• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cop put on leave

Rich B

You should probably actually read the press release.

He was already on extended worker's compensation leave. They don't put LEOs on worker's compensation while they investigate them.

In fact, you could have read the first paragraph of the article you posted too:

TFA said:
He said the officer has been on extended workers compensation leave since before complaints were made against him for the Facebook post.

Last edited:

Law abider

You should probably actually read the press release.

He was already on extended worker's compensation leave. They don't put LEOs on worker's compensation while they investigate them.

In fact, you could have read the first paragraph of the article you posted too:

Quite right me old Joe. He was ALREADY on EXTENDED LEAVE and NOT put on LEAVE because of the incident. How are cops out there. Here in WI we have trouble in big cities like Milwaukee or Racine or Madison. My police chief friend is a constitutional originalist. Our legislature , governor and the AG are all Republicans and given us a good CC law. But a storm is brewing in the horizon with the elections coming up.

Primus

He should be fired ....

For? Sounds like he was sitting on his couch using Facebook and exercising his 1a rights. He's a complete idiot for supposedly wanting to take guns and even dumber for putting it on social media. But its still his 1a right to be an idiot. If he was at work in unifrom representing his dept, city, etc. Then maybe yea reprimand him.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
For? Sounds like he was sitting on his couch using Facebook and exercising his 1a rights. He's a complete idiot for supposedly wanting to take guns and even dumber for putting it on social media. But its still his 1a right to be an idiot. If he was at work in unifrom representing his dept, city, etc. Then maybe yea reprimand him.

If it were you or me putzing on FB and wrote that .. our employers would sack us

not a 2nd amendment issue -- employer-employee-customer relationship

he's be gone

Primus

If it were you or me putzing on FB and wrote that .. our employers would sack us

not a 2nd amendment issue -- employer-employee-customer relationship

he's be gone

I don't know. I'd have to see a clear case where someone got sacked for posting something on Facebook and for every case where an employer did fire someone, I'm sure there can be found a case where a wrongful termination suit was won.

Think it just depends on a lot of what ifs. Like how hard does the employee fight it or how hard does the employer press to fire, what were the comments, etc. Etc.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I don't know. I'd have to see a clear case where someone got sacked for posting something on Facebook and for every case where an employer did fire someone, I'm sure there can be found a case where a wrongful termination suit was won.

Think it just depends on a lot of what ifs. Like how hard does the employee fight it or how hard does the employer press to fire, what were the comments, etc. Etc.

I don't think that there is a public policy against firing someone for threatening to kick a door in ...

OC for ME

I don't think that there is a public policy against firing someone for threatening to kick a door in ...
Generalized "threats" are protected speech. If the cop had posted that he was gunna kick in DM's door, that may be actionable, but unlikely. Public employees are given a great deal of latitude.....cops especially so.

Officer Harless has his job waiting for him even though he clearly threatened to kill a citizen.

PistolPackingMomma

Brandon Raub was incarcerated involuntarily in a mental health clinic for expressing his first amendment rights on facebook.

Bet this state agent has nothing to worry about.

WalkingWolf

I will have to dig, but there was a firefighter and I believe a police officer sacked for their comments about Trayvon Martin on facebook. I think the firefighter was sacked for just calling TM a thug.

2OLD2W8

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

If he was at work in unifrom representing his dept, city, etc. Then maybe yea reprimand him.

I have always heard that cops retain there authority 24 hours a day...... until your badge is revoked you are always a cop......even on a social forum.

Ask a cop in a social setting who they are and more often than not you will be told ...I'm a cop.

I know that's your job but, who are you? I'm a cop :shocker:

Oh, except when it's convenient to not be a cop........:banghead:

Power comes with great responsibility!!!! social media can leave bite marks.

Last edited: