Thread: Ladies with CPL's, The Seattle Times would like your help

Ladies with CPL's, The Seattle Times would like your help

I was contacted the other night by Erica and talked with her for quite a while. Here's your chance ladies to get the info out there.

My name is Erika Schultz, and I work as a staff photographer at The Seattle Times.

I'm working on a series of photographic portraits of women who are have Concealed Pistol Licenses in Washington state. We've been looking at the data, and there has been an increase in CPL's over the last few years in our state, particularly among women.

For the project, I'm looking to photograph a diversity of women with their guns (at their homes or in their community) with accompanying text to paint a picture of why it's important for them to have a CPL. I'm trying to find as many women possible to represent a cross-section of ages, cultural backgrounds, locations in our state and reasons why women have a CPL.

If you know of anyone who may be interested, could you have them contact me at: eschultz@seattletimes.com.
    And fill out:

Name:
    Email:
    Years with CPL:
    A few sentences why it is important for them to have a CPL:

(This initial information would not be published, but just be used to information gathering.)

You can view some of my previous work from the 'Times, here: http://seattletimes.com/html/photoga...phy2004165744/

Thanks for your time and help.

Sincerely,
    Erika

M1gunner I presume?
    Will ask my woman if she's interested.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyKrack View Post
    M1gunner I presume?
    Will ask my woman if she's interested.
    M1Gunr actually. I talked to this woman for quite a while last night. She's very interested and and actually took the time to look up some of the laws and allowed me to fill her in on state laws and carrying. My wife is going to submit info and I think the story will be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    M1Gunr actually. I talked to this woman for quite a while last night. She's very interested and and actually took the time to look up some of the laws and allowed me to fill her in on state laws and carrying. My wife is going to submit info and I think the story will be a good one.
    I hope so. Sadly the very first thought that popped into me head was "which way is ST going to spin THIS one".
    I do not recall a positive story regarding ANYTHING 2a related coming from them. Have only read them for a few years however.

My wife's CPL should be in the mail soon.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Hi Bill,

I understand their apprehension. It's pretty scary to share your story with the public. In all honesty though, I think it's a good opportunity for gun owners to help educate the public on why they carry.

The article is a very straight forward story on the increase of CPLS in our state, particularly among women. I just got off the phone with Brian Rosenthal, our reporter. He agrees this article is an chance for women gun owners to educate and help non-gun owners understand why they carry. That's our goal.

I have a history of working with sensitive subjects, and strive to be fair when representing the individuals I photograph. If your community wants to look at previous projects, feel free to have them visit my website: www.erikajschultz.com

Also, I'm not scared of guns or have an particular agenda. I grew up in central Wyoming, and continue to go hunting with my father, who has had a CPL for at least 10 years.

Let me know if I can help in any way. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Erica

Well,,,

Hope she looks for and interviews women that carry openly without a CPL!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

You can do that?

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

I realize this is probably on the up and up, but after seeing a request for all this:

Name:
    Email:
    Years with CPL:
    I can't help but remember Pete Holmes's failed attempt on the Sunshine Committee to try and blow smoke and act like there was ambiguity about CPL info being protected from public disclosure in WA and attempting to help the liberal media here do what happened in NY with the gun owners map/list.

For those who aren't familiar with that, read this thread and watch the hearing video that Gogodawgs posted in it.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...light=Sunshine

In liberal WA you'd have to be awfully sure of your job not to suffer employment discrimination from many places if they found out you own guns.
    Last edited by Alpine; 03-22-2014 at 02:20 AM.

Ummm... So, she's a "she"? And she wants to know "why women carry"?

I'm not convinced that she is our friend.
    Just sayin'...

OK

I passed this to my Sweet Baboo and she would like to participate.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    I realize this is probably on the up and up, but after seeing a request for all this:

I can't help but remember Pete Holmes's failed attempt on the Sunshine Committee to try and blow smoke and act like there was ambiguity about CPL info being protected from public disclosure in WA and attempting to help the liberal media here do what happened in NY with the gun owners map/list.

For those who aren't familiar with that, read this thread and watch the hearing video that Gogodawgs posted in it.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...light=Sunshine

In liberal WA you'd have to be awfully sure of your job not to suffer employment discrimination from many places if they found out you own guns.

You might also remember sometime ago there was a Washington CPL list by county.

Next I suppose instead of seeing if they are a friend of foe, we just start shooting them at the gate. Problem solved Huh? I'd suggest the "tin foil hats" come off, change your gender and submit ONLY the info you are comfortable with sending.

Out of Town.

Unfortunately my wife is in Japan until June, she might have enjoyed this.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

I was interviewed by the Kitsap Sun for an article on CPL holders. My girlfriend sent in an email so we'll find out if this is legit. But I think if they do it right it will be very positive.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

I have recommended they contact Gila Hayes as well of the Firearms Academy of Seattle which would be a great resource for their story.

https://firearmsacademy.com/activities/a-girl-and-a-gun
    Last edited by BigDave; 03-23-2014 at 12:50 AM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Batousaii View Post
    Unfortunately my wife is in Japan until June, she might have enjoyed this.
    find a pic of her carrying and have her do the interview by email.

Would she be interested in interviews with girls who don't have CPL's but actively OC?

all I can say is contact her and see

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    You might also remember sometime ago there was a Washington CPL list by county.

Next I suppose instead of seeing if they are a friend of foe, we just start shooting them at the gate. Problem solved Huh? I'd suggest the "tin foil hats" come off, change your gender and submit ONLY the info you are comfortable with sending.
    To be fair, those lists were raw total numbers and didn't identify someone.

I doubt this woman will include anyone she can't positively identify.

It's probably on the up and up, but I am so used to the Seattle Times doing hit pieces on gun owners that I am reluctant to believe they'd ever portray them in a positive light.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    To be fair, those lists were raw total numbers and didn't identify someone.

I doubt this woman will include anyone she can't positively identify.

It's probably on the up and up, but I am so used to the Seattle Times doing hit pieces on gun owners that I am reluctant to believe they'd ever portray them in a positive light.
    John and I have had a few discussions with a Seattle Times reporter who treated us very fairly (and she was really cute)
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

This seams pretty interesting. I'll have to check this out and see if she is still looking for participants.

My Sweet Baboo contacted them right away, but has not (yet) been replied to.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington