• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utility Tree Crew calls cops on sleeping OCer

Primus

"Yea I got this gun on me all the time. Its tattooed on me".

Winner...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

DocWalker

Even if it was a real gun, it isn't illegal to have one on you on your own property. And it could have been in a waist band holster.

Pretty funny tattoo though, it might get him shot from a nervous cop one day though. Not the cop in the picture as he didn't look amused that his time was wasted on a tree crews paranoia.....

Rusty Young Man

Not sure if he "qualifies" as an OCer...

If the gun is tattooed on, he would need to go either shirtless or with a short, ab-revealing shirt to be considered an OCer.:rolleyes:
Wonder what the law is regarding CC...:lol:

since9

Campaign Veteran
According to OCDO's maps, Maine is an OC-friendly state. Thus, by definition, if the tree-huggers, er, "trimmers," thought they saw a firearm, then it's legal, RIGHT???

So why did the cops respond to a lawful action? Or at least what would have been a lawful action had the guy actually been OC-ing?

Maine doesn't require registration, either (according to OCDO maps).

A lot of other issues remain on the table.

Grundi

A Little Misunderstanding Goes A Long Way...

Enough misunderstanding to go around...

The man was sleeping (works the night shift) and was woken up by the tree trimmers. I'm sure he was not in the best frame of mind; probably a little bit more than rankled. Throws on a pair of jeans, runs out of the house and begins a very terse conversation with the trimming crew.

The trimming crew was hired to cut branches away from utility lines, a very common thing in a rural state, and they trim during the day. Since utility work is governed by the PUC and the run of utility lines is considered public domain, the trimming crew has authority to go on private property without permission to trim.

So, here is a trimming crew confronted by an angry (and most likely very animated) resident, then someone spots the tattoo, which wouldn't have been visible otherwise. The tattoo is actually a well-done representation of the real thing. The trimming crew panics...and by panics...it appears that whatever they said to the 911 folks caused the sheriff to bring out the heavy guns.

Now everyone involved should feel ashamed of themselves, especially since this went national.

And the sheriff should have use this as a "teachable moment", reminding the public that open carry of guns is legal in Maine, but one's behavior may reasonably cause others to feel unsafe.

cds0699

I wonder if he has a permit for that tattoo :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

cirrusly

The article states the "arresting officer" but clarifies the guy "was not charged." Sounds to be an arrest. I wonder what the arrest was for.