• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dispatching wounded animals

davidmcbeth

Banned
I am currently under the impression that only LEOs in the course of duty, or a person legally defending themselves can fire in or within a certain distance of any public roadway. I've seen police put down wounded animals on and near the road before, but that likely falls under the "course of duty" clause for them. Unless said rabbit is actively trying to eat your face, the answer is probably "don't".

Jesus likes foot-stomps?

CT Barfly

Don't do it if you are unsure of the legality in your jurisdiction...in my state you can lose your permit/license for misusing it. self defense means self defense. you wanna kill wildlife, get a hunting permit.

that said, i have heard (but have no idea if true) that drawing a line from left eye to right ear, and right eye to left ear, and placing a round at the intersection of those two lines will obliterate the medulla oblongata of whatever you're euthanizing. .22 will do the same job as a .50AE or 12ga birdshot.

no idea if that's true, no clue on what angle to aim at...so this advice is worth what you paid for it.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
"We," you and the mouse in your pocket?

The white footed mouse Peromyscus leucopus is the (almost) obligate host reservoir for the Lyme Disease causing bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. Squirrels may be pests but are this much more innocuous than the mouse.

In human terms, squirrels are among the most selfish and aggressive of animals (aside from overt parasites). They very well may exceed mice in many respects.

In animals terms, none of that matters anyway. An animal doesn't need justification for, or have strong feelings about, say, the killing of another animal who enters its territory.

In other words, **** squirrels.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Used to be an avid squirrel hunter. At the same time I had a "pet" squirrel living in my backyard - used to feed her peanuts, she would ride contentedly on my shoulder. She even introduced her babies to me.

My actions (hunting v. socializing) confused a lot of people. One day someone asked me how I determined the difference in the treatment of the squirrels. Simple: my choice was made by where they live.

Same criteria in where they die.

A**hat kid across the street shot Sweet Thing, just because she stole a tomato from his garden.

conhntr

I run in to this issue regularly. I live on a lake and therefore have a nutria issue while also owning a dog whose natural instinct is to hunt and eat prey (and she is quite adept at it). My Siberian husky frequently catches nutria, rabbits, and ducks.
Hopefully on your land but id be weary of allowing the dog to "self hunt" and especially if it habitually is taking waterfowl out of season.

Va beach Sec. 5-530. Dogs or cats running at large.
(a)
Any person owning, keeping or harboring any dog or cat within the city that is found running at large shall be guilty of a class 4 misdemeanor. For the purposes of the section, a dog shall be deemed to run at large while roaming, running or self hunting off the property of its owner or custodian.

If its killing waterfowl under your supervision out of season/without a license...

Justine

Hopefully on your land but id be weary of allowing the dog to "self hunt" and especially if it habitually is taking waterfowl out of season.

Va beach Sec. 5-530. Dogs or cats running at large.
(a)
Any person owning, keeping or harboring any dog or cat within the city that is found running at large shall be guilty of a class 4 misdemeanor. For the purposes of the section, a dog shall be deemed to run at large while roaming, running or self hunting off the property of its owner or custodian.

If its killing waterfowl under your supervision out of season/without a license...

My dog is NOT running at large. She is contained within my yard, and the animals are coming in to my yard. She kills ducks, nutria, rabbits, etc. I've already contacted the VA Department of Wildlife and the Gaming and Fishing people. They've ALL told me that because I've taken ample precautions to prevent my dog from getting to wildlife (fenced in yard, chained up dog, etc.) I am clear of any liability. The ranger I spoke with specifically told me that sometimes animals will be animals and there's nothing you can do about it. Considering any dead critters are contained in my yard and disposed of on my property... it's a non-issue since I'm the only one who has to know about it anyway. But I had hoped they'd have a solution. LOL They told me there isn't any other than what I've already done.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My dog is NOT running at large. She is contained within my yard, and the animals are coming in to my yard. She kills ducks, nutria, rabbits, etc. I've already contacted the VA Department of Wildlife and the Gaming and Fishing people. They've ALL told me that because I've taken ample precautions to prevent my dog from getting to wildlife (fenced in yard, chained up dog, etc.) I am clear of any liability. The ranger I spoke with specifically told me that sometimes animals will be animals and there's nothing you can do about it. Considering any dead critters are contained in my yard and disposed of on my property... it's a non-issue since I'm the only one who has to know about it anyway. But I had hoped they'd have a solution. LOL They told me there isn't any other than what I've already done.

It's just common sense Justine. Here's a real mind teaser. During the spring Woodpeckers, which are Federally protected, like to bang away, sometimes on houses, to get attention. It's illegal to kill them...period! What do you do?

I have that happen once in a while and I go out and say "Go away":lol:......I think my nose just grew:uhoh: