Thread: Cop put on leave

Cop put on leave

Your police dept has put that cop on long term admin leave for saying that he just can't wait to bag the law breaker. About time!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...-for-your-gun/

You should probably actually read the press release.

He was already on extended worker's compensation leave. They don't put LEOs on worker's compensation while they investigate them.

In fact, you could have read the first paragraph of the article you posted too:

Quote Originally Posted by TFA
    He said the officer has been on extended workers compensation leave since before complaints were made against him for the Facebook post.
    Last edited by Rich B; 03-11-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    You should probably actually read the press release.

He was already on extended worker's compensation leave. They don't put LEOs on worker's compensation while they investigate them.

In fact, you could have read the first paragraph of the article you posted too:
    Quite right me old Joe. He was ALREADY on EXTENDED LEAVE and NOT put on LEAVE because of the incident. How are cops out there. Here in WI we have trouble in big cities like Milwaukee or Racine or Madison. My police chief friend is a constitutional originalist. Our legislature , governor and the AG are all Republicans and given us a good CC law. But a storm is brewing in the horizon with the elections coming up.

Banned
    He should be fired ....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    He should be fired ....
    For? Sounds like he was sitting on his couch using Facebook and exercising his 1a rights. He's a complete idiot for supposedly wanting to take guns and even dumber for putting it on social media. But its still his 1a right to be an idiot. If he was at work in unifrom representing his dept, city, etc. Then maybe yea reprimand him.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    For? Sounds like he was sitting on his couch using Facebook and exercising his 1a rights. He's a complete idiot for supposedly wanting to take guns and even dumber for putting it on social media. But its still his 1a right to be an idiot. If he was at work in unifrom representing his dept, city, etc. Then maybe yea reprimand him.

If it were you or me putzing on FB and wrote that .. our employers would sack us

not a 2nd amendment issue -- employer-employee-customer relationship

he's be gone

If it were you or me putzing on FB and wrote that .. our employers would sack us

not a 2nd amendment issue -- employer-employee-customer relationship

he's be gone
    I don't know. I'd have to see a clear case where someone got sacked for posting something on Facebook and for every case where an employer did fire someone, I'm sure there can be found a case where a wrongful termination suit was won.

Think it just depends on a lot of what ifs. Like how hard does the employee fight it or how hard does the employer press to fire, what were the comments, etc. Etc.

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Banned
    I don't know. I'd have to see a clear case where someone got sacked for posting something on Facebook and for every case where an employer did fire someone, I'm sure there can be found a case where a wrongful termination suit was won.

Think it just depends on a lot of what ifs. Like how hard does the employee fight it or how hard does the employer press to fire, what were the comments, etc. Etc.

I don't think that there is a public policy against firing someone for threatening to kick a door in ...

I don't think that there is a public policy against firing someone for threatening to kick a door in ...
    Generalized "threats" are protected speech. If the cop had posted that he was gunna kick in DM's door, that may be actionable, but unlikely. Public employees are given a great deal of latitude.....cops especially so.

Officer Harless has his job waiting for him even though he clearly threatened to kill a citizen.

Brandon Raub was incarcerated involuntarily in a mental health clinic for expressing his first amendment rights on facebook.

Bet this state agent has nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Brandon Raub was incarcerated involuntarily in a mental health clinic for expressing his first amendment rights on facebook. Bet this state agent has nothing to worry about.
    Well and timely said!
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I will have to dig, but there was a firefighter and I believe a police officer sacked for their comments about Trayvon Martin on facebook. I think the firefighter was sacked for just calling TM a thug.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

[QUOTE=Primus;2043232]For? Sounds like he was sitting on his couch using Facebook and exercising his 1a rights. He's a complete idiot for supposedly wanting to take guns and even dumber for putting it on social media. But its still his 1a right to be an idiot. If he was at work in unifrom representing his dept, city, etc. Then maybe yea reprimand him.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

If he was at work in unifrom representing his dept, city, etc. Then maybe yea reprimand him.
    I have always heard that cops retain there authority 24 hours a day...... until your badge is revoked you are always a cop......even on a social forum.

Ask a cop in a social setting who they are and more often than not you will be told ...I'm a cop.

I know that's your job but, who are you? I'm a cop

Oh, except when it's convenient to not be a cop........

Power comes with great responsibility!!!! social media can leave bite marks.
    Last edited by 2OLD2W8; 03-12-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand

"free people ought...to be armed." In so doing we grasp the larger lesson that the ability to defend ourselves is part and parcel to our freedom. George Washington , January 7, 1790