• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Airsoft Gun In DC as part of tribute?

vt800c

I am an Air Force retiree, and an avid motorcyclist. I participate in the annual 'Ride to the Wall' on Memorial day weekend. Normally, bikers mount a flag on the back of their bikes for the duration of the demonstration ride. I had a thought, but then I've been conditioned enough by the libtards out there to question my own actions BEFORE I do them, so I don't end up in jail. But to the point: I want to mount on the back of my bike a recognized tribute to a fallen warrior. This is normally the boots, rifle and helmet. I was going to use an old pair of combat boots, an Airsoft AR-15 I happen to have laying around, and a helmet liner with helmet cover. This would be lightweight, screwed and clamped together and mounted on the back of my bike.

The question I have for anyone in DC (I live in Virginia) is will there be any issues having this screwed, clamped and mounted on the back of my bike as a work of tribute sculpture (art)? mind you I'm not an artist, but I DO believe in giving respect where respect is due.

(Remember a long time ago, when a question like this would have been considered 'silly'?)

If you can offer some guidance, I'd appreciate it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Could not find an ordinance making airsoft guns illegal/restricted in the District, but did find this:

......some municipalities and states place restrictions on Airsoft guns. New York City, Washington, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco, and parts of Michigan outlaw Airsoft guns entirely.
http://injury.findlaw.com/product-liability/airsoft-guns.html

Even if the above information is incorrect, I would bet that you would attract unwanted special attention that might result in considerable expense of time and money.

As noble as I think your intentions are, I don't advise it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have no input. But I absolutely had to say that I dig the avatar...

vt800c

Thank you for the advice

Even if the above information is incorrect, I would bet that you would attract unwanted special attention that might result in considerable expense of time and money.

As noble as I think your intentions are, I don't advise it.

I have followed this forum a while, and believe your word is as good as gold. I appreciate your council. Isn't it a sad state that someone cannot respect and honor his fallen brothers in arms because some politicians might see someone who might be offended? It's political power run amok. The time is soon, brothers and sisters. The place s here. And the only flag I shall salute has white stars on a blue field, and 13 red and white stripes.

Its time to clean house. (and senate)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

All gave some, some gave all.

We must be allowed to honor them.

Ironside

Try This ...

I think it is great idea and tribute so:

Boots, Helmet and full size silhouette of a M16 cut out of 1/2" plywood and painted black. That is not functional should be considered art.

My heart is with you ...

Ironside

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think it is great idea and tribute so:

Boots, Helmet and full size silhouette of a M16 cut out of 1/2" plywood and painted black. That is not functional should be considered art.

My heart is with you ...

Ironside
Perfect!

vt800c

using wood

Considering the problem, it is as likely to be the best solution available.

I hope the OP will do it - it will make a dramatic, heartfelt presentation.

Thinking about it, I could still do the boots and helmet, and use plywood and a broomstick for a mock-up of the M-16.

When I was in the Air Force, for training exercises they would give plywood cutouts of M-16s to the augment security people. We used to call them 'splinter guns'. (I wonder if they would consider a box of toothpicks 'ammo'?)

I could at the same time put something about how the politicians in DC don't like guns (unless they are carried by their security details.) No.. that's not what this is about. I WILL put something about the POW/MIAs. Thank you for your support... you guys have been an inspiration. There will be photos when the time comes.

Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, NOT really "perfect" but it will have to do for now!

No disagreement. I thought I had posted a humorous emoticon at the end of my earlier post.:uhoh:
Hope you didn't get the impression that I was critical of your reply. Actually, my post was intended to validate yours.:)

vt800c

I figured....

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

All gave some, some gave all.

We must be allowed to honor them.

I think I'll use the airsoft. I'll render it totally unusable, but as a memorial.. they have them near the Wall, in the Korean War memorial.. even statues downtown. I think I have a right.

I wish someone would take a few buckets of spent brass and throw them on the streets of DC as well. you know have that in your possession is illegal? SPENT BRASS??

Rusty Young Man

I think I'll use the airsoft. I'll render it totally unusable, but as a memorial.. they have them near the Wall, in the Korean War memorial.. even statues downtown. I think I have a right.

I wish someone would take a few buckets of spent brass and throw them on the streets of DC as well. you know have that in your possession is illegal? SPENT BRASS??

Thank you for your service, and I hope it all goes well. Please be mindful that you will be in enemy territory (enemies of Freedom, that is), so it would be prudent to carry some form of recording device.
As an extra protection (against charges), I think you could fill the cavity of the airsoft gun with putty, resin, or even concrete. Could make it more difficult to be charged with "transporting components of extremely-lethal, assault-clip, black-guns with shoulder things that go up".

As for the brass, I think any REASONABLE person would understand that spent brass is no more lethal than an empty soda can (the innards having been consumed and all). Then again, with the key word being "reasonable", I think we should've expected it from the powers-that-be in Washington D.C. (that rhyme and meter was unintentional:lol:).

WalkingWolf

Not so sure~~ Local government has been known to shut down schools for a man carrying an umbrella, and this is North Carolina not DC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Very much appreciate the OP's good intentions and fervor, but strongly suggest he not utilize an airsoft or replica of a real gun.

There are some fine line distinctions in defining these:
http://cd.textfiles.com/group42/WEAPONS/LAWS/DC.HTM

I believe that the D.C. police will turn down no chance to make an example of such an endeavor.

As to bringing spent brass - same answer.

Much money and time would be put to great risk - one must weigh the benefit.

IMO, there are better suggested ways to accomplish the same end.

Last edited:

vt800c

Maybe a loophole.....

Non-residents are prohibited (subject to the recreational activity exception) from carrying or possessing a firearm while traveling through the District unless the gun has been registered with the Metropolitan Police.

Recreational Activity Exception
Residents and non-residents of the District may possess firearms while going to or from and while engaged in lawful recreational firearms-related activity, provided that their firearms are legally possessed in their place of residence. In addition, the person should be able to ``exhibit proof'' that he is on his way to such an activity and must transport the firearm ``unloaded, securely wrapped and carried in open view.''

So let me ponder this a sec... A bunch of veterans... like in the area of a MILLION, would mean I'm engaged in a lawful recreational firearms-related activity (by definition a pro-gun rally fulfills this requirement) ... and the 'firearm' will be transported unloaded and in open view....

I wonder how 'securely wrapped' is defined. Perhaps a red, white, and blue bandanna wrapped around the plastic representation of a 'lower assembly'?

vt800c

the days are getting closer....

I even made sure I have a friend on telephone stand-by in case I need to be bailed out of jail. but I don't think that's gonna be an issue.

I've seen that Marine saluting a battlefield cross when I rode past, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that his firearm is not an AirSoft.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I even made sure I have a friend on telephone stand-by in case I need to be bailed out of jail. but I don't think that's gonna be an issue.

I've seen that Marine saluting a battlefield cross when I rode past, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that his firearm is not an AirSoft.

Believe that it was a plywood cut out painted black - chocolate cream filled, if you please.

images

Not the image for which I was looking.

Closer? All honor and glory - RIP

Last edited:

vt800c

well I did it. and actually it was well accepted.

I even rode past a number of DC's finest...and received nods of approval.

Thanks for the support!

The green ledger book between the boots was so people could enter names of friends who couldn't be there.

Attachments

• 14 - 1.jpg
    14 - 1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 86
  • rolling thunder 2014 - 2.jpg
    rolling thunder 2014 - 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 85
Last edited: