• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newport on the Levee

mark1123

First, I open carry nearly everywhere I go. I'm from Kentucky, but moved out of state for a couple of years and let my Ky concealed carry license expire. I've been back for 2 months, so I have 4 more months before I can get my license again. I still plan to OC 99% of the time.
I went to Deweys yesterday on the Levee to grab a pizza to go. After about 15 minutes, I was approached by a security guard and another guy in a suit who I'm assuming was the manager on duty. The guard asked if I had a license to conceal. I told him that I didn't need one to open carry. He then told me that the Levee's policy was that CC was fine, but no OC. I told him that I've OC'd there at least 10 times in the past couple of months with no problems. He told me that I would need to take it to my car. I asked who was responsible for this policy, and they gave me a business card of the Customer Experience Manager. Apparently, he works Mon-Fri, so I'll be calling him on Monday.
Anyone else gave any issues recently at the Levee?

fjpro2a

Please follow up

Mark1123, please follow up on this and let us know. Nipping something in the bud is usually the best remedy. Hopefully, the security guard and the "manager" were uninformed and, at best, talking without really knowing. Small steps like this can move the cause forward.

flb_78

I believe Kentucky dropped the 6 month residency requirement a year or 2 ago.

It's right on their website as well about weapons.

http://www.newportonthelevee.com/visit/code-of-conduct

"Under no circumstances will threatening or intimidating language or behavior, including, but not limited to, use or display of weapon or other dangerous objects be tolerated."

Hopefully you can contact management and have them change their policies.

willy1094

Hopefully you can contact management and have them change their policies.

Given that it is Newport in addition to it being at the Levee I wouldn't hold my breath. Given their surrounding area they are very concerned about their safety/family image. We all know what that means. As someone already suggested, this is definitely an area where tact will be the best weapon when speaking to someone with authority over this policy.

hotrod

Carrying at Newport on the Levee

No open carry has been the Levee's position since they opened. I hope you might be able to change their mind, but I doubt it. Also, as flb mentioned, the 6 month residency requirement is gone, go get you CDWL. As far as Newport as a whole, I have not had a problem in Newport and curious if anyone else has.

HPmatt

I thought this was telling of the image they want to convey-
"We call our security officers "Guest Assistance Personnel."
Can't tell from the website is it private property? If so sounds similar to private property rights of a mall to prohibit OC.
Wonder if their other request - "you must carry photo ID" - is constitutional.

willy1094

I thought this was telling of the image they want to convey-
"We call our security officers "Guest Assistance Personnel."
Can't tell from the website is it private property? If so sounds similar to private property rights of a mall to prohibit OC.
Wonder if their other request - "you must carry photo ID" - is constitutional.

If it were not privately owned they would not be allowed to have the policy. That does not guarantee that it is not owned by Newport. That may be a question that needs answering.?.?

Flounder

If it were not privately owned they would not be allowed to have the policy. That does not guarantee that it is not owned by Newport. That may be a question that needs answering.?.?

From their site:

Welcome to Newport on the Levee! All of our buildings are privately owned. We reserve the right to define the rules of conduct acceptable to us in order to allow you onto our property. We have listed below some of the rules for the information of our guests. Upon any violation of this Code of Conduct, you will be requested to leave Newport on the Levee immediately. Please enjoy your visit with us and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (859) 291-0550

http://www.newportonthelevee.com/visit/code-of-conduct

Obviously doesnt guarantee accuracy, but its a start.

mark1123

I didn't get a chance to call him today. I'm going to grab all of the questions/statements from this post and go through them when I call him tomorrow. If anyone has anything to add, please do it before lunchtime tomorrow.
I'll let you know how the call goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

hotrod

Newport on the Levee is a privately owned corporation. It has no Newport, Campbell County, or state money involved. The closest it gets is the tax breaks they got to build. Wish it were not so, but, it is. The only thing to do is pull your shirt over your cdw and walk on.

mark1123

Just got off the phone with Jim Craycroft, Customer Experience Manager for Newport on the Levee. As we already know, it is private property and it's owned by the Price Group LLC. The security guard that approached me the other day kept saying that I couldn't open carry in the 'common' areas. I asked Mr. Craycroft what that meant exactly. He said that he is basically the landlord and lets his tenants decide how they want to handle open carry. He said that you're in a common area if you're anywhere on the property, including inside and outside, valet area, etc...other than inside the actual shops/restaurants. He said that he and his wife conceal carry, and says that he's ok with concealing anywhere on the Levee.
He also said that he anticipates that someday open-carry will be allowed on the Levee, but for now, it "makes people nervous", and the general public is "just not ready for it".

Mark

Brian D.

Levee is not drawing the crowds it used to, for sure. Maybe management should focus less on mode of carry and more on filling those empty storefronts. I go there (River Rock Grill) on Tuesdays for a cigar event, and occasionally show up on Thursday afternoons as well. Mall is far from busy at those times; going to and from the underground garage? No way in hades I'd do that unarmed.