Thread: Open Wireless Movement, Open Garden launches invite to chat off the grid

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin

Open Wireless Movement, Open Garden launches invite to chat off the grid

Last year, we wrote a post titled "Why We Need An Open Wireless Movement." Today, EFF is proud to announce the launch of the Open Wireless Movement—located at—a coalition effort put forth in conjunction with nine other organizations: Fight for the Future, Free Press, Internet Archive, NYCwireless, the Open Garden Foundation, OpenITP, the Open Spectrum Alliance, the Open Technology Institute, and the Personal Telco Project.
    Fixing the mobile Internet. Together.
    More than 3M people use Open Garden today. By joining Open Garden, you are joining forces to make the Internet better, faster and more reliable – for everyone, including yourself. Open Garden allows all devices (including smart phones, tablets, laptops and “wearables”) to work together and find the best connections at any time. The more people use it, the better it gets.
    In the United States, there are strong arguments that the significant legal protections that already apply to ISPs also apply to open wireless operators. We believe these laws greatly reduce the risk of being held liable for the activities of neighbors and passersby. However, some risks do still exist. This page discusses the protections, the risks, and what you can do to minimize them.
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016

White Oak Plantation
    Color me skeptical.....nothing is ever free.

Anyway, I'm not a "urban" kind of guy.

Mandating that I "assist" the authorities, in a emergency, if I have one of these "open networks" is anti-liberty. Who really owns the network once it (and eventually all of them) are some day considered vital and classified as a utility.

Nope, I'll freeload when the opportunity arises.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    I think it's a fantastic idea. And FYI, very bright people have been producing things for free for long time. In more recent times, programmers who are paid well in their jobs yet have free time to create their own ideas often do so, producing a host of freeware such as Irfanview, Stellarium, MySQL, and Apache - on which about half of the Internet actually runs. For free!

Open Gardens is a localized version of the multipath algorithms on which the Internet runs. Again - stellar idea.
    The 1st protects the 2nd, and the 2nd protects the 1st. GET THIS OR LOSE IT ALLl: 27-2=0. Our 2A is THE bellwether, and ain't none finer: Islamic Reality. Our Founding Fathers on Church and State. PC=ZERO.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Freeware and open source projects aren't free, they're funded some way or another, even if it is simply someone donating their time, knowledge and skill. Someone is paying something to make it a reality, though. There may be no charge to acquire it, but there is even still cost associated with it's acquisition.

Anyway, about open wireless movement. I guess I don't get it. Is it just people pushing for everyone to open up their networks? That's it? That simple? I don't know about that. I'm certainly not opening up my wireless to the public.

"We're working with a coalition of volunteer engineers to build technologies that will let users open their wireless networks without compromising their security or sacrificing bandwidth. And we're working with advocates to help change the way people and businesses think about Internet service."

You will always sacrifice security and bandwidth when providing connection to the public. The only question is, how much?

"The false notion that an IP address could be used as a sole identifier is finally a thing of the past, creating a privacy-enhancing norm of shared networks." I don't see how this is the case, unless you develop technology to specifically accomplish this. Simply using an open/public network doesn't necessarily mask your identity. And with IPv6, it would probably be even less the case, I would think.

Anyway, I think it's a nice idea, I think. I think it's a huge challenge, though. Hope they're up for it. I mean I like the idea... but... I think they have a long way to go. People don't need to just go around just turning off the security on their soho routers. Most business that offer "open" wireless services utilize business class equipment to keep their private networks safe, some even have completely separate infrastructure and ISP connections for guest networks. Individuals obviously can't afford to that. The businesses don't see some of the benefits listed on that page, they're simply doing it for competitive purposes - they are offering a service to draw people to their business.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 03-29-2014 at 06:39 PM.
    Righteous government, or the righteous lack thereof, is the product of a righteous society, not the producer of it.