yellow sticky to tell you when you will need your weapon. IMHO you always need your weapon, you just don't always have to use it.

Wise words. Will probably steal :)

MamaLiberty

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. When she can open her eyes again, you might give her a free copy of my book, "I Am NOT A Victim"
Read the story of the man I had to shoot to save my life... and follow the directions at the end to get the book. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?page_id=846

Book will be sent, no charge, in pdf file to anyone who sends me an email requesting it. These are the exercises I do myself on a regular basis, and teach to all of my classes. I believe that these exercises could make the difference between a successful defense, and death or serious injury. It’s too important not to at least consider.

Kopis

Mamaliberty, thanks. ill take you up on that.

She did return to work today with a black eye still. She's always been a tough girl i thought but she really showed it by coming in for a meeting with all area employees present. she wore her black eye proudly lol.