Thread: Public housing tenants have a right to bear arms, even in common areas

Public housing tenants have a right to bear arms, even in common areas

By Eugene Volokh March 18 at 6:32 pm

So holds Tuesday’s Delaware Supreme Court decision in Doe v. Wilmington Housing Authority) (Del. Mar. 18, 2014). The court applied the Delaware Constitution’s right to bear arms provision — “A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use” — and the court noted that this language may justify broader protection than that given by the Second Amendment. Still, the precedent is likely to prove influential in other states as well, since the case deals with having guns for self-defense, which D.C. v. Heller has held is covered by the Second Amendment. (If the case had dealt with hunting and recreational use, for instance, the matter might well have been different.)
    The decision http://courts.delaware.gov/opinions/...aspx?ID=202890
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    why would a low income citizen not be entitled to the same rights? i was discussing something similar with a friend of mine. I explained how gun laws adversely affect minorities and lower income individuals more so than middle income/wealthy individuals. He didnt agree until i explained it. If you're making minimum wage, it's a big deal to get a $200-400 gun license along with taking a day or more off work to take the class and do the paperwork. To someone like me, meh, it's more of an annoyance. Furthermore, a lower income person is more likely to need a firearm for protection than someone who lives in a better part of town. Im in memphis and we have shootings in the news every single day (usually multiple ones) however, ive never ever seen or heard one in my life. (and i hope to keep it that way)

it reminds of articles that say "war vet falsely arrested by cop". Why is that relevant? Do i not have the same rights?
    Last edited by Kopis; 03-19-2014 at 12:07 PM.

This is Good News for ALL of The Law-Abiding Residents of The Wilmington Housing Authority!

The Second Amendment Constitutional Rights of Wilmington Housing Authority Tenants may NOT be Usurped by The Unelected Bureaucrats of The WHA.

Big win!

When seconds count, police are at best minutes away!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Lowman View Post
    Big win!

When seconds count, police are at best minutes away!
    Its a win ... but they still used that magical "intermediate scrutiny" bar.

Strict, intermediate, etc are all made up things.

"you right is not absolute" duh,,,yes it is...its what differentiates a "right" from a "privilege"