Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum/VA and have questions and concerns

New to Forum/VA and have questions and concerns

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to VA (DEC 2013) I have had a ccw through Alabama but have never OC'd.
    I was just kinda curious what attire you normally wear when OC'ing. I've heard that dressing
    well while OC'ing gives good impressions and a good image to all that OC. Any tips/advice would be great.

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    You'll get lots of comments, but basically, there's one guideline. Don't dress like a criminal, thug, or any other miscreant so as to avoid negative attention. But there really are no rules. Wear whatever you are comfortable in that allows you to avoid accidental full concealment. If you observe the guideline, most folk will hardly notice you are OCing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Be active.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sommers.usaf View Post
    Hi all,

I'm fairly new to VA (DEC 2013) I have had a ccw through Alabama but have never OC'd.
    I was just kinda curious what attire you normally wear when OC'ing. I've heard that dressing
    well while OC'ing gives good impressions and a good image to all that OC. Any tips/advice would be great.
    Depends on the day

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The four faces of Eve Nap
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Also, I'm noticing a lot of people on here mention using hip and IWB holsters. Does any ever OC with a tactical thigh holster?

Also, I'm noticing a lot of people on here mention using hip and IWB holsters. Does any ever OC with a tactical thigh holster?
    Sure some do and others with shoulder rigs, though a majority tend to stick with OWB holsters.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Welco9me aboard!

Hi all,

There are no requirements (as in AFR 35-10), but the goal is to present a positive image both physically and in your manner.

Some days, it is jeans and a T-shirt. Others it is dress slacks and a button down.(Yes, sometimes I wear the dreaded tie) The main point is make it a positive experience and to be safe.

Feel free to join us at one of the dinners or the weekly breakfast in Richmond. All are welcome.

Be sure to sign up for VCDL Alerts and join if you so choose.

;>)

Six (6) responses and nobody has yet said "Welcome"? How utterly rude of us to forget our manners.

Welcome to OCDO and to Virginia.

What to wear when OWB OCing? If you are a guy my best recommendation is: pants. Or maybe shorts. A kilt if you either of the proper ethnic heritage or just have the legs to pull it off. If you are not a guy skirts or dresses are OK. (If you are a guy who likes/wants to wear a skirt/dress expect that to be the topic of conversation rather than the fact you are OCing.)

A belt helps, too. Do not let us get started on gun belts vs. dress belts.

Tactical thigh holsters usually make a horrible fashion statement when worn with most clothing not associated with tactical behavior. But there are no real fashion police, so if that's your preference go for it.

If you don't see us when you are out and about (we are usually the clam, quiet, polite ones as opposed to the hoplophobic paranoid folks who are screaming their heads offbout someone who is not a cop wearing a gun) do come to meet us at the Saturday breakfasts and (preferably to merely "or) the monthly dinners.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Dear Post # 8

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Six (6) responses and nobody has yet said "Welcome"? How utterly rude of us to forget our manners.

Welcome to OCDO and to Virginia.

What to wear when OWB OCing? If you are a guy my best recommendation is: pants. Or maybe shorts. A kilt if you either of the proper ethnic heritage or just have the legs to pull it off. If you are not a guy skirts or dresses are OK. (If you are a guy who likes/wants to wear a skirt/dress expect that to be the topic of conversation rather than the fact you are OCing.)

A belt helps, too. Do not let us get started on gun belts vs. dress belts.

Tactical thigh holsters usually make a horrible fashion statement when worn with most clothing not associated with tactical behavior. But there are no real fashion police, so if that's your preference go for it.

If you don't see us when you are out and about (we are usually the clam, quiet, polite ones as opposed to the hoplophobic paranoid folks who are screaming their heads offbout someone who is not a cop wearing a gun) do come to meet us at the Saturday breakfasts and (preferably to merely "or) the monthly dinners.

stay safe.
    Please check Post # 7. The title is Welcome Aboard! (Never mind the typo)

Seems YOU need to borrow MY glasses Skid. LOL

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Does any ever OC with a tactical thigh holster?
    Oh, lord no. Please don't do that.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

As of right now, the only holster I have is a thigh holster for my Beretta 92. I do however also have a 1911 but not so much any holster for it. Any suggestions on carry position/holster brand?

^^ What's a thigh holster? You mean garter belt style?

Here's a good set of tips for OC-ing as a newbie
    1. Try to OC with a partner, better yet with an experienced OC-er
    2. Attend an OC lunch or meal with other OC-ers
    3. Wear a black-on-black holster with a small dark revolver at the 4:00 position - almost nobody will notice it. Dress nicely, using the clothing color to mask your holster and firearm.
    4. Be very polite and well-mannered, but don't call attention to yourself
    5. Go places where OC is expected and respected

Again, as a newbie. After a while you won't have those early concerns.

Welcome and good carrying.
    Last edited by Maverick9; 03-13-2014 at 12:14 PM.

As of right now, the only holster I have is a thigh holster for my Beretta 92. I do however also have a 1911 but not so much any holster for it. Any suggestions on carry position/holster brand?
    Sure...............hundreds of them

Outside of the fact that ProShooter may shake his head some, wear what you've got and with which you are comfortable .

Many here like the Serpa CQC holster for OC. Others will only wear leather.......yet carry plastic guns Go figure

Nice thing about the Serpa is that it comes with both paddle & belt slide attachments. There also is an option for a device that will allow carry as a thigh or chest rig.

a holster with some form of retention is highly recommended. i like leather OWB with a thumb-break strap over the top.

Welcome to OCDO and VA!

Use whichever holster you feel is most comfortable and provides adequate retention (whether that be a well fitted leather or a serpa). I've seen a few people OC-ing with thigh holsters, though most people that I know and associate with utilize either an IWB or OWB. It's not our place to tell you how you carry, that's up to you and your comfort and capabilities. Many will give recommendations, but at the end of the day every person is different and what they're comfortable with is different. If you have any friends who also OC in the area try a few of their holsters and see if you're comfortable with them.

You're luck you're not a woman... we have to properly accessorize/ color coordinate... makes it that much more complicated. ;-)

Enjoy!

Wink

Thank you all for the responses and great info! I'll be a little more specific, it's a Blackhawk! tactical thigh holster. I have that because it was given to me for my Beretta but I do intend on getting a compact/sub-compact...maybe a Beretta Storm, Springfield XD, or S&W M&P. Any of you carry the firearms listed above? Pros? Cons?

Thank you all for the responses and great info! I'll be a little more specific, it's a Blackhawk! tactical thigh holster. I have that because it was given to me for my Beretta but I do intend on getting a compact/sub-compact...maybe a Beretta Storm, Springfield XD, or S&W M&P. Any of you carry the firearms listed above? Pros? Cons?
    I've got the Beretta PX4 Storm in compact. I like it, it's a nice gun, smooth trigger pull, low recoil and comfortable grip. My friend has one in full size (men have bigger hands than women most of the time) and he loves it, too. Both of us are military and have used the M9 and both of us prefer the PX4 over the M9.
    Last edited by Justine; 03-13-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justine View Post
    I've got the Beretta PX4 Storm in compact. I like it, it's a nice gun, smooth trigger pull, low recoil and comfortable grip. My friend has one in full size (men have bigger hands than women most of the time) and he loves it, too. Both of us are military and have used the M9 and both of us prefer the PX4 over the M9.

I've been wanting a Storm for some time and was at a Bass Pro in Missouri when she saw an Inox Storm and fell in love. At some point I'll be getting her the Inox and myself either the compact or sub-compact

welcome to VA, one of the freer states in the union. hopefully the new governor won't screw it up to bad.

you know AL is a open carry state too.

have you had a chance to check out VCDL.org. one of the better gun rights organizations in the country

BTW, a CCW is a concealed carry weapon, not a CHP concealed handgun permit
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

I've been wanting a Storm for some time and was at a Bass Pro in Missouri when she saw an Inox Storm and fell in love. At some point I'll be getting her the Inox and myself either the compact or sub-compact
    I'm a little jealous... I bought mine before the INOX came out and that is certainly a good looking gun. I want one, but can't justify the expense since I already have one.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    welcome to VA, one of the freer states in the union. hopefully the new governor won't screw it up to bad.

you know AL is a open carry state too.

have you had a chance to check out VCDL.org. one of the better gun rights organizations in the country

BTW, a CCW is a concealed carry weapon, not a CHP concealed handgun permit
    Correction: I was issued a Concealed Pistol Permit in AL. I have visited VCDL and am getting paid tomorrow, I intend on signing up ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Justine View Post
    I'm a little jealous... I bought mine before the INOX came out and that is certainly a good looking gun. I want one, but can't justify the expense since I already have one.
    The Storms have to unfortunately wait a little while. I recently found out that my wife and I are expecting a child come this fall!

The Storms have to unfortunately wait a little while. I recently found out that my wife and I are expecting a child come this fall!
    Hoo-rha! Time to start setting aside funds for a Crickett

$1.00/week will net the price + case and accessories by the time he/she is old enough to handle it - get a special piggy bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Hoo-rha! Time to start setting aside funds for a Crickett

$1.00/week will net the price + case and accessories by the time he/she is old enough to handle it - get a special piggy bank.
    It's all in the plan! I have a couple .22s that my grandfathers have given me and then a small step up I purchased, .22 Mag so this child will be introduced to firearms ASAP. I think I started at about 8 or 9ish. May wanna get a earlier start with my little one

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I carry my Beretta 92 in this; I love the holster so much I have one (or more) for every handgun I own. There's a gun named Engin Ordoglu (sp?) who sells them at the Richmond and Fredericksburg gun shows.

Welcome to OCDO, and Virginia, from an AF retiree
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast