• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the difference between buying a firearm and getting your Endoresment?

OC for ME

Why is it I can buy a gat in less than 15 minutes, but can't get endorsement renewed in less than 15 minutes?

Any ideas out there? I'll check with the St. Charles County Sheriff's office and ask the question.

attrapereves

My guess would be that the background check for the permit is more in depth. That being said, several states offer permits and issue them on site in 10-20 minutes while you wait.

I just wish we could bypass the NICS check by using our endorsement like several other states have.

JEStucker

My guess would be that the background check for the permit is more in depth. That being said, several states offer permits and issue them on site in 10-20 minutes while you wait.

I just wish we could bypass the NICS check by using our endorsement like several other states have.

I second this motion... if I have a valid carry endorsement, then I shouldn't have to fill out a 4473 and have the NICS check

Redbaron007

I second this motion... if I have a valid carry endorsement, then I shouldn't have to fill out a 4473 and have the NICS check

I don't think this will because....the 4473 is a Federal Form; while the endorsement is a State endorsement. The two have nothing in common other than a back ground check or NICS check. One would have to convince the Feds to accept the endorsement; and right now, I doubt that will happen. Although, I like your idea...the feds will not like a FFL selling a firearm to an individual with no record other than the sales receipt.

solus

speaking from the other side of the fence, trust me, the NICS gauntlet is a piece of cake verses going to the local country sheriff, after spending the money for the day long class, complete a stack of paperwork, get finger printed, 'donate' almost another C note to the sheriff so they can, in 5 weeks, issue the NC Conceal Handgun Permit or complete a single sheet of paper for the sheriff , pay $5 per Purchase Pistol Permit so the good citizens of NC do not have to subject ourselves to the FBI NICS background check.

as was pointed out the 4473 is a federally mandated document but all we must do is present our CHP to or give the FFL a copy of the PPP (one per handgun), which they annotate on your 4473.

the FFL still have the discretion besides documenting these NC official documents still do run the buyer through the FBI's NICS because there is always the possibility the buyer did not follow state law and surrender their documents as prescribed by NC statutes when they got convicted of DV, or a felony etc.

now i have not mentioned the 'good olde boy' sheriff who personally knows billy bob's mischief history (nickle dime things that might not have ended up in the judicial system but the sheriff knows about them) and just doesn't want to issue a CHP or PPP to him. so the sheriff uses their discretion and denys the CHP/PPP request hoping billy bob doesn't have the cash or mentality to pursue the denial through the courts. Billy bob is screwed and can not buy a hand gun from any state FFL w/o those documents.

finally, these activities were enacted in a period of NC which did not see all it's citizens as equal yet remain on the books and are the rule of the Tarheel state. i have personal knowledge of one older individual of color who was within the last 1.5 years unduly hassled just trying to turn in their paperwork to the sheriff so they could apply to get their CHP.

careful what you wish for...

ipse

Last edited:

attrapereves

I don't think this will because....the 4473 is a Federal Form; while the endorsement is a State endorsement. The two have nothing in common other than a back ground check or NICS check. One would have to convince the Feds to accept the endorsement; and right now, I doubt that will happen. Although, I like your idea...the feds will not like a FFL selling a firearm to an individual with no record other than the sales receipt.

There are plenty of other states that allow bypassing a NICS check by showing a concealed carry permit. When I lived in NC, I only had to complete the 4473, show my permit, and be on my way.

I've been told that Missouri doesn't qualify as they do not perform periodic background checks. Instead, they only perform checks when renewing.

Here's a list of states: http://www.atf.gov/files/publicatio...1st-editiion/permanent-brady-permit-chart.pdf

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
More complaints about not getting permission easy enough... we need to be getting rid of asking permission instead, the others are a simple ploy to market the control better.

Redbaron007

There are plenty of other states that allow bypassing a NICS check by showing a concealed carry permit. When I lived in NC, I only had to complete the 4473, show my permit, and be on my way.

I've been told that Missouri doesn't qualify as they do not perform periodic background checks. Instead, they only perform checks when renewing.

Here's a list of states: http://www.atf.gov/files/publicatio...1st-editiion/permanent-brady-permit-chart.pdf

Your CCP didn't prevent you from completing a 4473; so one still has to complete this with or w/o a CCW/P. :banghead:

It would be nice for the FEDs to forgo a 4473 if you have a CCW/P; but that'll never happen.....they still want to know which FFL sold which gun(s). :banghead:

In AR if you have a CCW permit you have to fill out the 4473 but the background check is not called in. Saves 5-10 minutes is all.