• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Season at the St Louis Zoo - free admission day....

HPmatt

Oh - sorry about that - was thinking about the Federal judge that had grabbed control of the STL school district and was pumping billions of $ of tax money into that failing proposition. Do recall growing up in Houston getting KCMO on the radio at night….

HP995

HPmatt, thanks for posting this news! I wasn't following this.

For once the media did a good job of pressing some questions to a city official.

The mayor had a hard time connecting the two incidents of mob violence. I think we all can connect it easily although that makes some people at the forums uneasy, just like the mayor. Reality isn't always politically correct; I don't like it either, I wish it were not, but it's there. Rest assured there is a clear connection. It's getting way out of hand and denying public places to more responsible citizens. But no one in government or media will touch it because of the group doing the mobbing. These people just "go wild" everywhere they go.

While avoiding that connection, the mayor tried to pin the blame on people with guns instead. Since the news report made him look like the big idiot, his remarks won't have as much effect as desired. Still, don't be surprised if the city's solution turns out to be some extra gun policy at the zoo, rather than looking at the mobs doing this, and usually doing it without guns. It could feed anti-gun political efforts, even though the culprits here have nothing to do with normal gun owners. Luckily there are some good people in Jeff City.

But long term that's why we need to make efforts to influence people beyond our own community, and get our voices heard in media. Otherwise you will see responsible gun owning citizens as a whole blamed for completely unrelated issues such as this mob violence, where one or two young thugs (out of hundreds involved) showed up with a piece. The local politicians will say anything at all, and they will lie continually, to shift the blame away from the true problems. Gun owners are their favorite scapegoat.

If we get statewide legal OC with permit via SB 613, that will let the public see more responsible people carrying guns, and realize that good gun owners are walking among them all the time. (Right now CC gun owners are there, but they are invisible to the public.) That, along with more of our voices in media and social media, would help to defeat the lies and protect our second amendment rights going forward.