• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McCrappy OC experience

wimwag

Ambassador might not have been the best word, go look in a thesaurus then. I did not attack the way you did anything in your McCrappy encounter. I just wanted to know some more of your history to make an informed opinion on this thread. It seemed the posts before me also question your thoughts and actions.

How do you know whether I am a "gun snob" or not?

I never said anything about the way you carry, nor do I plan to.

what is done in public is also done under public scrutiny, however much that may be.

"Ambassador" or not, carrying a firearm in public has some inherent responsibilities. Is this not true?

Are you an ambassador for all gun owners since you are on a firearms forum? Should everyone assume all gun owners make rash decisions and jump to conclusions prematurely since you just did a few posts back?
Carrying a gun in public has nothing to do with what you are implying. My responsibilities are to my country, my family and myself, which is why I carry. I owe nothing to gun owners, OCDO, you or the antis. Hooah?

Sent from my Nokia Lumina using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8

wimwag

Wimwag, how long have you been carrying? I ask this because several of us are concerned about your experience level. And state of mind while in possession of a firearm.

Just because one can be a pompous jerk doesn't mean they should be.

You imply that I am a pompous jerk and new to carrying. You imply that I am not stable enough to carry a firearm.

You pass judgment on me and imply three very wrong things, using the classic "we" line in the hope it makes your argument seem more valid. Kinda like every anti who ever tried to talk anyone out of carrying.

Typical of a gun snob who thinks that their way of doing things is the only way and that everyone who disagrees is in the minority.

Does that answer your question?

Rusty Young Man

How about we all sleep on it?

It's late. People are tired.
I suggest we step away and come back after getting some sleep. Maybe in person this conversation would go much more smoothly.
By the very nature of textual communication, words sometimes come off a little more pointed than one intends; tone is a very difficult thing to communicate across circuit boards and fiberoptic cables producing text on a screen.:)
Let's not have another thread succumb to the "locked" designation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Reading something on the internet is not like actually being there - much can be lost in the comprehension of the event.

Still, whether you agree with someone or not, address the facts or action not the person's perceived character.

Do not offer personal insults or attack the individual. Doing to is rude, against the Forum Rules, and doesn't qualify for a free lunch.

OC for ME

What would a unarmed citizen do to a jackleg such as the old dude? The point of OC is to carry and be seen doing normal things as we go about our daily lives. I know that I am armed, but the gun is not who I am. It counter balances my cell phone. The OP did what any other citizen would do when confronted by a jackleg. The gun was the initiator, as a result of a jackleg, not the OP. It is unfortunate that some folks focus on the gun and not the citizen.

The OP did not do what any other given citizen would not have done in such a situation. He did just fine in my view. Jacklegs deserve the treatment they beget.

Oh, backhanded insults are insults nonetheless.

F350

I'll try to put this in a better context.

When anybody exercises the 2A they become an ambassador for the 2A. That ambassador is being watched and therefore their actions and words can either educate for the better or help solidify the negative connotations the "Gun-Control" party wants the public to believe.

Wimwag, how long have you been carrying? I ask this because several of us are concerned about your experience level. And state of mind while in possession of a firearm.

Once actions are done and words are spoken they can not be taken back.

Ever notice when you are "pointing the finger of shame" at someone there are 3 pointing back at you!!

Talk about "Just because one can be a pompous jerk doesn't mean they should be."

DrakeZ07

What would a unarmed citizen do to a jackleg such as the old dude? The point of OC is to carry and be seen doing normal things as we go about our daily lives. I know that I am armed, but the gun is not who I am. It counter balances my cell phone. The OP did what any other citizen would do when confronted by a jackleg. The gun was the initiator, as a result of a jackleg, not the OP. It is unfortunate that some folks focus on the gun and not the citizen.

The OP did not do what any other given citizen would not have done in such a situation. He did just fine in my view. Jacklegs deserve the treatment they beget.

Oh, backhanded insults are insults nonetheless.

Odd, I thought the point of Open Carry, was to carry a firearm in a way that serves as a visible deterrent to crime against the carrier, and the public display of the exercising of a right to not only bear arms, but to protect ones-self. I guess I need to tell everyone to destroy their OC/Law cards and make new ones that tells people that we only carry to be seen while doing things, and NOT because of a right, or for defense/deterrent.

Thanks OC4ME.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From Forum Rules (see #14) comes this gem: "This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life."

Notice the lack of limiting reasons?

Doesn't say anywhere "Only for self-defense." Doesn't say don't carry a purdy gun. We are left to make our own choices, reasons, excuses(?) for how we accomplish OC legally.

DrakeZ07

I'll try to put this in a better context.

When anybody exercises the 2A they become an ambassador for the 2A. That ambassador is being watched and therefore their actions and words can either educate for the better or help solidify the negative connotations the "Gun-Control" party wants the public to believe.

Once actions are done and words are spoken they can not be taken back.

I think when you define someone who exercises one, or all, of their rights in a polite and nice way, as an 'ambassador', that you are speaking for yourself.

I open carry where ever, and when ever I legally can. I do not carry to be an 'ambassador', heck, I'm as vulgar and normal as I am when I don't carry. Someone insults me, I'll flip them the bird, with or without carrying a gun on my leg/hip. Every time someone approaches me and is rude, and complains about my gun, I simple say in a calm voice; "F*** off" and continue on my activities unphased.

Every OC'er isn't an ambassador. And not every OC'er is a shining knight-in-armour example of an Open Carrier. But to hold each, or all, of us to the expectations and standards that you set down, is a bit fool-hearty.

We're Americans, We're gun owners, and most of us are rednecks. I'd rather trust an OC'er who is as vulgar, and can dish out what he takes in; rather than someone who talks nicely, and holds back their personal feelings.

Besides, we all have a right to have, and voice, our opinions; just as we all have a right to have, and to carry firearms [Well, in most states with constitutional carry]. If anything, the OP is a good example of someone who exercised their right to free speech, and right to bear arms, by OC'ing as usual, acting how they normally would, talking how they normally would. And that's someone that I would help out if they got in a legal problem, far more than I would help out a PC nut with a gun on their hip.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Odd, I thought the point of Open Carry, was to carry a firearm in a way that serves as a visible deterrent to crime against the carrier, and the public display of the exercising of a right to not only bear arms, but to protect ones-self.

The point of however I carry is whatever the hell I want it to be.

wimwag

"No, sir, I am not the Sheriff. Do you need one? I can call one for you if you need one."

Sheriff Shilts wouldn't waste his time on the old bastard. One of his deputies might...

OC for ME

From Forum Rules (see #14) comes this gem: "This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life."

Doesn't say anywhere "Only for self-defense." Doesn't say don't carry a purdy gun. We are left to make our own choices, reasons, excuses(?) for how we accomplish OC legally.
There ya go paraphrasing stuff I post. ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

There ya go paraphrasing stuff I post. ;)
Not that it changes anything, but would appear to be which came 1st - the [strike]Mc[/strike]Chicken or the [strike]Mc[/strike]Egg :)

Firearms Iinstuctor

After reviewing some other threads it seems certain people have more problems then others when dealing with confrontations.

If I were getting people mad enough to cause adverse reactions it would make me rethink my own actions.

A history of confrontations is fairly easy to track and could be brought up to that persons detriment.

WalkingWolf

The OP's response is not the response I would give. There is a chance that any place could take smart arse comments as disorderly conduct or if you lived in a state such as ours pointing to your gun could get you a charge of going to the terror of the public. When armed I go out of my way to be polite. If is that bad I walk away. Sometimes a big smile and a thank you can send a idiot over the edge when given in person. I have found over the years the best way to get someone's blood boiling is to ignore them in person. Does not work the same on the internet though.

As far as the replies in this thread, they are no more smart arse then the OP's. He is entitled to act however he pleases in public, but he is not entitled to sympathy. The members here are entitled IMO to give a person grief for acting in a way that brings a bad light to OC.

Rusty Young Man

The OP's response is not the response I would give. There is a chance that any place could take smart arse comments as disorderly conduct or if you lived in a state such as ours pointing to your gun could get you a charge of going to the terror of the public. When armed I go out of my way to be polite. If is that bad I walk away. Sometimes a big smile and a thank you can send a idiot over the edge when given in person. I have found over the years the best way to get someone's blood boiling is to ignore them in person. Does not work the same on the internet though.SNIP...

Paraphrased (more like "soundbite-ized":)):
You can make more progress with OC and a smile than with OC alone.

Last edited:

wimwag

Is the goal of OC not self defense?
I fail to see how my response to his hatred made anyone else hate or love OC. His mind was made up beforehand as were the teenage girls. Even if their history teachers made up their minds for them.