Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: OK Sheriffs miffed at being kicked out for OCing

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    OK Sheriffs miffed at being kicked out for OCing

    It seems that one (as-yet un-named) OK Senator is a little bit afraid of guns in the Capitol. http://www.ktul.com/story/24972637/s...at-the-capitol

    OK's top cops show up for their yeatly lobbying event. Some Senator gets all worried about there being "armed men" [who are not the OK State POlice assigned to guard the Capitol and passed the cops through whatever security checkpoint there might be] roaming around asking to talk with legislators.

    It's a building of dignity and honor, but what happened at the state capitol recently has law enforcement crying shame.

    "Everybody in that building knew who we were," said Wagoner county sheriff Bob Colbert, who, along with 40 other sheriffs from around the state, converged on the capitol as they do every year to meet and greet and lobby. Until...

    "One of the senators, who they wouldn't tell us, complained because we were armed in the building," he said.

    They were then given a choice, disarm or there's the door.

    "So we all packed up and left," he said.
    Geese, ganders, and such like. I think you know what I mean.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  2. #2
    Regular Member SFCRetired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Montgomery, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    1,770
    Sounds like a politician needs to be replaced. Since they don't know, and probably can't find out, who the politician was, the people need to replace all of them.

    Remember the old saying about politicians and babies? They both need to be changed often and usually for the same reason.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

  3. #3
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    If OK citizens are not allowed then he is wanting special treatment because everyone knows who they are. If that is the case I don't feel bad at all........
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    This is only a warning to police of what is to come if gun control is successful. First the citizens, and then next the police. The only armed presence will be feds.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,731
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    This is only a warning to police of what is to come if gun control is successful. First the citizens, and then next the police. The only armed presence will be feds.
    Oh, you mean the sheriffs main assignment of providing protection for the well connected political class? Of course until Operation Hummingbird rears its ugly head.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stuarts Draft, Virginia
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    If OK citizens are not allowed then he is wanting special treatment because everyone knows who they are. If that is the case I don't feel bad at all........
    Exactly. What makes them worthy of carrying where others can't?

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    I don't think there is enough info to know if the sheriffs had a "we're miffed because we aren't getting special treatment as LEO" or if they were more broadly miffed at the anti-2A attitude. I think it is an important distinction but I don't know enough about OK LEOs or statute to draw any conclusion.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    This is only a warning to police of what is to come if gun control is successful. First the citizens, and then next the police. The only armed presence will be feds.
    Without retreading old ground, it's not as though the Fedgov hasn't bought nearly every local law enforcement agency (including 99% of Sheriff's departments) as extensions of its own will.

    Most places, if the state courts don't put their foot down, local LEOs will happily enforce Federal laws (or call in the Feds, either way).

    I fail to see the clear-cut distinction between armed agents of local government and armed agents of federal government.

  9. #9
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Without retreading old ground, it's not as though the Fedgov hasn't bought nearly every local law enforcement agency (including 99% of Sheriff's departments) as extensions of its own will.

    Most places, if the state courts don't put their foot down, local LEOs will happily enforce Federal laws (or call in the Feds, either way).

    I fail to see the clear-cut distinction between armed agents of local government and armed agents of federal government.
    I agree and am with you on the above, BUT once the constrictors have what they want, they will want more. And the next people they will disarm will be the police. They have already disarmed the military when they are not at arms. Ft. Hood is a classic example. They do not give a poop or care about their own people. They only kiss the arse of LEA because they need them, for now.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  10. #10
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    BOO to the politician, i hope he will be plagued with the corruption he is probably guilty of

    but hooray, to the uniform not getting the privilege that citizens don't get

    who cares if they are miffed. LE should not be armed in the first place
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  11. #11
    Regular Member cjohnson44546's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    This is only a warning to police of what is to come if gun control is successful. First the citizens, and then next the police. The only armed presence will be feds.
    the Feds... and all the criminals...

  12. #12
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    I don't think there is enough info to know if the sheriffs had a "we're miffed because we aren't getting special treatment as LEO" or if they were more broadly miffed at the anti-2A attitude. I think it is an important distinction but I don't know enough about OK LEOs or statute to draw any conclusion.

    It appears to me he alleged just that by making the statement that everyone knew who they were.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  13. #13
    Regular Member cirrusly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    who cares if they are miffed. LE should not be armed in the first place
    I don't think we should have to point out the already obvious reasons why this statement is idiotic. Law enforcement officers are already in potentially dangerous and life threatening situations on a regular basis. A good friend of mine is a LEO in the Chicago area. He tells me he breaks leather on almost a regular basis. Take their tools away and there would be many more fatalities in the line of duty.

    I share your frustrations and agree that all law abiding citizens should have the rights recognized in the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) that allows them to carry "everywhere."

    However, LEOs are not the adversary here. Quite the contrary, a recent poll on PoliceOne identified that over 90% of LEOs support law abiding citizens carrying firearms. Emily Miller referenced this statistic on her new talk show "Shooting Straight."
    I want to keep our founding fathers' visions and rights for this country pure. I implore you to do the same.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Posts
    13,154
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    [ ... ] PoliceOne identified that over 90% of LEOs support law abiding citizens carrying firearms. Emily Miller referenced this statistic on her new talk show "Shooting Straight."
    LOL A new, smaller, silent majority, very silent.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

  15. #15
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    I don't think we should have to point out the already obvious reasons why this statement is idiotic. Law enforcement officers are already in potentially dangerous and life threatening situations on a regular basis. A good friend of mine is a LEO in the Chicago area. He tells me he breaks leather on almost a regular basis. Take their tools away and there would be many more fatalities in the line of duty.

    I share your frustrations and agree that all law abiding citizens should have the rights recognized in the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) that allows them to carry "everywhere."

    However, LEOs are not the adversary here. Quite the contrary, a recent poll on PoliceOne identified that over 90% of LEOs support law abiding citizens carrying firearms. Emily Miller referenced this statistic on her new talk show "Shooting Straight."
    Nope! That is the way it used to be. NOW law abiding citizens are put in potentially dangerous and life threatening situations. The courts have made it very clear, a LEO's life is far more valuable than a private citizens life. Using the excuse of officer safety the people are being shot, injured, beaten, KILLED in the name of officer safety. As a former LEO, I believe that WE were/are getting paid to take those risks NOT the public. The police should be in the same position as the public in whatever jurisdiction they are in. The current state of LE make me want to puke.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  16. #16
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    I don't think we should have to point out the already obvious reasons why this statement is idiotic. Law enforcement officers are already in potentially dangerous and life threatening situations on a regular basis. A good friend of mine is a LEO in the Chicago area. He tells me he breaks leather on almost a regular basis. Take their tools away and there would be many more fatalities in the line of duty.

    I share your frustrations and agree that all law abiding citizens should have the rights recognized in the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) that allows them to carry "everywhere."

    However, LEOs are not the adversary here. Quite the contrary, a recent poll on PoliceOne identified that over 90% of LEOs support law abiding citizens carrying firearms. Emily Miller referenced this statistic on her new talk show "Shooting Straight."
    How about cops, the top cops to be specific, get on their local TV stations...
    ALL citizens of 'X Town' should arm themselves in accordance with the law. We cannot be everywhere. The life you save may be your own or your loved ones!!
    Repeat as required until all the folks get it.

    When cops, the top cops, do that, then I'll think a wee bit more seriously about your view of LE.....until then, I'm busy trying to find one of those 90% cops you read about on "PoliceOne."

  17. #17
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    It seems that one (as-yet un-named) OK Senator is a little bit afraid of guns in the Capitol. http://www.ktul.com/story/24972637/s...at-the-capitol

    OK's top cops show up for their yeatly lobbying event. Some Senator gets all worried about there being "armed men" [who are not the OK State POlice assigned to guard the Capitol and passed the cops through whatever security checkpoint there might be] roaming around asking to talk with legislators.



    Geese, ganders, and such like. I think you know what I mean.

    stay safe.
    Since the building is payed for by taxpayers which the Cops are, does this mean they don't have to pay their taxes???


    I know it is stupid. The Senator needs to go asap.

  18. #18
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    How about cops, the top cops to be specific, get on their local TV stations...Repeat as required until all the folks get it.

    When cops, the top cops, do that, then I'll think a wee bit more seriously about your view of LE.....until then, I'm busy trying to find one of those 90% cops you read about on "PoliceOne."
    IMO after reading police one, the 90 percent is lip service. Because they know and fear their own gun rights may be infringed. It has happened in the past and there are still unarmed police officers in this country. Mostly campus police officers. If they actually are for armed citizens then they would stop enforcing unconstitutional laws. The only time a police officer is forced to make a arrest is when a judge commands him. Otherwise they have the option to ignore bad laws.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  19. #19
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,273
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    IMO after reading police one, the 90 percent is lip service. Because they know and fear their own gun rights may be infringed. It has happened in the past and there are still unarmed police officers in this country. Mostly campus police officers. If they actually are for armed citizens then they would stop enforcing unconstitutional laws. The only time a police officer is forced to make a arrest is when a judge commands him. Otherwise they have the option to ignore bad laws.
    You may have opened a little can-o-worms with that last statement. Cops should evaluate each perceived "infraction" based on what they know, vs. what they are told. I know a cop, or two, that observe/think, a rare trait to say the least.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    How about cops, the top cops to be specific, get on their local TV stations...Repeat as required until all the folks get it.

    When cops, the top cops, do that, then I'll think a wee bit more seriously about your view of LE.....until then, I'm busy trying to find one of those 90% cops you read about on "PoliceOne."
    Here I is. :-)

    Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Most general assemblies have their own police force that takes orders only from the legislature.

    Their actually existence is to insure the separation of powers. The can be used to stop an arrest of an assemblyman, etc.

    Almost all state constitutions hold the speech and debates of their assemblymen to be above the grasps of the executive and judicial branches...this is why you'll never see an assemblyman waving around a m16 at the floor of their house being arrested ~ they can't be.
    Issues with their activities are decided by the house, not by state police or judges.

    Don't like this? Change your constitution.

    So an assemblyman wanted people disarmed, even policemen in the executive branches, they can likely do this with absolute immunity.

    The guys did what they could, and left. That's all that they could have done.

  22. #22
    Regular Member DocWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mountain Home, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    1,968

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Most general assemblies have their own police force that takes orders only from the legislature.

    Their actually existence is to insure the separation of powers. The can be used to stop an arrest of an assemblyman, etc.

    Almost all state constitutions hold the speech and debates of their assemblymen to be above the grasps of the executive and judicial branches...this is why you'll never see an assemblyman waving around a m16 at the floor of their house being arrested ~ they can't be.
    Issues with their activities are decided by the house, not by state police or judges.

    Don't like this? Change your constitution.

    So an assemblyman wanted people disarmed, even policemen in the executive branches, they can likely do this with absolute immunity.

    The guys did what they could, and left. That's all that they could have done.
    Sure hope this assemblyman dosen't need a cop in the future.....might be a long response time.

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran Running Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corner of No and Where
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    This is only a warning to police of what is to come if gun control is successful. First the citizens, and then next the police. The only armed presence will be feds.
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    the Feds... and all the criminals...

    Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference . . .
    When rights are outlawed only outlaws will have rights.

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

    No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people. - Catherine Engelbrecht

  24. #24
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    Sounds like a politician needs to be replaced. Since they don't know, and probably can't find out, who the politician was, the people need to replace all of them.

    Remember the old saying about politicians and babies? They both need to be changed often and usually for the same reason.
    I thought it was diapers not babies....
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  25. #25
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
    I don't think we should have to point out the already obvious reasons why this statement is idiotic. Law enforcement officers are already in potentially dangerous and life threatening situations on a regular basis. A good friend of mine is a LEO in the Chicago area. He tells me he breaks leather on almost a regular basis. Take their tools away and there would be many more fatalities in the line of duty.

    I share your frustrations and agree that all law abiding citizens should have the rights recognized in the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA) that allows them to carry "everywhere."

    However, LEOs are not the adversary here. Quite the contrary, a recent poll on PoliceOne identified that over 90% of LEOs support law abiding citizens carrying firearms. Emily Miller referenced this statistic on her new talk show "Shooting Straight."
    the only "Idiotic" thing about the statement is calling it idiotic. the LE already has the power of law, they also have multitudes of non-lethal ways to subdue someone.
    i would suggest if your friend is pulling on someone every night. that he is especially one of the SOBs that need limiting. hopefully an armed citizen will not have to protect themselves from him.
    if you took away the kill licenses that LE enjoy. the death by firearm would be cut in half
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •