• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Threatened with Trespass from the DMV

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I've been in there probably 10 times (the latest being about a month and a half ago). I ALWAYS go in OCing, and only had a problem the first time.

Amusingly, I usually get expedited service, and a couple of times have had the security guys watching me like a hawk. I feel so SAFE!

z28power

Thanks!

I have the letter, complete with the sign attached, as it was sent to me. If you want a copy, email a request to weezkat@yahoo.com

Thanks for the email. I went ahead and removed the email addresses of non-dmv employees and generated a PDF. Here's the download link:

https://db.tt/zhzs6EQc

DON'T TREAD ON ME - if you don't want it published in this way, please just let me know and I"ll remove it.
Thanks!

Last edited:

The Big Guy

In the letter from Tom Jacobs, Chief Public Information Officer of the NV DMV, he states "Metro officers were on the way to the office regarding another incident and informed the security guard and supervisor that there is no law prohibiting the customer from openly carrying a firearm in a state building."

Interesting that they don't say the same thing about county facilities and those of the City of Las Vegas.

TBG

Last edited:

z28power

You kept too much on that document........

A little bit more than that is helpful, maybe via PM if you'd prefer?

I did remove one or two other things on the correspondence, but am trying to maintain it as close to original as possible to preserve the authenticity and not have it look like a FOIA redacted document :lol:

wrightme

A little bit more than that is helpful, maybe via PM if you'd prefer?

I did remove one or two other things on the correspondence, but am trying to maintain it as close to original as possible to preserve the authenticity and not have it look like a FOIA redacted document :lol:

Actually, I think I misread it and you did well.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the email. I went ahead and removed the email addresses of non-dmv employees and generated a PDF. Here's the download link:

https://db.tt/zhzs6EQc

If you wish it to be proofread, let me know, and send me an editable copy. Your letter does contain several typographical errors, but is successful in its content. Nicely done, and thank you for following through!

Last edited:

z28power

If you wish it to be proofread, let me know, and send me an editable copy. Your letter does contain several typographical errors, but is successful in its content. Nicely done, and thank you for following through!

It's not my email, this is the copy of the 2011 incident on Flamingo, so I think it's already all said and done.

Sent from my phone, so be gentle on my autocorrect spelling mistakes!

yotetrapper

Still no reply from anyone. Life has been crazy however and I haven't tried following up on anything other than hand delivering a copy of the internal letter to the weekday supervisor and security guard (different security guard) along with a couple tri-fold pamphlets.

Sent from my ZTE_N9511 using Tapatalk

Jeannette

DON`T TREAD ON ME;2051604]I received a phone call back assuring me that the Reno DMV is 100% on board with the state constitution.

Will they be following up with something written and will it be conveyed to the rest of the state? Just to be sure.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

They already have, they changed the signs, instituted policy... have followed it etc. This incidence is the first i have heard of for a while. I think we are cool, no reason to overreact, Its a good exercise in remaining diligent!

yotetrapper

Here is the copy/paste of the e-mail I received in response to my complaint.

Mr. Whitney-

* Thank you for contacting us regarding your interactions on Saturday at the Galletti DMV. We are reviewing the incident and will ensure that the DMV staff and the security guards are reminded of the policy posted on the doors regarding concealed weapons and the Nevada carry laws.

Were you able to complete your business on Saturday? If not, please contact me directly to assist in getting you taken care of.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention,

*** Tonya R. Laney

DMV-Deputy Administrator, Field Services

****305 Galletti Way, Reno NV. 89512

Tel: 775-684-3505 ~ Fax: 775-684-3574

Sent from my ZTE_N9511 using Tapatalk

rightwinglibertarian

....But then he said if I didn't leave that he would trespass me. I immediately asked, "your going to trespass me from a public building I'm required to do business in?"

Police dispatch however asked me what the situation was. I explained the basic situation and she said the security guard can trespass me from private property. I told her she was correct but the DMV is public property, not private and I Must conduct business here. Then she said, "O.... um... well... if the security guard says you need to leave, then you need to leave. I'm not sending a unit for that."

.....Question to anyone, can one be trespassed out of a State facility?

Not if you have legitimate business there, no!

I'd go right back there and let them 'trespass you'. Well do what they think is trespass you anyway. As has been stated you can't actually be trespassed from a public building if you have a legitimate reason to be there. I'd have also told the dispatcher you felt you were being harassed by security, which from the sounds of it you certainly were.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Police dispatch however asked me what the situation was. I explained the basic situation and she said the security guard can trespass me from private property. I told her she was correct but the DMV is public property, not private and I Must conduct business here. Then she said, "O.... um... well... if the security guard says you need to leave, then you need to leave. I'm not sending a unit for that."...
This part just hit me.

Is that demand and that decision within her authority?