• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

80 MPH signed into law by Idaho Governer--SWEET!

OC Freedom

I love living in Idaho. I told my Dad on the phone that the difference between Idaho and Southern California where he lives is this. When the speed limit changes to 80mph on the interstate outside of the Boise city limits I will be able to set the cruise control at 85mph, talk on my cell phone (legal) and carry a handgun openly while driving. I then told him in California he would get pulled over for 85mph most likely and also would be pulled over for using a cell phone while driving. Then when the LEO found out he was open carrying, he would be pulled from the drivers seat and beaten all the while the police would be saying "Stop resisting sir". Yep, Idaho is Awesome!

OC Freedom

I love how folks who don't obey speed limits are excited that they exist. :p

I'm a Libertarian and I would like to see the speed limit removed on the interstate, but any progress in increasing the limit is moving the right direction. My license plate frame on my VW Golf says "Where's the Autobahn".

DocWalker

Spent 6 years in the military in Germany...miss the autobahns.

I picked up my vehicle in Washington and got pulled over in Oregon....dam 65mph in the middle of no where anyway. Didn't get a ticket but was reminded it wasn't the autobahn. German plates and all.....

Fallschirjmäger

A VW Golf can go 85? I need proof on that score.
My '88 GTi topped out at 207kph (which translated to 129mph) according to my stopwatch and the kilometer markers in Germany. But it had 123 horsepower, 16v motor.

Here's a Diesel Golf doing about a buck-twenny (121 mph.)
golf4_tdi_600_450.jpg

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I went to Montana in a friends 85 diesel golf last fall, the fuel gage didn't work, the speedometer and the dash lights didn't work. Muffler was loud windshield cracked and was a real rust bucket. Heater only had one setting, high wheel bearing was howling.

It would pop out of 5th going up a hill use a GPS for speed and mileage he said we need to fill up when we get to so many miles or that town.

Two adult men , one 80lb lab and hunting gear he said he wanted to take because of the fuel mileage. I did the math with diesel higher then gas we could have drove my Buick century had good heat, lights, clear windshield and a lot more room for only 20 dollars more.

He kept on telling the whole why out and back about the people he knew on the way that could come and get us it the car broke down.

I told him there is two kind of cars you take on trips ones you carry the title for and ones you don't. He said the title is in the glove box.

I haven't taken a trip like that for 40 plus years it was and adventure for sure next time we'll take my vehicle.

But on the bright side we killed pheasants and had a good time.

Last edited:

LeMat

We did that in Montana back in the 90's. Except there was no numerical limit. "Safe and prudent" or sumsuch.

When enough idiots going 100mph died or killed others, they took it away.

EMNofSeattle

We did that in Montana back in the 90's. Except there was no numerical limit. "Safe and prudent" or sumsuch.

What happened was someone bought a new sports car and was driving it at 95 mph on Montana 200 near St Regis I believe and if you know that highway (I drive it every summer) you know it's two lane highway that sometimes has no shoulder. So a Montana Trooper wrote him up and at trial the driver argued that the reasonable and prudent speed violated his constitutional right to due process and that he hadn't way of knowing what conduct was illegal. So the montana legislature adopted a numerical speed limit.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
There fixed it for you

EMN, not for the first time you're full of it.

There have been numerous studies (performed by traffic engineers, no less) which strongly suggest that speed limits on highways actually increase accident rates. This effect is significant enough that, while those accidents which occur are more likely to be fatal, the net result of eliminating speed limits on highways is an overall reduction of fatalities.

The main reasons are traffic courtesy and awareness. Folks changing into the right lane at high speed to pass on the right (and then back) are far more dangerous than slower traffic moving over. On highways with no speed limits, it's never OK to drive slow in the left lane. As soon as you add a number, half the morons think they're somehow improving traffic safety by driving the speed limit in the left lane. Speed limits on the highway encourage complacency in half of drivers, where it is already a significant danger, and inspire road rage in a great many more. Not a good combination.

Finally, speed limits are not required to stop reckless drivers (whether or not speed is a contributing factor to their recklessness).

For these reasons, somehow a few first world countries still maintain major highways without speed limits. Fancy that.

None of this applies to, say, residential streets.

Last edited:

DocWalker

There have been numerous studies (performed by traffic engineers, no less) which strongly suggest that speed limits on highways actually increase accident rates. This effect is significant enough that, while those accidents which occur are more likely to be fatal, the net result of eliminating speed limits on highways is an overall reduction of fatalities.

The main reasons are traffic courtesy and awareness. Folks changing into the right lane at high speed to pass on the right (and then back) are far more dangerous than slower traffic moving over. On highways with no speed limits, it's never OK to drive slow in the left lane. As soon as you add a number, half the morons think they're somehow improving traffic safety by driving the speed limit in the left lane. Speed limits on the highway encourage complacency in half of drivers, where it is already a significant danger, and inspire road rage in a great many more. Not a good combination.

+1

We refer to people doing 65 in the left lane as "Hall Monitors"....

Idaho currently has the 75 MPH for cars but Semi-Trucks can only do 65MPH....this causes a lot of dangerous issues. You get one truck doing 64 and one that is going to pass him doing 65. It takes 5-6 miles for one semi to pass another blocking both lanes. This just pisses off all the cars on the road and brings out road rage and everyone starts to get more agressive. Then they add in the campers and u-hauls.....fun fun fun.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
What happened was someone bought a new sports car and was driving it at 95 mph on Montana 200 near St Regis I believe and if you know that highway (I drive it every summer) you know it's two lane highway that sometimes has no shoulder. So a Montana Trooper wrote him up and at trial the driver argued that the reasonable and prudent speed violated his constitutional right to due process and that he hadn't way of knowing what conduct was illegal. So the montana legislature adopted a numerical speed limit.

And yet we have numerous laws which depend on the judgment of a reasonable person, such as laws against reckless handling/discharge of a firearm, etc.

As for the case in question, it's no wonder they felt like they couldn't get a conviction: good luck convincing a jury of reasonable folks that 95 is never a safe speed. What you describe is not a safety-minded response to an untenable situation (as you seem to wish), but rather a case of the legislature bowing to the whims of a police lobby who can't stand the thought of having their judgment questioned.

Arbitrary limits on highways are a solution in search of a problem.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Spent 6 years in the military in Germany...miss the autobahns......

I used to have to fly to the FRG each spring to do an inspection. I flew into Frankfort and hit the rental kiosk. They would let me turn in my voucher for an econo car and spring the additional bucks to rent a 911. Then I drove to Heidelburg to my final destination. What a great drive those roads are.

somehow a few first world countries still maintain major highways without speed limits. Fancy that.

EMN your education is impressive, your practical knowledge is a bit lacking. Some of us have actually lived in places (like here in the USA) where this was common. No great number of wrecks. You are sounding like you want to mommy us and there may be some here who do not appreciate that bloomburg style of leadership.

EMN..... think of it this way....Knowledge is knowing the fire will burn.....Wisdom is remembering the blister.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

I won a case in KY for same reason ... cop was pissed ... 100 MPH on I40 ... zoom zoom zoom

only would have killed myself (no one else on the road)

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

And yet we have numerous laws which depend on the judgment of a reasonable person, such as laws against reckless handling/discharge of a firearm, etc.

As for the case in question, it's no wonder they felt like they couldn't get a conviction: good luck convincing a jury of reasonable folks that 95 is never a safe speed. What you describe is not a safety-minded response to an untenable situation (as you seem to wish), but rather a case of the legislature bowing to the whims of a police lobby who can't stand the thought of having their judgment questioned.

Arbitrary limits on highways are a solution in search of a problem.

No, the montana Supreme Court invalidated the drivers ticket on due process grounds after a trial found him guilty because the officer and then the state attorney general admitted they had no opinion as to what the safe speed was.

EMNofSeattle

+1

We refer to people doing 65 in the left lane as "Hall Monitors"....

Idaho currently has the 75 MPH for cars but Semi-Trucks can only do 65MPH....this causes a lot of dangerous issues. You get one truck doing 64 and one that is going to pass him doing 65. It takes 5-6 miles for one semi to pass another blocking both lanes. This just pisses off all the cars on the road and brings out road rage and everyone starts to get more agressive. Then they add in the campers and u-hauls.....fun fun fun.

So what you're saying is the semi truck driver properly using the left lane is at fault for motorists acting like children playing a game on the road ways? The commercial driving industry is far stricter regulated and pays a lot of money for the privilege to use those roads. I actually think the current CDL license requirements and restrictions should be expanded to all motor vehicles. Make road rage a crime where you automatically lose your license for a year and forfeit the vehicle to the state you used while road raging and that nonsense will end right quick. Europe has no speed limits and safe roads becuase driving isn't a right in Europe and they implement a strict and expensive regulatory scheme that no one on this thread has advocated for...

EMNofSeattle

Finally, speed limits are not required to stop reckless drivers (whether or not speed is a contributing factor to their recklessness).

For these reasons, somehow a few first world countries still maintain major highways without speed limits. Fancy that.

If you're not capable of keeping calm and adjusting your speed to conditions (including other traffic) you don't belong on the highway. European countries have higher speeds, and tax fuel at 300%, require more drivers education! licenses and car registration is more expensive, penalties for traffic violations are far more severe, They also on average drive smaller lighter cars that stop faster and you're less likely to collide with a large vehicle for that reason on European roads. If you want to impose European style driver control on getting licenses then I will heartily endorse allowing the interstate to be your personal race track