• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Background checks are useless

Repeater

Everyone knows one of the 'Prohibited Classes' is the Fugitive from Justice (well, excluding Dr. Kimble).

This USA Today article explains why background checks are useless:

A license to commit crime: With no one chasing them across state lines, fugitives are free to rape, kidnap, even murder
Tens of thousands of felony suspects get away as easily, because police and prosecutors across much of the United States will not pursue them beyond their state borders. For many, that decision is a license to commit new crimes, a USA TODAY investigation found. With no one chasing them, unwanted fugitives went on to rape, kidnap, rob banks and kill, often as close as in the state next door.

Another Philadelphia fugitive killed his 1-month-old daughter, Arianna Ellis, by hurling her tiny body into the wall of a Trenton, N.J., apartment. Another savagely beat and kicked 79-year-old Roosevelt Morrow during a Father's Day robbery, leaving him to die on a hallway floor outside the bathroom of his modest Salem, N.J., home.

Had they been looking, the police would have had no trouble locating Tucker's killer, or any of the others. They all were arrested in other states before they killed, a process that would ordinarily alert authorities in Philadelphia to come and get them. But in each case, because they had left Pennsylvania, police and prosecutors had decided in advance to take a less costly course and let them get away.

"Less Costly" for whom? Let them get away: 'justice' in America.
Perhaps most startling of all: Those fugitives alone killed at least seven people from New York to South Carolina after they left Pennsylvania.

There is your truth. You are on your own.

But, it's the gun's fault; blame the gun:
On the day Frederick Tucker died, Cummings had been a fugitive for nearly eight years.

Police arrested him outside a Philadelphia 7-Eleven in October 2000 after they found a handgun in the car he had been driving. He was charged with carrying a firearm without a license, a felony. Free before his trial, Cummings simply moved back home to Aiken, a city of tree-lined boulevards just outside Augusta, Ga. On Dec. 13, 2000, a Philadelphia municipal court judge issued a warrant for his arrest.

"I knew I was skipping out on a court date. I had intended on going back up there," Cummings said in an interview from a Columbia, S.C., prison. "I didn't think it was that serious."

Gun crimes have long been viewed as especially serious in Philadelphia, a city whose murder rate is routinely among the nation's highest. Malone said she could not tell from Cummings' file whether prosecutors ever considered extraditing him; if they did, they decided against it, likely because the evidence was thin, she said. But not so thin he wouldn't be tried if he ever came back to Philadelphia on his own.

"If it would not require extra resources and money and time and effort, we would absolutely proceed," she said. "Because it's a gun case, there is a public interest."

The price of malfeasance:
Because prosecutors didn't approve extradition, police did not enter his name into the FBI's fugitive database. So even the prosecutors who ultimately sent Cummings to prison for Tucker's murder had no way to know that he was a wanted man. "I would have wanted to know about that," Aiken prosecutor Beth Ann Young said after USA TODAY contacted her.

With crap like this going on, NICS is useless.

Maverick9

You don't think LE is WELL AWARE of all this?

Gun control, background checks are not what they appear to be and everyone knows it. You spend umpteen million bucks doing checks and find a tiny fraction don't qualify so they get turned down and THAT'S IT. It's a total waste of time and they all know it.

DaveT319

And here's the really funny part: if they get turned down because of a warrant, they don't get arrested; they just get turned away. Yeah, he didn't get THAT gun, but he also didn't get caught either. Still free to roam the streets.

paramedic70002

Extradition is an expensive process. In these days of tight budgets, it's difficult for local LEOs to spend the money to fly or drive 2 LEOs far away, then bring back those 2 plus the fugitive. Between plane tickets, rental car, gasoline, food, hotels, and OT, it is often just not possible. Even here in my rural area, I often hear cases of warrants found during traffic stops. Most jurisdictions decline extradition and the offender gets his traffic ticket and is released.

WalkingWolf

Extradition is an expensive process. In these days of tight budgets, it's difficult for local LEOs to spend the money to fly or drive 2 LEOs far away, then bring back those 2 plus the fugitive. Between plane tickets, rental car, gasoline, food, hotels, and OT, it is often just not possible. Even here in my rural area, I often hear cases of warrants found during traffic stops. Most jurisdictions decline extradition and the offender gets his traffic ticket and is released.

I dunno but it seems to me that they could use the money that the feds give them for extradition, instead of assault vehicles, full auto rifles, and breaking in doors with no knock warrants, and enforcing unconstitutional drug laws.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I dunno but it seems to me that they could use the money that the feds give them for extradition, instead of assault vehicles, full auto rifles, and breaking in doors with no knock warrants, and enforcing unconstitutional drug laws.

Nonsense. How would they then pay for the assault vehicles, full auto rifles, breaking down doors, and enforcing unconstitutional drug laws?

Repeater

Nonsense. How would they then pay for the assault vehicles, full auto rifles, breaking down doors, and enforcing unconstitutional drug laws?

Does Prez Barry care about cost?

Obama regime considers destroying own armaments, including MRAPS
U.S. troops could have to destroy thousands of their own “excess” vehicles in Afghanistan if buyers can’t be found and the services don’t reverse course on bringing them home, the top U.S. commandeer said Thursday.

The U.S. has been looking to sell about 4,000 vehicles that the services have said are “in excess” of their needs — MRAPs, Humvees, medium trucks and others – to friendly countries but so far there have been few takers, said Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, commander of the coalition and U.S. Forces-Afghanistan.

Primus

Exactly.

For example recently had a female in a traffic stop had a warrant from Florida. Well the warrant was for skipping court for something like public intoxication or disorderly conduct.

Dispatch contacts Florida.... and they say hell no keep her. They weren't going to spend thousands of dollars for an offense that may have a 50 dollar fine.

I have grabbed guys that were extradited but the charges were much more severe then disorderly conduct. I would assume that it goes by department or state that sets policy of what warrants are "worth" them extraditing.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk