• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Funny story

Glocklover20

Hi, so I was in my A&P2 class today and we were taking a small break before lab, my lab partner and I were talking about the steps he needed to take to get his CWP and discussing open carry. The man infront of
us overheard the conversation and decided we should all no his imput. He explained that if anyone had a need to carry a gun outside of the home for any reason that they were not a man, they were in nice terms p words and should learn to fight with their fist. He also added he loved guns and owned many which I have determined is false since he owns a glock 15! Funny right.... I shot back at him explaining I, unlike him am not taking steroids and i don't feel the need to fight over every little thing. I explained to him that I had been robbed 2 times at gun point and felt safer with my gun since in those situations fighting was out of the question. In reality he is the unmanly person he is more of a child who thinks he has to hit everyone he does not like. I thought you would all love this bit of liberal ignorance at its finest right here in good ole Mississippi.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I've had folks before say to me things along the lines of "real men fight".

I like to reply that fighting is strictly in the provenance of boys – which of course precludes men – and that anyway real men have responsibilities they cannot afford to jeopardize by engaging in aggressive and/or criminal behavior.

I, for one, will stand my ground and yet defer any sort of physical altercation until my hand is forced. Because that's what men do.

In other words, I won't start a fight. I won't engage in a fight. But if my life is threatened, I will end a fight.

Glocklover20

Very well said, thats pretty much how I amd if for some crazy reason I want to get intouch with my
Childhood and fight with someone I lock the gun up.

I've had folks before say to me things along the lines of "real men fight".

I like to reply that fighting is strictly in the provenance of boys – which of course precludes men – and that anyway real men have responsibilities they cannot afford to jeopardize by engaging in aggressive and/or criminal behavior.

I, for one, will stand my ground and yet defer any sort of physical altercation until my hand is forced. Because that's what men do.

In other words, I won't start a fight. I won't engage in a fight. But if my life is threatened, I will end a fight.

Kopis

Oh, good call.

Damn those responsibilities anyway. :lol:

lol, yes! Men thought twice about insulting people Im sure.

yeah, im not really into fighting. I go to the gym or run most every weekday. Im 6' 180lbs, in shape etc. But why would i want to fight someone, especially if they're armed with a knife, club, tire iron, firearm or there is 2-3+ individuals who intend to cause me harm? Openly carrying a firearm makes people NOT want to fight you, rob you, hurt you etc. The best of both worlds in my humble opinion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

yeah, im not really into fighting. I go to the gym or run most every weekday. Im 6' 180lbs, in shape etc. But why would i want to fight someone, especially if they're armed with a knife, club, tire iron, firearm or there is 2-3+ individuals who intend to cause me harm? Openly carrying a firearm makes people NOT want to fight you, rob you, hurt you etc. The best of both worlds in my humble opinion.
Indeed.

I give up several stones and an inch or more to you, yet enjoy the same benefits.

Maverick9

From someone who has been there, this idea of 'fighting with your bare hands' is a fantasy that almost all traditional martial artists had in the 1970s and 80s and 90s until they saw what real cage fighting was all about. Back then, when we were children in college (age 17+) we couldn't succeed in team sports, being geeks and having been in the band or chess club. We were 'seduced' by these odd people in pajamas and belts into joining clubs and punching in the air and didn't know any better.

But now, to have these strange ideas is indeed foolish. As one friend said, 'people who scare me are not dissuaded by kicks and pointed sticks', and this was a person skilled in H2H and firearms (a female), and it stuck with me as a concept. I am really not afraid of people who want to use MA or hands and feet. I kind of laugh and just say 'ok, if that makes you happy', because we now know how lame most 'black belts' from the 1970s and 80s really were. Don't let those antiquated ideas bother you. If you have serious self-defense needs, taking classes and earning belts and trophies are not going to help you.

If an elderly, disabled, female or other vulnerable person asks me about SD, I explain they need to have good layered security to give them time and opportunity to get to their firearm(s). I don't send them to a strip mall for a lesson with a guy in a white uniform. I do explain that just having a firearm is only part of the equation, which is 'how to fight', how to deploy, know the law, be alert and prepared and tell them the three "S" rule.

Last edited:

HPmatt

...In reality he is the unmanly person he is more of a child who thinks he has to hit everyone he does not like. I thought you would all love this bit of liberal ignorance at its finest right here in good ole Mississippi.

So did he hit you? Or did your witty riposte go over his head?

wimwag

From someone who has been there, this idea of 'fighting with your bare hands' is a fantasy that almost all traditional martial artists had in the 1970s and 80s and 90s until they saw what real cage fighting was all about. Back then, when we were children in college (age 17+) we couldn't succeed in team sports, being geeks and having been in the band or chess club. We were 'seduced' by these odd people in pajamas and belts into joining clubs and punching in the air and didn't know any better.

But now, to have these strange ideas is indeed foolish. As one friend said, 'people who scare me are not dissuaded by kicks and pointed sticks', and this was a person skilled in H2H and firearms (a female), and it stuck with me as a concept. I am really not afraid of people who want to use MA or hands and feet. I kind of laugh and just say 'ok, if that makes you happy', because we now know how lame most 'black belts' from the 1970s and 80s really were. Don't let those antiquated ideas bother you. If you have serious self-defense needs, taking classes and earning belts and trophies are not going to help you.

If an elderly, disabled, female or other vulnerable person asks me about SD, I explain they need to have good layered security to give them time and opportunity to get to their firearm(s). I don't send them to a strip mall for a lesson with a guy in a white uniform. I do explain that just having a firearm is only part of the equation, which is 'how to fight', how to deploy, know the law, be alert and prepared and tell them the three "S" rule.

ummmm....your ideas about martial arts are pretty....misinformed. You must have met some McDojo students. They promote based on ones ability to pay vs traditional training taking years and years and making it a lifestyle.

Its funny how everyone says "don't f with Marines" yet fails to recognize that the USMC has its own martial arts style. That's why they're kicking your ass.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk and glitchy Windows 8

Maverick9

ummmm....your ideas about martial arts are pretty....misinformed. You must have met some McDojo students. They promote based on ones ability to pay vs traditional training taking years and years and making it a lifestyle.

Its funny how everyone says "don't f with Marines" yet fails to recognize that the USMC has its own martial arts style. That's why they're kicking your ass.

TMA=mcdojo.

Oh, marines have their own style? What is it; fighting amongst themselves while drunk?

wimwag

Primus

Who says dont F with Marines? If they do must be like "don't hit women".

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

wimwag

Who says dont F with Marines? If they do must be like "don't hit women".

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

read any news article about a marine doing a good deed or fighting and its in the comments at least once.

"don't hit women?". Cops tell each other that all the time huh

F350

I'm 60 years old, have a permanent rating of 25% loss of use of my right arm due to a full thickness tear of the Rotator Cuff and just had double knee replacements. There is an old adage in the gun culture.....

"Don't (frack) with an old man; he is probably too crippled to run and too old to take a beating; so he'll just stand where he is and kill you".