• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Academy store

gwhitegm60

The other day I went to academy to see if they had any 9mm practice ammo. While I was looking another young gentleman was also looking for ammo for his gun. I just happen to notice that he was carrying openly. Thought to myself why I didn't have my gun on me also. Also noticed that a lady also looking for ammo had her gun under her jacket that she was wearing. Anyway I didn't find the 9mm practice ammo( which by the way is hard to find) so I left and went home and put my gun on and I wear it openly around the house. I wear it concealed when I go to the store. Watching the news at night and hearing about all the crime that is going on I am wondering if more people are going to start carrying openly or even conceal. I know I am and if I find some 9mm practice ammo I want to start going back to the range soon.

A armed society is a polite society.

Gregg

Kopis

what's this post about? you saw a guy open carrying in Academy Sports and you open carry in your house? Cool story i guess?

Gary S

what's this post about? you saw a guy open carrying in Academy Sports and you open carry in your house? Cool story i guess?

Sounds like he is sharing his thoughts and would like opinions. Also sounds like he would like to know if anyone knows where to find ammo.

OKOCA Board Member
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary S

The other day I went to academy to see if they had any 9mm practice ammo. While I was looking another young gentleman was also looking for ammo for his gun. I just happen to notice that he was carrying openly. Thought to myself why I didn't have my gun on me also. Also noticed that a lady also looking for ammo had her gun under her jacket that she was wearing. Anyway I didn't find the 9mm practice ammo( which by the way is hard to find) so I left and went home and put my gun on and I wear it openly around the house. I wear it concealed when I go to the store. Watching the news at night and hearing about all the crime that is going on I am wondering if more people are going to start carrying openly or even conceal. I know I am and if I find some 9mm practice ammo I want to start going back to the range soon.

A armed society is a polite society.

Gregg

Thanks for sharing. I would personally like to see more people open carry my self. We have lunches around different towns that all are welcome to and you can talk to like minded people and get a feel for oc.
Also, I have not found it to hard finding 9mm ammo. The Wal Mart by my house has been getting some in lately. And the little shops usually have a good supply of ammo, just watch the prices, some have gotten a little carried away thinking they have the best.

OKOCA Board Member

jc79

Gregg,

I open carry in Academy everytime I go. To be honest, 2/3 of the people I walk by don't' even notice the gun. It felt weird the first few times I did it, but after a while I was like "hey, I know the law and what I am doing is 100% legal". To the few people that do ask about it, I make sure they understand that it is legal, per Oklahoma law.

JC

Gary S

Gregg,

I open carry in Academy everytime I go. To be honest, 2/3 of the people I walk by don't' even notice the gun. It felt weird the first few times I did it, but after a while I was like "hey, I know the law and what I am doing is 100% legal". To the few people that do ask about it, I make sure they understand that it is legal, per Oklahoma law.

JC

I remember when I first started carrying. It was well before open carry. I holstered up and with a buddy went to a subway. I felt like everyone could see I was carrying a gun and I also just felt weird about it.
Then open carry, I tucked my shirt in and strapped my black hawk holster on, then slid my S&W into place, left the house and again, felt weird about it. But I only had a coupe people get big eyed but nothing bad.
To this day I notice a couple of people that see my weapon and side step around me. But so far have not been ridiculed about it or harassed by Leo's. But I am very comfortable carrying. In fact I feel weird about leaving the house without it.

OKOCA Board Member

Rusty Young Man

I remember when I first started carrying. It was well before open carry. I holstered up and with a buddy went to a subway. I felt like everyone could see I was carrying a gun and I also just felt weird about it.
Then open carry, I tucked my shirt in and strapped my black hawk holster on, then slid my S&W into place, left the house and again, felt weird about it. But I only had a coupe people get big eyed but nothing bad.
To this day I notice a couple of people that see my weapon and side step around me. But so far have not been ridiculed about it or harassed by Leo's. But I am very comfortable carrying. In fact I feel weird about leaving the house without it.

OKOCA Board Member

The reason you feel weird without your sidearm is because you realize how exposed/defenseless you are. Unless you have the ability to dodge bullets or have impenetrable skin like Superman, you understand that the odds are against you should a violent criminal decide you look like easy prey.:uhoh:

Glad to hear the jitters have been long gone though.:)

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
The reason you feel weird without your sidearm is because you realize how exposed/defenseless you are. Unless you have the ability to dodge bullets or have impenetrable skin like Superman, you understand that the odds are against you should a violent criminal decide you look like easy prey.:uhoh:

Glad to hear the jitters have been long gone though.:)

Ahh... the old canard of "open carriers will be targeted and shot by the bad guys first." Do you have ANY objective cite to support that position?

Rusty Young Man

Ahh... the old canard of "open carriers will be targeted and shot by the bad guys first." Do you have ANY objective cite to support that position?

How did you construe what I said as being anti OC?:confused:
I was saying that WITHOUT his sidearm, he would be at a great disadvantage. If anything, the part I put in there about a violent criminal deciding he looks like easy unarmed prey could ONLY be considered a friendly jab at CC. Predators tend to attack the weak and vulnerable, not the obviously armed, healthy, or strong, which is what OC conveys.

I'll accept people choosing to CC over not carrying at all, but I advocate for Open Carry (to paraphrase how Grapeshot put it, because "OC is the RIGHT way to carry").
I've yet to find a good argument against OC that isn't based purely on emotion or the assumption that violent criminals have the soldier mentality.

Shienhausser

I have open carried in Academy at least a dozen times on 63rd in OKC and have never had a problem. I would also like to see more open carriers.

jc79

I have open carried in Academy at least a dozen times on 63rd in OKC and have never had a problem. I would also like to see more open carriers.

This is one of the reason why I OC, to encourage others to do the same. I want the public to see that there is no harms in OC and that the State did the right thing by passing a law to allow it.

JC

Glock 1st fan

This is one of the reason why I OC, to encourage others to do the same. I want the public to see that there is no harms in OC and that the State did the right thing by passing a law to allow it.

JC

The state did do the right thing by allowing its people the right to carry openly. The problem is though people recognize there are risk with open (same as concealed and no carry) but they have grown comfortable with time of no carry or ccw.

Now everyone knows there is a risk of being first target and chance of being hero. People can deny the risk based on it having never happened but it doesn't eliminate the risk.

How do open carriers minimize this risk? Its simple and through stuational awareness, training and quality holsters one can minimize the risk.

I know I'm going to get screamed at but let me say I'm oc supportive. I just want people to not rely on a false sense of security to believe it can't happen.

Now with that being said ill say a person who is very situational aware and knows how to address a situation is a powerful deterent that according to what I have read is leading the way to a safer america beyond a doubt. Criminals don't fear police because they know they are bound by policy but they do fear the everyday american who they have no clue of what training they have or what refrain they have.

In short despite the inevitable arguements to follow put them aside and go and oc more and be proud we have the right to do so. And get the training. Learn how to use a firearm when needed and how to protect yourself shoul you become the first documented attempt to disarm an oc supporter.

Keep up the good work and keep winning our rights back.

Elm Creek Smith

When you open carry at work for ten to eleven hours at a time, open carry off duty is not a big deal. If I carry concealed, it's because I had to get dressed up (rare - generally weddings and funerals), or I needed a jacket. People are so wrapped up in themselves that they rarely notice details about other people. I was standing at the ammo shelves in Academy at 41st Street and I-44 wearing my uniform, badge, duty belt, speedloader pouches, baton, handcuffs, and a S&W Model 686, with radio carrier and the hand mic/speaker stretched over my shoulder to clip on the front of my shirt discussing the relative merits of Speer 135 grain Short Barrel and Federal 158 grain Hydrashok with another customer. It wasn't until my radio crackled that something clicked, and the conversationalist stepped back and said, "You're an officer!":eek: Really, guy?:rolleyes:

FTG-05

"The reason you feel weird without your sidearm is because you realize how exposed/defenseless you are."

RIF.

Last edited:

gprod55

Academy

Being retired and on a fixed income, I have to purchase my ammo on a monthly basis as I can't afford a large outlay of cash to purchase large amounts of ammo for my AK. Academy is one of the best places to purchase ammo at a price I can afford. I openly carry everywhere I go. If there is a gun buster sign on the door I walk away. No guns no money.
I patronize the Norman store as its the nearest one to my home front. The workers there are friendly and very helpful.
The only problem is they don't carry Tula 7.62x39 hollowpoint or softpoint. All thats available is FMJ. After calling the corporate office to locate some the closest Academy is Whichita Falls, Texas.

Glock 1st fan

Being retired and on a fixed income, I have to purchase my ammo on a monthly basis as I can't afford a large outlay of cash to purchase large amounts of ammo for my AK. Academy is one of the best places to purchase ammo at a price I can afford. I openly carry everywhere I go. If there is a gun buster sign on the door I walk away. No guns no money.
I patronize the Norman store as its the nearest one to my home front. The workers there are friendly and very helpful.
The only problem is they don't carry Tula 7.62x39 hollowpoint or softpoint. All thats available is FMJ. After calling the corporate office to locate some the closest Academy is Whichita Falls, Texas.

Did you try the Academy on I-240?