• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry Institute are they legit?

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Apparently they are a retable online training instructor company. That is recognized by the Virginia's cc permit requirements? Anyone dealt with them?

http://www.concealed-carry.net/

James
I have dealt with them, it is an online class that qualifies in VA for certification. There is no hands on training, it is strictly watch a video and take the online test. OK for someone who is competent with firearms and only needs a piece of paper for CHP. I recommend hands on training for someone that is not versed in handling and operation of a firearm to be comfortable.

I have never taken any classes from him but hear nothing but good things about Proshooters classes.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Apparently they are a retable online training instructor company. That is recognized by the Virginia's cc permit requirements? Anyone dealt with them?

James

Here we go again...More CHP sh**.

They are online training but so is the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. Get a free Hunter Safety course and you're qualified to get a CHP but neither train you to do anything. Actually between the two I'd pick DGIF even if they weren't free.

If you want training, get in touch with Proshooter.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What you need in order to get a CHP is vastly different from what you probably, in most of some people's opinion, you ought to have to carry safely and/or sanely are two VERY DIFFERENT things.

And since The Commonwealth of Virginia only specifies what sort of "training" you need for a CHP, it follows as a matter of legal interepretation (go ahead, ask the attorney you pay if they disagree, and if so, why) that there is no minimum level of training required in order to lawfully open carry.

Some folks who are getting all twisted about the knickers have a vested interest in folks who want to get a CHP. Some of that group also offer general handgun training (techniques and/or tactics) along with some discussion of the legal nicieties of carrying and shooting - either as part of their CHP course or separately. Some don't have any vested interest except to let everybody else know what they think.

Training is probably better than no training. That being said, there are a large number of folks that I know and trust to carry safele/sanely and shoot more or less in accordance with the law who never took any training other than what was needed to qualify for a CHP. Those folks actually outnumber a subset of the folks I know who are training ******, attending every class they hear about that they can afford the time and funds to attend. (And some of the folks in the latter set/subset are often held up the the general population as "experts" in the matter. Scary, aint it?)

So how about we start dogpiling on me instead of going off about what amount of training you legally/lawfully do or do not need in order to carry.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What you need in order to get a CHP is vastly different from what you probably, in most of some people's opinion, you ought to have to carry safely and/or sanely are two VERY DIFFERENT things.

And since The Commonwealth of Virginia only specifies what sort of "training" you need for a CHP, it follows as a matter of legal interepretation (go ahead, ask the attorney you pay if they disagree, and if so, why) that there is no minimum level of training required in order to lawfully open carry.

Some folks who are getting all twisted about the knickers have a vested interest in folks who want to get a CHP. Some of that group also offer general handgun training (techniques and/or tactics) along with some discussion of the legal nicieties of carrying and shooting - either as part of their CHP course or separately. Some don't have any vested interest except to let everybody else know what they think.

Training is probably better than no training. That being said, there are a large number of folks that I know and trust to carry safele/sanely and shoot more or less in accordance with the law who never took any training other than what was needed to qualify for a CHP. Those folks actually outnumber a subset of the folks I know who are training ******, attending every class they hear about that they can afford the time and funds to attend. (And some of the folks in the latter set/subset are often held up the the general population as "experts" in the matter. Scary, aint it?)

So how about we start dogpiling on me instead of going off about what amount of training you legally/lawfully do or do not need in order to carry.

stay safe.

Well Hell Skid....HE asked:
Apparently they are a retable online training instructor company.

I must have missed something. I was preoccupied trying to get advice about adjusting the valves on my motorcycle from those hateful knitting people.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
By the way James, none of this discussion has anything to do with you personally. Hopefully you will open carry even if you get a permit. Skidmark has his direction but mine had your CHP question in my crosshairs.

This is a board that is supposedly dedicated to Open Carry. Granted many people here have a CHP and still open carry but we get many new ones that have no interest in it at all. They actually want Va to follow places like Texas that are permit only. When that happens, we've lost the right to carry a gun and traded it for a privilege.

Last edited:

Jimmy123

I applaud people that open carry and express their rights. Although my personal preference is not to carry a gun openly. I do plan on getting hands on training Again nothing against folks that open carry everyday without fail.;)

James

Last edited:

ChristCrusader

I recommend that you consider https://secure.onlineguntraining.com/, a similar online "course" for $20. It's approved in VA. Consists of a 20 min video to watch and some easy multiple choice questions at the end (my 11 year old knew the answers ;) ) You print off your certificate of completion to turn in with your application.
The site provides a phone number if there's any questions at the clerk's office as to its legitimacy, but have not known of anyone needing to do that.
It teaches basic gun mechanical features and basic safety. Your own degree of self preservation will dictate what other training elsewhere you'll pursue, but this will get you over the CHP requirements hurdle :D

Last edited:

Blk97F150

I applaud people that open carry and express their rights. Although my personal preference is not to carry a gun openly. I do plan on getting hands on training Again nothing against folks that open carry everyday without fail.;)

James

Proactive Shooters has a Groupon deal that you can attend live in-person training, from certified instructors, for barely more than the cost of on 'online' class....
http://www.groupon.com/deals/proactive-shooters

va_tazdad

Reality

James

Taking an "on-line" class for firearms is equal to watching the "Borne Trilogy" and thinking you are now qualified to be a secret agent. There is no actual training provided.

Yes, it qualifies under the state regulations, but in reality, is worthless. The minor extra cost of a course with someone like Proshooter is well worth the money and time expended.

Knowledge is power, and you will learn far more from a real instructor.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

James

That was kinda my point James. Why would someone come to OPENcarry.org for advice on CHP training?

ChristCrusader

Taking an "on-line" class for firearms is equal to watching the "Borne Trilogy" and thinking you are now qualified to be a secret agent. There is no actual training provided.

Yes, it qualifies under the state regulations, but in reality, is worthless. The minor extra cost of a course with someone like Proshooter is well worth the money and time expended.

Knowledge is power, and you will learn far more from a real instructor.

Some people have the knowledge and experience in firearms already, and just need to get a printed certificate to get past the Clerk.

As someone alluded to earlier, there's no knowledge qualifications for open carrying, why the extra fuss over concealed carrying? It could simply be the difference of a piece of clothing draped over a holster.

Carrying's not THAT complicated, other than dodging the prohibitive statutory mines scattered all around us. 99.999% of the time the firearm's holsterd in the presence of the public, where it can do no harm. Safe handling of it boils down to 4 simple golden rules. And cleaning is not carrying, so the owner needs to take care of learning that on his own, seperate from the concern of the public.

Carrying does not require 007 or Jason Bourne skills. Shooting requires more skill than just carying, but it uber-rarely happens (other than the range), and despite routine training, even cops often suck at that when the situation gets intense, as it's a limitation of biology, yet we don't prohibit them from carryng or shooting in an emergency.

It still boils down to carrying is safe. Carrying and being able to have the chance/choice to shoot is safer than not carrying and leaving that choice only to the bad guy.

Self-preservation should motivate someone to train appropriate to their means to be able to hit their target for their own survival, and in the case of that rare emergeny, to avoid hurting anyone else for their own conscience's sake and their subsequent exposure to civil/criminal penalties.

But walking out the door and carrying is safe. Anything beyond carrying there are laws and it's your own tucas on the line, so learn as much as you see fit, and let the prosecutor teach you whatever else you might try to do that's wrong outside of the holster.

But just to carry is easy, and that's all getting a permit is about, carrying a different way and in some additional places. I think what the issuing gov't really cares about is the background check, and a chance to know for the future who specifically is likely to be armed.

I see nothing wrong with minimalist training to be allowed to carry, with the caveat that anything outside the holster has grave responsibilities for the carrier. But it's still better setting the threshold too high so as to discourage carrying.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yeah Taz....Why do you insist on answering people's questions about training when you could write a full page of nonsense. You're such a dumbass:lol:

Besides, people shouldn't learn to handle a gun before they carry it. I was monitoring a CHP class a few years ago where one bright newbie was carting around a brand new SIG that was locked...and he had left the key at home. It makes a boring day interesting.:uhoh:

va_tazdad

Yeah Taz....Why do you insist on answering people's questions about training when you could write a full page of nonsense. You're such a dumbass:lol:

Besides, people shouldn't learn to handle a gun before they carry it. I was monitoring a CHP class a few years ago where one bright newbie was carting around a brand new SIG that was locked...and he had left the key at home. It makes a boring day interesting.:uhoh:

LOL WHAT was I thinking? How DARE I reply with less than a full page of silliness?

I will endeavor to do better in the future. ;>)

Liberty-or-Death

I expected some hands on information and training at the class I attended for CHP application purposes. No such luck. In fact, I was asked to return my pistol to my vehicle as no handguns were allowed in the class. :confused:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I expected some hands on information and training at the class I attended for CHP application purposes. No such luck. In fact, I was asked to return my pistol to my vehicle as no handguns were allowed in the class. :confused:

Familiarity with the nomenclature and operation of handguns, as required for the CHP, can be "taught" via posters. In a class of #x, there are likely to be #x-y different models and providing hands-on training can eat up lots of time. Also, unless someone provides snap-caps or other dummy rounds there can be a lot of live ammo going into guns being handled by not only newbies but douffi.

It pays to inquire just what will be covered, and how it will be taught, before putting down money for any course of instruction - handguns, rocket surgery, or whatever. Sounds like what you wanted was the "Basic Pistol/Revolver" class. That costs extra.

stay safe.

scouser

I recommend that you consider https://secure.onlineguntraining.com/, a similar online "course" for $20. It's approved in VA. Consists of a 20 min video to watch and some easy multiple choice questions at the end (my 11 year old knew the answers ;) ) You print off your certificate of completion to turn in with your application.

Some people have the knowledge and experience in firearms already, and just need to get a printed certificate to get past the Clerk.

If ALL they need is the piece of paper why would you recommend them paying $20 when they can do a hunter safety course for FREE ?

oh, and let the goats cross the bridge in peace for once .............

ChristCrusader

If ALL they need is the piece of paper why would you recommend them paying $20 when they can do a hunter safety course for FREE ?
  • The schedules I've seen listed for free hunter safety courses have limited times and locations with classes often filling up months in advance.
  • If one isn't planning on hunting, I imagine that there would be hours of course time spent on material superfluous to the simpler goal of merely getting a CHP.
  • The convenience of a simple online course that can be quickly completed whenever and wherever may be worth $20 to some, especially if the "free" hunter course option requires hours of $-valued time to complete the course plus a possibly lengthy commute to get to/from it.

Last edited: