• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry Institute are they legit?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I expected some hands on information and training at the class I attended for CHP application purposes. No such luck. In fact, I was asked to return my pistol to my vehicle as no handguns were allowed in the class. :confused:

Where did you take that class? That's odd.

We always allow handguns in class, and I check them all. We just don't allow live ammo for safety reasons.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Where did you take that class? That's odd.

We always allow handguns in class, and I check them all. We just don't allow live ammo for safety reasons.

The class I was referring to with the locked Sig was yours Jim.:lol: That guy definitely needed a little coaching.

All guns were welcome, all were checked including mine for ammo, hands on was with toy guns for some demonstrations where sweeping the class was necessary...and the real thing for others. Each kind of gun in the class was covered on an individual basis as well as other common types.

ps3.jpg

Now as far as having to get training, I agree it shouldn't be required but I also don't think a permit should be required. A lot of us grew up shooting. I've owned a gun since I was 6. Most of us that did grow up with them though are constantly getting new training.

Hunters don't have to have training but I've been reviewing the DGIF accident reports for the last few years for a project I'm working on.
Those simple ass dog hunters shoot each other all the time. Kinda like a twit of the year contest. Tickles the hell out of me. Chippers are welcome to add to the amusement if they want.

Last edited:

cirrusly

To the OP. I did http://www.vaguntraining.com/ and for $24 received my CCW.

Not sure of your proficiency with a handgun, but if you're a beginner I would highly recommend the Virginia-Utah CCW class from Capital Defense LLC (if you're in the NoVA area). They hold classes at the NRA Range in Fairfax. Alternatively, Blue Ridge Arsenal isn't terrible, but they have higher than average prices.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thinking of writing a Cliff Notes style book:

Everything You Need to Know About Your ________ to be Allowed To Defend Yourself. The purchaser simply pens in the brand and model of his gun in the space provided.

One size fits all. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Everything You Need to Know About Your ________ to be Allowed To Defend Yourself. The purchaser simply pens in the brand and model of his gun in the space provided.

Spit coffee on the keyboard again Grape!:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

There is a vast difference between what is required to be allowed/permitted to defend yourself and what is necessary to be able to do so with some level of efficiency and expertise.

And I want that difference to continue to exist. CHP classes to learn when and where you can carry concealed, and perhaps some discussion about the laws relating to defense of self and others. Perhaps. I can see the State having a small amount of skin in that game.

As for how well you do - the State has, in my very carefully considered opinion, no business in getting involved until it becomes necessary to sort out things after the event.

stay safe.