• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ares Armor and Their Fight with the "The Man".

Alsherry

So, I know this was brought up and discussed briefly a week or so ago, but story has evolved, and now, I feel that severity deems more attention. The story reads like a book. A book of Hoplophobia and serious attempts of government overeach, but a story, none the less.

This is all taken directly from their website, which you can find at http://aresarmor.com/
I'm just compiling it for easier reading.

11.26.13 - Sign Erected

NatlCity-Billboard-GoingUp.jpgNatlCity-Billboard.jpg

12.01-12.07.13 Information Received from Local Police

Ares Armor receives information from local police officer, who will remain un-named at this time, that our sign has angered at least one member of the City Council. This Officer was extremely professional and courteous, he risked his career by giving us this information. He is a true American Patriot who will do the right thing even when the establishment is against him. We will not be releasing his name to protect him from the apparent Tyrannical Government that rules National City.

01.09.14 Threats from Local Government

The city fails to identify any individual or even sign the letter in which they threaten us with fines and jail time. In this letter they attempt to interpret their city code very creatively in order to attack an ideology that they disagree with. Please note that in over 90 years of this billboard being refaced time and time again, no previous tenant has received anything like this. We erect our sign and in less than 45 days this is the welcome we receive.

http://aresarmor.com/store/media/ecom/prodlg/National%20City%20Citation.pdf

01.13.14 Appeal Sent to Local Government

Not only our Right to Free Speech but also our Right to Due Process was clearly violated by the unconscionable 3-day appeal deadline. This 3-day appeal deadline is in direct conflict with the city codes and was clearly intended to make the process difficult, reducing the quality of any appeal filed. They yet again twist their laws to suit their purposes.

We filed our appeal within their demanded 3-day time frame. Our appeal would have been much better if we had been given Due Process and received enough time to seek proper legal counsel.

http://aresarmor.com/store/media/ecom/prodlg/Dated%20Appeal%20to%20City%20of%20NC.pdf

01.23.14 Open Letter Addressing Local Government

We are a country that is governed by LAW AND NOT BY MEN. I have written this open letter to reiterate that we will not bend to the will of oppressive, pompous, would-be dictators. This sort of willy-nilly government attack on citizens cannot be ignored. This is now a matter of principle and I will go to jail before I authorize that sign being removed!
– Dimitri Karras, CEO Ares Armor

http://aresarmor.com/store/media/ecom/prodlg/Letter%20From%20Dimitri.pdf

01.23.14 Conversation with Mayor of National City

At around 6:30pm I had the pleasure of speaking with the Mayor of National City. He assured me that this is not an issue of a free speech but is in-fact directly related to the city ordinances. He has no explanation as to why in 90 years not one occupant of our building has been harassed by the city except for us. He does not know why we were given 3-days to appeal when the city code specifically grants 30-days. Also, he revealed that they don't plan on reviewing the appeal until next month... So they get around 60-days to review but we only get 3... He said he is a "Gun Guy" and understands, yet he offers no answers or solutions as to why we have been targeted by his city. He also shifted the blame and said he is not responsible for what is happening. Mr. Mayor, you are responsible for your city. Take responsibility for what is happening in your city. Your city has targeted us because of our message, stop playing politics and start fixing the problem. Please and thank you.

01.24.14 Mayor Visits National City Location

Yesterday the Mayor of National City physically walked into our location. Here is a summary written by our manager who spoke with the Mayor of National City during his visit.

http://aresarmor.com/store/media/ecom/prodlg/pub%20letter%20to%20mayor.pdf

01.27.14 NBC 7: Gun Parts Shop Sign Causes Controversy

A sign on top of a National City gun parts store has put the business at odds with the city. The store’s owner says he’s being targeted, but the mayor insists it’s just a code violation. NBC 7’s Greg Bledsoe reports.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/242324931.html

02.25.14 FOX5 News San Diego: Gun Store Owner Feels Targeted By City

The owner of a gun store in National City is claiming they are being harassed by the city because they sell tactical weapons. Interview with FOX5 News San Diego at the National City Store off National City Blvd.

http://launch.newsinc.com/share.html?trackingGroup=69016&siteSection=kswbstudio_hom_non_non&videoId=25655407

03.07.14 PROOF: It is not coding.

A sign without permit lies on top of a building structure advertising a thrift store. Yet a sign with an AR-15 and the words "Unserialized. No Registration. Legal." which has been grandfathered in, received notice demanding its removal.

http://aresarmor.com/store/media/ecom/images/Proof-not-coding.jpg

3.11.14 Court Orders - Temporary Restraining
Order: (1) Granting Temporary Restraining
Order: (2) Setting Briefing Schedule; and
Order: (3) Ordering Preliminary Injunction Hearing

Ares Armor seeks to restrain the ATF from seizing the Ares Armor Customer List and Approximately $300,000 in inventory at 11AM on Wednesday, March 12, 2014.

http://aresarmor.com/store/media/ecom/images/TRO%20ORDER%201_Page_1.jpghttp://aresarmor.com/store/media/ecom/images/TRO%20ORDER%201_Page_2.jpg

3.12.14 Declaration of CEO at Ares Armor
In regards to the events surrounding Ares Armor’s interaction with EP Armory’s products and the threats made towards Ares Armor by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE.) The following declarations are true and correct to the best of my knowledge.

http://aresarmor.com/store/NewsArticle/Temporary_Restraining_Order_Against_BATFE

3.13.14 FOX 5: Gun Store Owner Files Injunction Halting Federal Raid

A possible federal raid on a gun store in San Diego was stalled after a lawsuit was filed, a lawyer said Wednesday.

http://video.fox5sandiego.com/Gun-Store-Owner-Files-Injunction-Halting-ATF-Raid-25708847?ndn.trackingGroup=91059&ndn.siteSection=kswb_onthemoney&ndn.videoId=25708847&freewheel=91059&sitesection=kswb_onthemoney&vid=25708847

3.15.14 ATF Violates Restraining Order, Seizes Ares Armor's Computers and Customer Lists

Despite a Temporary Restraining Order that ordered the BATFE to hold off on any action depriving Ares Armor of their computers and customer data, BATFE has executed a search warrant according to Ares Armor's Chief Operating Officer.

http://easybakegunclub.com/news/4811/ATF-Violates-Restraining-Order%2C-Siezes-Ares-Armors.html#.UyVTNYXN7FZ

https://www.facebook.com/AresArmor

Personally, I find this disgusting and absolutely unacceptable. This company has proved that they are violating no laws, and the way they're being treated should bother anyone that holds their Privacy, the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Amendments, and the rights of the people dear at heart. I'll be calling them tomorrow and asking them if there's anything anyone can do to help directly.

This isn't a "California" problem either. Yes, California isn't known for its love of gun rights, but the BATFE isn't restricted to California. If you're on those lists, you bet your ass you can expect a nice knock(down) of your door in the near future.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Oh it's just california, what do you expect?

I expect a federal law enforcement agency to follow the law. A federal judge said.."Don't do that!". The batf did it anyway as though to thumb their noses to law and act unrestrained. California, Florida, I don't care if it's new york, this is a flagrant violation of search and seizure. What "judge" signed the warrant superseding the federal order" Why is there not an outcry by so called elected officials or do they support this illegal act?

They seized the computers that had the customer lists. Not all of the people on that list live in california. Will the thugs who now have that list go state to state getting warrants to seize the item in question? Do I trust the currently elected officials to not knuckle under and support this? Will they use a blanket "federal" warrant or just make something up about how "dangerous" this piece of plastic is?

My name is on that list, not just once, but a bunch of times.
Do I now have to fear a midnight no knock to serve a bogus warrant?

molon labe

Last edited:

Alsherry

My name is on that list, not just once, but a bunch of times.
Do I now have to fear a midnight no knock to serve a bogus warrant?

molon labe

This is my biggest worry as well. Who knows what they plan to do with all those names, illegally or legally obtained, they dont give to two seconds thought about the difference of the two, they're gonna do what they want with the information and there's nothing anyone can do to stop them, short of having a REALLY strong front door. They'll just continue to break the law and carry out their agenda.

Oh I know! I'll just get a restraining order against..... Oh. Wait. NEVERMIND. :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

papa bear

I have wrote to the company asking them if this had anything to do with the local government. weather or not they were pushing this

I have invited them to move to NC were I think they would not have a problem

WalkingWolf

Could have sworn this is the kind of stuff we join and pay membership fees for, in order for them to help represent us and defend against. :/

Just like they were late to Heller, where the hell are they? Why have they not publicly come to this business side publicly, financially and any way possible to fight this travesty. But 80% lowers are bad for FFL's who give them a large amount of money.

mikeyb

NRA probably isn't touching this because it has nothing to do with firearms. 80% lowers aren't firearms, as indicated by Ares Armor and the ATF. Right? So the ACLU needs to get on this, not the NRA.

The problem is the last 20%. There has been one company (I'll bet a few others) that provided the means to perform the last 20%. Places that have "build parties" are getting scrutinized, and that's probably what the ATF is after. Not that that makes it right.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
................ it has nothing to do with firearms. 80% lowers aren't firearms, as indicated by Ares Armor and the ATF.

The problem is the last 20%. There has been one company (I'll bet a few others) that provided the means to perform the last 20%. Places that have "build parties" are getting scrutinized, and that's probably what the ATF is after. Not that that makes it right.

Quite a few companies make the jig needed to complete an 80% lower. The idea behind Ares Armors poly lower is the two different colors of poly. This gives you the "no jig" option, just cut out the color that does not belong and drill the FCG holes for the pins. Simple. So simple you can do ot with a drill press and a dremel.

There have been build parties here in Washington on several occasions. I think I have a half dozen weapons in various stages of completion. No serial numbers, no roll marks, 100% legal and all built to MY specifications.
This has nothing to do with firearms.............It has everything to do with control.

mobiushky

This is a scare tactic based on a false claim by the ATF (no shock there). They claimed that EP armory was manufacturing functional lowers out of polymer and then filling in the fire control cavity with a different color polymer. That would mean manufacturing a firearm which they don't have a license to do and then "rendering" an 80% lower. In fact, they have been proved wrong. EP molds the fire control cavity first. Then uses that piece as a part of the mold for the rest of the lower. At no point is the lower ever a firearm. Despite being proved to be wrong, the ATF is still working on a bogus claim in their warrants.

The point of this raid was to stop people from buying 80% lowers. It intimidation and nothing else. No charges have been filed against Ares or EP as yet. That's most telling. EP was raided on the 7th.

The point here is, be afraid to order these on-line. They want people to worry about ordering these parts and they want them out of business. They will find nothing, but the fear is in place now.

Kopis

Ah, the truth comes out. I see 80% receivers everywhere. heck, theyre on amazon. Ares was flying too close the sun and got burned. Sucks tho.

WalkingWolf

This all started with a disagreement over their sign. The locals had a kaniption fit when Ares blew them off. It appears they went to the feds, and the feds decided to teach the good citizen a lesson.

IMO it does not matter if they filled in the lower, or molded around the plug. At the point of sale the lower is clearly NOT a firearm. BATFE is filled with idiots, morons, and Nazis. Probably the only alphabet organization hated more than the IRS.

The people need to bring them under control, it is clear that no administration is going to whether republican or democrat.