• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High school senior jailed, kicked out of school, and may lose Army dream

cirrusly

An Ohio high school student has already been jailed and kicked out of school, charged with a Felony, spent 18 days in Jail, released on $500,000 bond and an ankle bracelet.

Why? For having a pocket knife in his car, and now he fears he could lose his dream of serving in the Army. The pocketknife is part of his volunteer Fire and Rescue EMT toolkit. First responder EMTs have utility knifes to cut seatbelts of car crash victims stuck in their vehicles.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/1...ay-lose-army-dream-because/?intcmp=latestnews

WalkingWolf

Another person that is no harm to society that may permanently be stripped of his right to self defense by lunatics in the school system. I had a pocket knife on my person almost my entire time in the school system, if I remember correctly since about the 4th grade. It was common.

What the hell has happened to our country.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wonder, based on what information or advice did Wiser want to become a cop? Now his eyes are opened, sadder but Wiser.

Hah. You can say that again.

Likely his eyes have been opened to the absurdity of "zero tolerance" policies only - not to any negative connection to LE.

Who would you rather have in LE or the military if not someone like this young man?

DocWalker

Another person that is no harm to society that may permanently be stripped of his right to self defense by lunatics in the school system. I had a pocket knife on my person almost my entire time in the school system, if I remember correctly since about the 4th grade. It was common.

What the hell has happened to our country.

In my high school almost evey truck had guns in the gun racks, windows down and unlocked. We would go bird hunting at lunch or after school. Nobody touch them and nobody cared.

Sad that times have changed and panic has set in.

Primus

So where's the rest of the story? Did anyone else notice the bit about the "Facebook posts"? This kid wasn't randomly searched. He was targeted for something he said. So I'm curious what it was to fill in the back story.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

So where's the rest of the story? Did anyone else notice the bit about the "Facebook posts"? This kid wasn't randomly searched. He was targeted for something he said. So I'm curious what it was to fill in the back story.

Welllll if the messages are damning they should be released if they are going use them as a excuse in the media. If they don't cite or show shots of the messages they don't exist. Until then this is just another miscarriage of power.

OC for ME

Harold Specht the chief assistant prosecutor of Ashtabula County told me the school has a zero tolerance policy for weapons on school grounds and the prosecutor's office adheres to that policy.

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/2...-plans-on-hold-after-spending-13-days-in-jail

"There are all these school occurrences where people are shot, people are killed by other students," Specht said. "We see it every day … so we don't take these things lightly. … We have to be sure that we don't have a potential for something like that to happen here."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/10/jordan-wiser_n_4921266.html
The Huffing and Puffington Post seems to have more information.

OC for ME

Youtube it seems.

Kopis

"There are all these school occurrences where people are shot, people are killed by other students," Specht said. "We see it every day … so we don't take these things lightly. … We have to be sure that we don't have a potential for something like that to happen here."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4921266.html

uh this happens everyday in what school? I dont think theyre using a 4" folding knife either.

"We charge [people] with everything that we feel they are guilty of, and in this case, he is guilty of a felony," Harold Specht, the chief assistant prosecutor at the Ashtabula County prosecutor's office, told HuffPost."

THis is interesting too because the AP seems to assume guilt... Someone definitely had it out for the kid. Looks like he was very motivated to help others being only 18 and already having multiple certifications and signing up for the Army.

Grim_Night

"We charge [people] with everything that we feel they are guilty of, and in this case, he is guilty of a felony," Harold Specht, the chief assistant prosecutor at the Ashtabula County prosecutor's office, told HuffPost.

So let me get this straight, Mr. Specht has decided to forgo a judge and jury and the US constitution and go straight to sentencing. I posted this in another thread regarding a similar quote but... Last I checked, one is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty by a court of law and a jury of his/her peers... What a guy.

davidmcbeth

Banned
This case needs two words: Jury Nullification

I agree. But I doubt it .. not yet ...

He'll plead guilty to something else but the Army still won't want him (they got a line of people outside the door ~ not like it was back in '72).

He says he did not consent to the search...cops said he did. And its in school ~ courts are v. lenient at schools, like the 4th amend does not exist.

I ran into 4th amend issues at school with my boy ... they claimed that they were in the right; I said "so what, being 100% right isn't going to help you".

SovereignAxe

Here here!!! There seems to be a public sentiment that resides clearly in the wee tikes favor. I wonder if a change in venue will be sought.

Exactly. If everyone believes that he is obviously guilty of the law, but that the law is unjust, and/or that they believe that it should not apply to this situation, then this should be the outcome. Whether or not it is, is slightly doubtful due to the fact that nobody knows about it.

HPmatt

Jury nullification might work for this young man in OH, but you have to be careful of the venue.
Here in Texas the urban population has tilted Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin county governments to democrat control, so the jury might send (an ignorant of our rights) message that you should obey the PC garbage taught in schools and popular culture.