• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vancouver Clark County courthouse - pistol lock box useage policy change 2-14

CitizenJohn

In February 2014, the Main Clark County Court House in Vancouver on Franklin Street and the Juvenile Justice Center in Vancouver on West 11th Street changed their policy concerning pistol lock box usage. In the past, a person could use the boxes to check pistols and other prohibited items such as mace, knives, etc. Now, only pistols and their [associated] holsters, magazines and shells may be checked. Even if a pistol and [associated items] are checked, they cannot be accompanied by other prohibited items.

Difdi

In February 2014, the Main Clark County Court House in Vancouver on Franklin Street and the Juvenile Justice Center in Vancouver on West 11th Street changed their policy concerning pistol lock box usage. In the past, a person could use the boxes to check pistols and other prohibited items such as mace, knives, etc. Now, only pistols and their [associated] holsters, magazines and shells may be checked. Even if a pistol and [associated items] are checked, they cannot be accompanied by other prohibited items.

I wonder how amused a judge would be to discover that a courthouse security policy is why someone failed to obey his order to appear in his courtroom?

sudden valley gunner

I wonder how amused a judge would be to discover that a courthouse security policy is why someone failed to obey his order to appear in his courtroom?

My guess is that would depend on the judge, from my experience many of them don't care about the law as much as they care about you being under their control and obeying them.

Mainsail

It sounds like they're not happy about the law requiring they provide storage so they intend to comply with law begrudgingly, and comply with nothing more than the exact letter of the law. It's juvenile but typical.

NavyMike

It sounds like they're not happy about the law requiring they provide storage so they intend to comply with law begrudgingly, and comply with nothing more than the exact letter of the law. It's juvenile but typical.

RCW9.41.300 covers more than just pistols. The court has to supply a lock box for weapons; not
just pistols:

For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

davidmcbeth

Banned
First and foremost: the laws limiting where you can carry are not legal -- our RKBA is absolute.

Now, anyone who would leave their guns in charge of a gov't agency for whatever reason needs to re-assess this behavior.

It may have been fine in the past but this is no guarantee of future happiness.

There is zero chance I would hand over any gun to a gov't agency for any purpose.

Difdi

My guess is that would depend on the judge, from my experience many of them don't care about the law as much as they care about you being under their control and obeying them.

I'm pretty sure arriving at the courthouse to answer a summons, only to discover such a policy change (being unaware of it prior to arrival) would count as entrapment. No matter what you do, you WILL violate the law at that point if you're carrying items that are not pistols but are also not allowed past security.

Entering a secure area with prohibited items? Illegal. Locking them up? Not allowed. Going home to put them away? You'll miss your court date. Garbage can? Something tells me that would lead to an arrest as well.

Would make a fascinating legal argument in court, though I'd hate to be the test case...I can't afford the number of appeals it would likely take to reach a court that isn't insane.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm pretty sure arriving at the courthouse to answer a summons, only to discover such a policy change (being unaware of it prior to arrival) would count as entrapment. No matter what you do, you WILL violate the law at that point if you're carrying items that are not pistols but are also not allowed past security.

Entering a secure area with prohibited items? Illegal. Locking them up? Not allowed. Going home to put them away? You'll miss your court date. Garbage can? Something tells me that would lead to an arrest as well.

Would make a fascinating legal argument in court, though I'd hate to be the test case...I can't afford the number of appeals it would likely take to reach a court that isn't insane.

Not entrapment ... one can call prior to shooting off to the courthouse...gun owners, courts have said, have a special responsibility.

Difdi

Not entrapment ... one can call prior to shooting off to the courthouse...gun owners, courts have said, have a special responsibility.

Why would you reasonably need to call ahead to find out whether someone sworn to uphold and enforce the law is in compliance with something mandated by law?

EMNofSeattle

RCW9.41.300 covers more than just pistols. The court has to supply a lock box for weapons; not
just pistols:

For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

Get 35 people together in a line with pocket knives and have thm jam up the security line.... If enough people jam the line and demand to check pocket knives I have a feeling the minimum wage guards will blink first....

Wouldn't a guard obeying the order not to check your weapons and causing you to miss court date be committing a tortious interference.....? Interesting civil court theory...

Last edited:

Fibresteve

Went to the Clark County court house today. Went in at the main entrance (Franklin St.) when I got to the security check point I asked if they have a lockbox for firearms. They said they do but that they are at the West entrance on the other side of the building. I thanked them and promptly went to the West entrance. When I got there I again asked if the have a lockbox for firearms. They said yes. The boxes are right when you walk in the door. They hand you a key with a number on it that corresponds with a lockbox. You open the lockbox, put your firearm and ID ( I used my CPL) inside the box. Lock the box hand the security person the key and they give you a token with the same number as the lockbox. Proceed through security and go on your merry way. Was real easy and pleasant.

Last edited:

Alpine

Is the security person an officer? Did they keep the key after you handed it to them?

Fibresteve

I wanted to keep the key but they keep the key locked in their lockbox and give you a token with your lockbox number on it. I don't necessarily like this procedure but if you were to lose the key they still have the key to open the lockbox. Over all they were very friendly and the whole procedure went smoothly.

Last edited:

decklin

They should have a spare to the lockbox. They come with multiple keys. The law says they are to provide you with a stationary box and key or a designated official to be custodian of weapons.