• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is up with Gresham and other cities within Multnomah

TonyA

I haven't heard back from the lawyer representing the case against the new Multnomah wide ban on OC so I am wanting to ask you guys what you think. I have continued to OC in this area, I usually carry loaded but have started carrying with mag in pocket, because I am not completely sure what the standing is on OC here. Some want to say the new laws pertain to unincorporated areas of the county, others say it's county wide. I live in a horrible neighborhood, I was denied my CHL, I walk to work or home in the dark... I have a family to protect... What am I to do?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
When in doubt, read the law itself. This is what the Multnomah code on the subject reads:

§ 15.064 POSSESSION OF A LOADED
FIREARM IN A PUBLIC PLACE.

(A) It is unlawful for any person in a public
place, to carry a firearm upon the person, or while in
a vehicle in a public place, unless all ammunition
has been removed from the chamber and from the
cylinder, clip, or magazine. A person who violates
this section is subject to penalty even if the person
did not know that ammunition was in the cylinder,
chamber, clip or magazine.

(B) The prohibitions of subsection (A) of this
section do not apply to or affect:

(1) Those listed in ORS 166.173(2).

(2) Licensed hunters engaged in lawful
hunting.

(3) Persons engaged in target shooting at an
established shooting range, shooting gallery or other
area designed and built for the purpose of target
shooting.

(4) A government employee authorized or
required by his or her employment or office to carry
firearms.

(5) A security guard employed at a
financial institution insured by the Federal Deposit
Insurance Corporation and an armed security
professional that is certified by the Department of
Public Safety Standards and Training while on duty.

(6) Any person otherwise authorized by law
to possess a loaded firearm in a public place.

(7) A person with written authorization
from the Multnomah County Sheriff or his designee.

(C) It is unlawful for any person who possesses
a firearm, clip or magazine in or upon a public
place, or while in a vehicle in a public place, to
refuse to permit a peace officer to inspect that
firearm, clip or magazine after the peace officer has
identified himself or herself as such. The
prohibitions of this subsection do not apply to or
affect the persons listed in subsection (B) of this
section.
(Ord. 1203, Amended 7/11/13; Ord. 1199, passed 4/25/13)

Unless there's been some court ruling this entire code as unconstitutional, you would be violating this county code by carrying a loaded handgun since you lack a CHL.

Jeff. State

Banned
I haven't heard back from the lawyer representing the case against the new Multnomah wide ban on OC so I am wanting to ask you guys what you think. I have continued to OC in this area, I usually carry loaded but have started carrying with mag in pocket, because I am not completely sure what the standing is on OC here. Some want to say the new laws pertain to unincorporated areas of the county, others say it's county wide. I live in a horrible neighborhood, I was denied my CHL, I walk to work or home in the dark... I have a family to protect... What am I to do?

The RIGHT to keep and bear arms does not rely on obtaining government PERMISSION, the 2nd Amendment actually specifically states your RIGHT is absolute (SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED).

"What am I to do?"

Defend yourself and your family however you see fit! It is your NATURAL RIGHT as a human being. How dare any other human being or "government" tell you, "you are not allowed".

TonyA

Why were you denied a CHL?

The sheriff determined that based on police incidents dating all the way back to 2005 that I was a danger to myself or others. I have had a lot of drama and strife in my family. There have been a lot of police calls made in my family. The years listed were 2005, 2006, and 2010. I don't know what happened in 2010.

I am wondering if at some point I could apply again and these issues will be looked past. I'm worried that I may never be able to get a CHL.

OC Freedom

The sheriff determined that based on police incidents dating all the way back to 2005 that I was a danger to myself or others. I have had a lot of drama and strife in my family. There have been a lot of police calls made in my family. The years listed were 2005, 2006, and 2010. I don't know what happened in 2010.

I am wondering if at some point I could apply again and these issues will be looked past. I'm worried that I may never be able to get a CHL.

I would suggest going across the river to Vancouver Wash. and getting a Washington CPL. The permit is so easy to aquire, it consist of one page of questions that are no harder than filling out the form for a handgun purchase. So when you try for your Oregon permit again they will ask you on the application if you have a permit from any other state. Then you can list your permit from Washington state and it may sway them to approve your Oregon permit.

My opinion is that Oregon is a real pain in the........ good luck

solus

I would suggest going across the river to Vancouver Wash. and getting a Washington CPL. The permit is so easy to aquire, it consist of one page of questions that are no harder than filling out the form for a handgun purchase. So when you try for your Oregon permit again they will ask you on the application if you have a permit from any other state. Then you can list your permit from Washington state and it may sway them to approve your Oregon permit.

My opinion is that Oregon is a real pain in the........ good luck

i'm sorry, did you miss where the OP and his family has an apparent history with local LEs, as recent as 3+ years ago, to the point it sounds like the OP's self report concerns mental health issues, quote TonyA 30 Mar 14:"... that I was a danger to myself or others. I have had a lot of drama and strife in my family. There have been a lot of police calls made in my family. unquote. (emphasis mine)

Yes, the WA non resident permit is easy to get but they do accomplish a bkgnd check for goodness sakes. Further, OR doesn't recognize WA's (or any other states for that matter) permit.

Actually, kudo to the sheriff for standing up and saying no! that said, in retrospect, if the sheriff put the specifics in writing, i do not believe the op has told the the whole story.

of consideration, with the OP's self reported judicial history, where did the OP obtain a firearm he professes he carries?

ipse

Last edited:

OC Freedom

i'm sorry, did you miss where the OP and his family has an apparent history with local LEs, as recent as 3+ years ago, to the point it sounds like the OP's self report concerns mental health issues, quote TonyA 30 Mar 14:"... that I was a danger to myself or others. I have had a lot of drama and strife in my family. There have been a lot of police calls made in my family. unquote. (emphasis mine)

Yes, the WA non resident permit is easy to get but they do accomplish a bkgnd check for goodness sakes. Further, OR doesn't recognize WA's (or any other states for that matter) permit.

Actually, kudo to the sheriff for standing up and saying no! that said, in retrospect, if the sheriff put the specifics in writing, i do not believe the op has told the the whole story.

of consideration, with the OP's self reported judicial history, where did the OP obtain a firearm he professes he carries?

ipse

I didn't read anything in his post about having a conviction. Being charged or suspected doesn't mean anything unless you have been convicted and that also goes for a leo's opinion. Yes, Oregon does not reconize Washington's permit, but they do ask if you have any permit from another state on the Oregon application.

Oregon will deny you even without a conviction if you don't meet their strict standard moral guidelines. Washington does not care about charges or your character, they only look at covictions or court ordered mental evaluations/detainment.

I have a upin through NICS/FBI, a Washington permit and Oregon will not approve me. Oregon will deny you a permit for just about any excuse they can come up with. He might have a shot at a Oregon permit if he has one from another state and gets a person with some common sense when reviewing his application.

No convictions, no denial. Oregon is a pain in the. ........

DaveT319

You didn't see about a conviction, but you also didn't see that there wasn't one. Note the OP did not elaborate on the situations in any way. Could be he's intentionally leaving out a conviction?

As for where he got the firearm... in OR you can do private sales without a background check, so he could have gotten it that way, even if he was a convicted felon.

I think the OP is intentionally leaving out details - which he has every right to do. Seems like his only option is OC (at least for now), but if he DOES have a criminal history, he's taking a big chance by carrying a gun at all.

OC Freedom

The RIGHT to keep and bear arms does not rely on obtaining government PERMISSION, the 2nd Amendment actually specifically states your RIGHT is absolute (SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED).

"What am I to do?"

Defend yourself and your family however you see fit! It is your NATURAL RIGHT as a human being. How dare any other human being or "government" tell you, "you are not allowed".

I completely agree.

OC Freedom

You didn't see about a conviction, but you also didn't see that there wasn't one. Note the OP did not elaborate on the situations in any way. Could be he's intentionally leaving out a conviction?

As for where he got the firearm... in OR you can do private sales without a background check, so he could have gotten it that way, even if he was a convicted felon.

I think the OP is intentionally leaving out details - which he has every right to do. Seems like his only option is OC (at least for now), but if he DOES have a criminal history, he's taking a big chance by carrying a gun at all.

I understand what you are saying and he may very well be leaving out such information. I decided to respond to his inquiry for suggestions based on what he wrote and not on my assumptions or suspicions of a conviction.

TonyA

Wow, things got weird in here. I have a methed out sister and a bipolar mother. There have been breaks in, attacks on my grandmother, attacks on me. The last incident may be one where my sister threw open a door and pushed my our grandmother into a wall, I had called police on her and she left. I don't like to just tell every stranger about my family.

I own my firearms because I have no convictions or charges. I buy them in gun shops. I pass my checks. Thanks for assuming I am some crazy lieing nut. I asked for advice because I think there still may be a chance for me to get my CHL, not for a way around my denial.

Last edited: