• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vancouver Clark County courthouse - pistol lock box useage policy change 2-14

Alpine

If the person who kept the key and didn't give it to you was not an officer then they violated the RCW.

Alpine

Ah nevermind, it's a vague "official."

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

Is "official" defined anywhere in a related RCW? Can't seem to find anything.

Freedom1Man

I wanted to keep the key but they keep the key locked in their lockbox and give you a token with your lockbox number on it. I don't necessarily like this procedure but if you were to lose the key they still have the key to open the lockbox. Over all they were very friendly and the whole procedure went smoothly.

What happens when you forget to carry ID and you're not CC that day?

Contrarian

Went to the Clark County court house today.
--snip--
You open the lockbox, put your firearm and ID ( I used my CPL) inside the box. Lock the box hand the security person the key and they give you a token with the same number as the lockbox. Proceed through security and go on your merry way. Was real easy and pleasant.

Might have missed something here...why did you put your ID in with your weapon?

I'd not be pleased to know that not only did someone else have access to my gun, but that they also knew who I was.

Fibresteve

I questioned them about putting my ID in the box as well. She never really gave me a good answer. Just looked at my CPL to make sure it was currant and I put it in the box. I thought that was odd because a CPL doesn't have a photo on it and what does my CPL have to do with anything anyway? I was OC when I was there. They never asked to see photo ID.

Freedom1Man

I questioned them about putting my ID in the box as well. She never really gave me a good answer. Just looked at my CPL to make sure it was currant and I put it in the box. I thought that was odd because a CPL doesn't have a photo on it and what does my CPL have to do with anything anyway? I was OC when I was there. They never asked to see photo ID.

I handle stuff like that by pointing out that I am OC and no CPL is required.

ID please....

I have not found any law requiring me to carry ID. I have found the law requiring that you keep my weapon(s) secure while I am visiting the court house though.

kparker

Not this again:

They should have a spare to the lockbox. They come with multiple keys. The law says they are to provide you with a stationary box and key or a designated official to be custodian of weapons.

You've got the boldface in the wrong place. Clearly it should be:

They should have a spare to the lockbox. They come with multiple keys. The law says they are to provide you with a stationary box and key or a designated official to be custodian of weapons.

Now, seizing your identification is a completely different matter, and one wholly without warrant as far as I can see. And in practical terms... what if your business in the courthouse requires you to present identification?