• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA hurting gun rights by pushing CC over OC in lawsuits?

NMOCr

It seems to me that every lawsuit that the NRA is pushing through the courts right now has one common thread to them. That Concealed carry should be the right of the land, while Open carry can be banned. Unfortunately for the NRA, its a legal path that goes directly against nearly 210 years of Federal and state Court rulings that have stated repeatedly that CC can be limited and that Open carry, is seen as the preferred method (or mode) of carry in the USA.

As a lifetime NRA member, I have a major issue with this, as I see court case after court case being lost, and in some cases, they are dramatically hurting Open Carry, while doing NOTHING to help Concealed Carry.

Any opinions?

WalkingWolf

AND they have failed several times, BECAUSE they pushed CC privilege. The courts recognize what is a right, and what is a privilege.

g21sfpistol

Banned
they will eventually succeed. the OC movement isn't doing the greatest, just look at what happened in cali. its hard for libs to complain about what they can't see. i believe CC helps more politically than OC does.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
they will eventually succeed.

Doubtful. If they finally abandon defense of our RKBA to pursue only the limited scope of concealed carry, the NRA would eventually become insignificant.
the OC movement isn't doing the greatest, just look at what happened in cali.

Across the nation, the OC movement has held as the default unlicensed state of carry in the majority of states and gained ground in several others over the last few years. Not sure how you think it could be doing much better?

Regarding Cali: they would have continued advancing their restrictions and infringements even if residents had completely given up attempting to carry under the ever narrowing window of legal means.
Their goal has long been to ban guns and carry from the common populace and reserve such privilege for a chosen few.
Finally, with their last restriction upon even unloaded open carry, the court has declared that they have gone too far. This was a a turn of the tide and a necessary impetus to reforming/repealing their near ban in much of the state.

its hard for libs to complain about what they can't see.

Not at all. They hate the very ideas of freedom and self reliance. Simply seeing guns was not and will never be the driving force behind their agenda.

i believe CC helps more politically than OC does.

I can't even begin to imagine how or why.

WalkingWolf

Privilege has always been the libtard goal. From FDR to now Obama, it is always the privilege that is what they want. Eventually they will start constricting the privilege few to even lower numbers. And the second amendment will suffer if the NRA gets it's way.

The NRA NEVER has been for the second amendment, they have always been for government, lobbying, and the almighty dollar. They were for the NFA, and the GCA. AND they fully support laws that limit the ability of the poor and underprivileged the right to keep and bear arms. Gun control was based on racism, and so is pay for carry privilege.

The NRA also supported fully the Murphy Act in Commiefornia.

Last edited:

solus

they will eventually succeed. the OC movement isn't doing the greatest, just look at what happened in cali. its hard for libs to complain about what they can't see. i believe CC helps more politically than OC does.

TELL the membership you are not starting this CC over OC crap yet again?? Are you truly trying to push a fourth thread to be closed due to your rambling.

so pray tell us in your mind what happened in california? please try to be very specifc of what happened and be specific what was the ramifactation(s)?

finally, why on earth do you believe CC helps more politically? AGAIN be very specific and articulate what in the world your nine word sentence covers, such as who does it help and why?

ipse

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

What a bunch of tripe!

It is never the fault of the victim for the actions of the aggressors.

Blaming people for loosing their rights because they exercised them is one of the imbecilic way of thinking possible.

Please stay on this forum so that your idiotic asinine rantings lacking an logic can be pointed out to anyone else who might be reading.

g21sfpistol

Banned
TELL the membership you are not starting this CC over OC crap yet again?? Are you truly trying to push a fourth thread to be closed due to your rambling.

so pray tell us in your mind what happened in california? please try to be very specifc of what happened and be specific what was the ramifactation(s)?

finally, why on earth do you believe CC helps more politically? AGAIN be very specific and articulate what in the world your nine word sentence covers, such as who does it help and why?

ipse

the threads have closed because i have stated the truth and no one here likes it. should i continue so this one closes to? because it will close because i will state the hard truth which no one here likes and can't handle. continue to OC. someday it will be a thing of the past because of arrogant people like they have here. thats IF they don't ruin the gun communities image by being how they are on here. walkingwolf is a perfect example. childish arrogance.

sudden valley gunner

the threads have closed because i have stated the truth and no one here likes it. should i continue so this one closes to? because it will close because i will state the hard truth which no one here likes and can't handle. continue to OC. someday it will be a thing of the past because of arrogant people like they have here. thats IF they don't ruin the gun communities image by being how they are on here. walkingwolf is a perfect example. childish arrogance.

Hahahahaha, the arrogance, immaturity and non existence logic of this post is ironic.

g21sfpistol

Banned
What a bunch of tripe!

It is never the fault of the victim for the actions of the aggressors.

Blaming people for loosing their rights because they exercised them is one of the imbecilic way of thinking possible.

Please stay on this forum so that your idiotic asinine rantings lacking an logic can be pointed out to anyone else who might be reading.

comparing a victim to OC it makes no sense what so ever. i got bashes for comparing cops to OC which would have more merit than your comparison. cali is hardly a state when it comes to peoples gun rights. you think thats the best place to be shoving you gun i someones face KNOWING they would shut you down. such a great tactic. i could have told you that was coming. the arrogance of some people here, psh no one would listen.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

comparing a victim to OC it makes no sense what so ever. i got bashes for comparing cops to OC which would have more merit than your comparison. cali is hardly a state when it comes to peoples gun rights. you think thats the best place to be shoving you gun i someones face KNOWING they would shut you down. such a great tactic. i could have told you that was coming. the arrogance of some people here, psh no one would listen.

This is an "Anti-Speak" comparison to Open Carry...

g21sfpistol

Banned
cricket cricket. figures. don't bather responding anymore unless you want another thread closed due to a dose of the truth pill.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

cricket cricket. figures. don't bather(sic) responding anymore unless you want another thread closed due to a dose of the truth pill.

No crickets here, sir - just people tired of having a discussion with someone with an unpleasant attitude and who has demonstrated a willingness to break forum rules.

You pervert the truth as you know full well why the other threads were locked (reasons were given in each case) and doing so was no validation of your self-anointed veracity. You have offered naught but biased opinion in the face of facts and shown not the least bit common courtesy.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
cricket cricket. figures. don't bather responding anymore unless you want another thread closed due to a dose of the truth pill.

I dismantled your posted points above expecting some responses if you were able. Have you chosen to cede those points so quickly?

I understand if you'd rather skip past the actual refutations and pretend that your "truth pill" went unchallenged, but that is simply not the case.

Heck, at least make an attempt.

WalkingWolf

I dismantled your posted points above expecting some responses if you were able. Have you chosen to cede those points so quickly?

I understand if you'd rather skip past the actual refutations and pretend that your "truth pill" went unchallenged, but that is simply not the case.

Heck, at least make an attempt.

He can't, all he has is some myth and talking points from Pincus, and Runaway Yeager. Just like Yeager he goes off the deep end every time he does not get his way.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I'm going to try to get this subject back on track.

If the NRA concentrated on the true meaning of the Second Amendment, supporting open carry and conceal carry equally, then maybe they would garner more support. But alas, they are to busy feeding their ego.

If they used their weight to correct some state issues denying all gun owner rights, other states would start to fall in line.

In Kentucky you can carry your gun in your unlocked glove compartment without a permit. Carrying your gun in your car in Ohio is concealed without a permit.

Ohio believes you don't own your car. Where is the NRA? Nowhere.....

I will not join an org. that won't fight for my rights.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
This topic makes me think of many things that may sound trite at first such as:
The perfect is the enemy of the good/better.
A diffference in strategy is not necessarily a difference in objective.
Someone not your enemy is not necessarily your friend and just because they're not your friend doesn't mean they're your enemy.

As I pointed out in another thread, we have made massive progress with CC as shown by these maps: http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php

I am obviously a supporter of OC, but I do see some wisdom in pushing CC first. Women generally are more anti-gun than men. The fastest growing group of firearm owners are women and the number of women CC continues to grow. Which women are more likely to react negatively to OC? The woman who has never even shot a gun or the woman who has a 380 sitting in her purse or on her hip? People who are marginal about seeing OC are ok with CC. Increasing CC helps normalize the ownership, use and posesssion of firearms. Normalizing citizen gun ownership and carry is part of our oft stated reason for OC.

Certainly most of us would like to see national constitutional carry. But we have even made progress on this front. That's not perfect but it certainly is better. I don't see being able to OC in NYC or SF in my lifetime, but I do see MO becoming a gold star OC state, maybe even constitutional carry. I also think it not impossible that I would CC most anywhere under some type, even if limited, national CC reciprocity.

I also think of the whole Starbucks thing. Many of us were concerned that some of the over exhuberance in "supporting" Starbucks was a mistake as their libertarian "not our enemy" was confused with their being our friend. That obviously backfired to some extent, although I do give credit to Starbucks for asking for restraint rather than going with a national ban. That whole thing was an unforced error on OC supporters. By the same token, the NRA, while not always (to some not often) OC's friend, they also are not necessarily an enemy. Political realities in some states means either getting nothing or gettingCC with stupid restrictions. But everywhere we get CC, the blood in the street fantasies of the anti-2A crowd are proven to be nonsense and we almost always end up slowly loosening up the CC restrictions. Several states moved into the OC column to varying degrees. The NRA wasn't necessarily an ally through the entire fight, but once CC was well established and without need of further immediate support, they were not necessarily the enemy of moving the bar towards more 2A.

The bigger the organization, the more compromise they need to make because of diversity of membership. The NRA is quite large and that's their political reality. Also, they don't have an unlimited war chest and have to pick and choose what they deem the best bang for the buck for their average membership. Not all 5 mill will agree, but not all will disagree either.

We need to find common ground where we can, fight fairly with each other when we can't and keep the common aspects of our goals always in mind.

WalkingWolf

The road to gun control has always been paved with compromise. The past of the NRA's involvement in gun control cannot be ignored.