Thread: Self defense shooter goes free, another criminal rightfully shot.

Self defense shooter goes free, another criminal rightfully shot.

I know there was a thread earlier on this, couldn't find it, here's the latest.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/m...o-killed-teen/

Thanks for posting this. Every couple months I've been checking for an update on this case since it all went down last year.

“This has had a very damaging impact on his life,” Doucette’s attorney, Steven Thayer, said Wednesday. “He had to go to considerable expense to defend himself and to redeem himself, and essentially, he had to prove his innocence, which he has done.”
    This part irritates me to no end. Since when is the defendant in a criminal case required to prove their innocence? Does "innocent untill proven guilty" mean nothing anymore? Last I checked, it was the prosecution's job to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The defense is not required to prove a damn thing. I have actually had judges say the same thing while I was in court for jury duty.
    Last edited by Grim_Night; 03-16-2014 at 08:13 PM.
    Armed and annoyingly well informed!

There are two constants when dealing with liberals:
    1) Liberals never quit until they are satisfied.
    2) Liberals are never satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Night View Post
    This part irritates me to no end. Since when is the defendant in a criminal case required to prove their innocence? Does "innocent untill proven guilty" mean nothing anymore? Last I checked, it was the prosecution's job to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The defense is not required to prove a damn thing. I have actually had judges say the same thing while I was in court for jury duty.
    It also says he was charged because the first witness statement said they had seperated and was walking away, and when the witness changed the story, charges were dropped. Doesn't seem unreasonable, except for Murder 2 charge instead of something more fitting for the circumstance like Manslaughter 2.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING

So what was going on with the witness' statements?
    Guess the deceased was part of gypsy heritage but not mentioned in the PC newspaper article?
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

We need to get http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.110 amended to include legal costs associated with defending against charges or actions against accused if they get dropped prior to trial. People can go broke prior to trial and if charges are dropped it might have cost a lot to get them dropped.

Call up and write your reps and sens to get that RCW amended!

Those who are complaining about the "proving his innocence" remark, did you read the article? There was absolutely no doubt that Doucette shot the man who attacked him! A party who claims self-defense (which it rightly was, in this case) necessarily implies an acknowledgement that he or she did use force against another person.

You cannot go to court and say "I did not shoot that man, and besides it was in self-defense."

Quote Originally Posted by kparker View Post
    Those who are complaining about the "proving his innocence" remark, did you read the article? There was absolutely no doubt that Doucette shot the man who attacked him! A party who claims self-defense (which it rightly was, in this case) necessarily implies an acknowledgement that he or she did use force against another person.

You cannot go to court and say "I did not shoot that man, and besides it was in self-defense."
    Right, that's the thing with affirmative defenses. There still is the presumption of innocence even with an affirmative defense though. And when the witness says you shot a guy while he was walking away (I'm interested to know where the wounds were) you can expect to incur some legal costs.

I agree that the law ought be amended from just covering costs if found not guilty to include dropped charges, with the same or similar type checklist thingy.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING

Shouldn't the witness have to cover court costs since her dumb ass caused this?

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geerolla View Post
    Shouldn't the witness have to cover court costs since her dumb ass caused this?

Witnesses are immune from civil judgments, unless its perjury.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'm wondering if that's the case, since there were two distinct, very different versions given.
    LIVE FREE OR DIE TRYING

Quote Originally Posted by 509rifas View Post
    I'm wondering if that's the case, since there were two distinct, very different versions given.
    I wonder if bearing false witness or falsifying a police report/ lying to officers could contribute to that case.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Banned
    Doucette never made a statement to police...from article.

Finally a guy with some brains ...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Obviously, except...

Quote Originally Posted by Baked on Grease View Post
    I wonder if bearing false witness or falsifying a police report/ lying to officers could contribute to that case.
    Ding ding ding. There should be some kind of consequence.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geerolla View Post
    Obviously, except...

Ding ding ding. There should be some kind of consequence.

Testilying.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)