• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Forum/VA and have questions and concerns

sommers.usaf

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to VA (DEC 2013) I have had a ccw through Alabama but have never OC'd.
I was just kinda curious what attire you normally wear when OC'ing. I've heard that dressing
well while OC'ing gives good impressions and a good image to all that OC. Any tips/advice would be great.

Liberty-or-Death

You'll get lots of comments, but basically, there's one guideline. Don't dress like a criminal, thug, or any other miscreant so as to avoid negative attention. But there really are no rules. Wear whatever you are comfortable in that allows you to avoid accidental full concealment. If you observe the guideline, most folk will hardly notice you are OCing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to VA (DEC 2013) I have had a ccw through Alabama but have never OC'd.
I was just kinda curious what attire you normally wear when OC'ing. I've heard that dressing
well while OC'ing gives good impressions and a good image to all that OC. Any tips/advice would be great.

Depends on the day:uhoh:

sommers.usaf

Also, I'm noticing a lot of people on here mention using hip and IWB holsters. Does any ever OC with a tactical thigh holster?

va_tazdad

Welco9me aboard!

Hi all,

There are no requirements (as in AFR 35-10), but the goal is to present a positive image both physically and in your manner.

Some days, it is jeans and a T-shirt. Others it is dress slacks and a button down.(Yes, sometimes I wear the dreaded tie) The main point is make it a positive experience and to be safe.

Feel free to join us at one of the dinners or the weekly breakfast in Richmond. All are welcome.

Be sure to sign up for VCDL Alerts and join if you so choose.

;>)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Six (6) responses and nobody has yet said "Welcome"? How utterly rude of us to forget our manners.

Welcome to OCDO and to Virginia.

What to wear when OWB OCing? If you are a guy my best recommendation is: pants. Or maybe shorts. A kilt if you either of the proper ethnic heritage or just have the legs to pull it off. If you are not a guy skirts or dresses are OK. (If you are a guy who likes/wants to wear a skirt/dress expect that to be the topic of conversation rather than the fact you are OCing.)

A belt helps, too. Do not let us get started on gun belts vs. dress belts.

Tactical thigh holsters usually make a horrible fashion statement when worn with most clothing not associated with tactical behavior. But there are no real fashion police, so if that's your preference go for it.

If you don't see us when you are out and about (we are usually the clam, quiet, polite ones as opposed to the hoplophobic paranoid folks who are screaming their heads offbout someone who is not a cop wearing a gun) do come to meet us at the Saturday breakfasts and (preferably to merely "or) the monthly dinners.

stay safe.

va_tazdad

Dear Post # 8

Six (6) responses and nobody has yet said "Welcome"? How utterly rude of us to forget our manners.

Welcome to OCDO and to Virginia.

What to wear when OWB OCing? If you are a guy my best recommendation is: pants. Or maybe shorts. A kilt if you either of the proper ethnic heritage or just have the legs to pull it off. If you are not a guy skirts or dresses are OK. (If you are a guy who likes/wants to wear a skirt/dress expect that to be the topic of conversation rather than the fact you are OCing.)

A belt helps, too. Do not let us get started on gun belts vs. dress belts.

Tactical thigh holsters usually make a horrible fashion statement when worn with most clothing not associated with tactical behavior. But there are no real fashion police, so if that's your preference go for it.

If you don't see us when you are out and about (we are usually the clam, quiet, polite ones as opposed to the hoplophobic paranoid folks who are screaming their heads offbout someone who is not a cop wearing a gun) do come to meet us at the Saturday breakfasts and (preferably to merely "or) the monthly dinners.

stay safe.

Please check Post # 7. The title is Welcome Aboard! (Never mind the typo)

Seems YOU need to borrow MY glasses Skid. LOL

sommers.usaf

As of right now, the only holster I have is a thigh holster for my Beretta 92. I do however also have a 1911 but not so much any holster for it. Any suggestions on carry position/holster brand?

Maverick9

^^ What's a thigh holster? You mean garter belt style?

Here's a good set of tips for OC-ing as a newbie
1. Try to OC with a partner, better yet with an experienced OC-er
2. Attend an OC lunch or meal with other OC-ers
3. Wear a black-on-black holster with a small dark revolver at the 4:00 position - almost nobody will notice it. Dress nicely, using the clothing color to mask your holster and firearm.
4. Be very polite and well-mannered, but don't call attention to yourself
5. Go places where OC is expected and respected

Again, as a newbie. After a while you won't have those early concerns.

Welcome and good carrying.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As of right now, the only holster I have is a thigh holster for my Beretta 92. I do however also have a 1911 but not so much any holster for it. Any suggestions on carry position/holster brand?
Sure...............hundreds of them :)

Outside of the fact that ProShooter may shake his head some, wear what you've got and with which you are comfortable .

Many here like the Serpa CQC holster for OC. Others will only wear leather.......yet carry plastic guns Go figure :p

Nice thing about the Serpa is that it comes with both paddle & belt slide attachments. There also is an option for a device that will allow carry as a thigh or chest rig.

Justine

Welcome to OCDO and VA!

Use whichever holster you feel is most comfortable and provides adequate retention (whether that be a well fitted leather or a serpa). I've seen a few people OC-ing with thigh holsters, though most people that I know and associate with utilize either an IWB or OWB. It's not our place to tell you how you carry, that's up to you and your comfort and capabilities. Many will give recommendations, but at the end of the day every person is different and what they're comfortable with is different. If you have any friends who also OC in the area try a few of their holsters and see if you're comfortable with them.

You're luck you're not a woman... we have to properly accessorize/ color coordinate... makes it that much more complicated. ;-)

Enjoy!

sommers.usaf

Thank you all for the responses and great info! I'll be a little more specific, it's a Blackhawk! tactical thigh holster. I have that because it was given to me for my Beretta but I do intend on getting a compact/sub-compact...maybe a Beretta Storm, Springfield XD, or S&W M&P. Any of you carry the firearms listed above? Pros? Cons?

Justine

Thank you all for the responses and great info! I'll be a little more specific, it's a Blackhawk! tactical thigh holster. I have that because it was given to me for my Beretta but I do intend on getting a compact/sub-compact...maybe a Beretta Storm, Springfield XD, or S&W M&P. Any of you carry the firearms listed above? Pros? Cons?

I've got the Beretta PX4 Storm in compact. I like it, it's a nice gun, smooth trigger pull, low recoil and comfortable grip. My friend has one in full size (men have bigger hands than women most of the time) and he loves it, too. Both of us are military and have used the M9 and both of us prefer the PX4 over the M9.

Last edited:

sommers.usaf

I've got the Beretta PX4 Storm in compact. I like it, it's a nice gun, smooth trigger pull, low recoil and comfortable grip. My friend has one in full size (men have bigger hands than women most of the time) and he loves it, too. Both of us are military and have used the M9 and both of us prefer the PX4 over the M9.

I've been wanting a Storm for some time and was at a Bass Pro in Missouri when she saw an Inox Storm and fell in love. At some point I'll be getting her the Inox and myself either the compact or sub-compact

papa bear

welcome to VA, one of the freer states in the union. hopefully the new governor won't screw it up to bad.

you know AL is a open carry state too.

have you had a chance to check out VCDL.org. one of the better gun rights organizations in the country

BTW, a CCW is a concealed carry weapon, not a CHP concealed handgun permit

Justine

I've been wanting a Storm for some time and was at a Bass Pro in Missouri when she saw an Inox Storm and fell in love. At some point I'll be getting her the Inox and myself either the compact or sub-compact

I'm a little jealous... I bought mine before the INOX came out and that is certainly a good looking gun. I want one, but can't justify the expense since I already have one. :D