• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Report says homicides in Milw. up 15% from 2012

Law abider

http://fox6now.com/2014/03/10/report-says-homicides-in-milw-up-15-from-2012/

Why are we letting these criminals back out on the street?!

I mentioned another aspect of this in my post:Milwaukee's police chief raises the question of whether mandatory arrests are the best way to deal with non-felony domestic abuse. That's after an updated study shows that more abuse victims are likely to die when their attackers are arrested by police, rather than warned. The University of Maryland followed up on a Milwaukee study from the late 1980's, after Wisconsin started requiring mandatory arrests for domestic abuse calls. It showed that 64-percent of the city's abuse victims were more likely to die early from all causes if their partners get arrests instead of warnings. Among African-Americans, the early deaths rise by 98-percent. Police Chief Ed Flynn plans to join the study's main researcher -- Lawrence Sherman -- at a policing conference in London tomorrow to present the new findings. Advocates for abuse victims say the arrests hold abusers accountable, and they question the methods in obtaining the new findings. They say society has changed since the 1980's, and Flynn agrees. He says there's now a much wider array of public-and-private services to address domestic violence, besides just the criminal justice system.

Last edited: