• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Follow Up to Previous videos Planned

RogueReflections

So: it has been almost a year, since my last videos at the Port Of Tacoma. I have been there, from time to time, to shoot a little photography. What can I say..I love the Port. When I visited in May of 2013, I was drawn on by United States Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) Officer Daniel. He refused to identify himself. After contacting USCBP, I learned they do not like to respond. Since they refuse to respond to me, I will have to see how they respond, real time.
I would have loved to have a discussion with them, regarding my videos from a year ago. Their lack of response indicates a more...direct approach is necessary.
In the following videos, from almost a year ago, I was at the Port of Tacoma, trying to take a few pictures. I had not had my camera out for more than a few seconds, before security officers started yelling at me.
The following videos are the sequence of what happened.

1) First security guy yells at me. Forgive me, I was not expecting an encounter. I had my face full of sunflower seeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKzcf6kIYGs

2) Once he left, this "woman" came out to try to intimidate. He even told her, at the end of the video, I was doing nothing wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjb7hFxvukA

3) They called USCBP anyway. I greeted Daniel with "good evening, and was subsequently drawn on. He did not even know I was carrying because they were more concerned about my camera than my gun. When he saw the gun, he flipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_3smCYAKuo

4) After Daniel was chilled out by, what I suppose, was his supervisor (I can't really say for sure because these guys would not identify himself, Officer Stewart, from Port of Tacoma Security arrived. Cooler heads prevailed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX439RX4mFg

5) I went back the following day...this time, I had a partner with me. We met with Port of Tacoma Security Officers Fiola and Jackson. They informed me, on film, that they had seen my videos from the day before. They told me I was not breaking any laws..which I knew. They were professional and courteous. We need more like Fiola, Jackson, and Stewart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Y1ci7mk-I

At any rate, I plan to visit the Port, since USCBP people will not get back to me. I would have liked to have a dialogue and an exchange of ideas. I asked them if they have officially changed any policies and procedures, regarding open carriers and photographers at the Port. They chose not to answer. It has been long enough.

- Rogue Reflections -

Last edited:

Grim_Night

I love in the 2nd vid how the male "officer?" comes out and (paraphrased) tells the female "officer?" to shut up and leave you alone cuz you're not doing anything wrong. As far as the 3rd vid, Did you take any action at all against the officer that pulled his firearm? If not, why not? You were on public publicly accessible land in compliance with the law yet he immediately pulled his firearm and called warning to other officers that you were armed.

In vid 4, though I disagree with the officer that you spoke with after walking behind his suv, I do like how he fairly calmly handled the situation and told you flat out "As far as I'm concerned, you're free to go."

RogueReflections

I love in the 2nd vid how the male "officer?" comes out and (paraphrased) tells the female "officer?" to shut up and leave you alone cuz you're not doing anything wrong. As far as the 3rd vid, Did you take any action at all against the officer that pulled his firearm? If not, why not? You were on public publicly accessible land in compliance with the law yet he immediately pulled his firearm and called warning to other officers that you were armed.

In vid 4, though I disagree with the officer that you spoke with after walking behind his suv, I do like how he fairly calmly handled the situation and told you flat out "As far as I'm concerned, you're free to go."

The female security officer was absolutely NOT having it. LOL. I did not pursue legal action against USCBP Officer Daniel. That day (this series of video) represented my very first time out, after deciding to record all interactions with law enforcement or security personnel. I had a notion that it was about education and sharing with society. I was contacted by more than one attorney after I posted this series.
It was relayed to me, and it makes sense now that, while posting is one aspect, litigation is also what makes them change their departments. Had I simply withdrawn my weapon, for my safety, I would have been justifiably shot because the officer would be in imminent fear of death or grave bodily injury. They can do it, and call it "officer safety."
From now on..it has been almost a year of learning things through trial and error, I will be responding with legal and punitive actions. The funny thing is: NONE of this happened because I was open carrying. The first question Officer Daniel asked me (after I said good evening to him) was if I was authorized to take pictures of the Port...which was not needed. He just flipped when he saw I was open carrying. I can't imagine what he would have done if, patting me down, I was instead...concealed carrying. He might have just shot me then and there.

- Rogue Reflections -

Grim_Night

Hind sight 20/20, what would you have done differently regarding the whole situation? personally, knowing what I know now, I would have told the officer in vid 2 that he has 2 options, #1 put his firearm back in it's holster and then deal with the impending lawsuit or #2 shoot me and then deal with possible criminal charges. Both of which while still doing nothing aggressive and posing no threat to the "officers".

OC for ME

Hind sight? When a man with a gun pointed at you speaks, you listen. When the gun is put away you start talking to a lawyer. I would not give that cop directions to his next breath of air. He would only next see me in courtroom.....but, this is just me.

RogueReflections

Grim_Night

Hind sight 20/20, what would you have done differently regarding the whole situation? personally, knowing what I know now, I would have told the officer in vid 2 that he has 2 options, #1 put his firearm back in it's holster and then deal with the impending lawsuit or #2 shoot me and then deal with possible criminal charges. Both of which while still doing nothing aggressive and posing no threat to the "officers".

That is an acceptable approach. It is hard to say what I will do, when I follow up. Each situation has it's own dynamic. What I would have done....I am not too sure about. All I know is I certainly will be following up at the Port. I go there a lot, just to do photos. I am going to make a specific trip for the sole purposes of testing them out. When I patiently await a reply that will never come, it makes me want to just go take care of things myself, and let the chips fall where they may. I thought I was being gracious in not accepting the offers from all the attorneys who contacted me. I am done with that. When they don't respond, they are sending the message that they don't care about accountability for their departments or officers or about public safety.

I guess we will see what happens on the next follow up. Maybe nothing will happen. If Port of Tacoma Security is involved, I am almost certain it will be a "by the book" experience. They seem infinitely more experienced and professional that U.S. Customs and Border Protection. USCBP, so far, seems like a bunch of hired thugs. While I do not hate officer, just because they wear a uniform, I don't abide thugs in badges. I believe in identifying good officers and sharing my experiences with them. The bad ones...I also will identify. We should not have to live in fear of our "police force."

-Rogue Reflections -

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I'm shocked that you were contacted by attorneys - IF they offered to take the case on contingency.

Can you tell us more about that angle?

Also, if you post more videos when the weather gets warmer, please mention it/provide a link to it in this thread.

btw - it's = it is, its = possessive form of "it"