• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open/concealed carry while off the clock.

David McFeaters

Hi everyone I am new here and I had a question that hopefully someone could answer. I work for an ambulance service that obviously doesn't allow firearms on the property and on duty etc. This I understand but the issue that came up recently and is causing contention is that when an employee goes off the clock and off the property they are allowed to open and concealed carry per PA and Federal law etc. The company now says they can deny employees the right to wear a firearm off duty and off the clock while commuting or in public places while still wearing our uniforms. The issue I have with this is that once I am clocked out like many others is that I am now a private citizen and have the right to carry etc guaranteed by state and federal law how or when did an employer gain the right to deny myself or others the right to lawfully carry based on this policy? When challenged or questioned they become argumentative and it becomes hostile and all policy and bylaws must be based of constitutional standards without infringement and the companies lawyer always agrees with what they want to do right or wrong.

Any ideas or solutions to this situation? I understand that when we are commuting while still in uniform we are representing the company but we are off the clock and off duty as private citizens. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

b0neZ

I had to wear uniforms for a few jobs over the years, and the thing that was told to me each time was whether on or off the clock, when you wear a companys uniform, you are a representative of that company, and must act accordingly. When the public sees you, they won't see Joe, they see Joe who works for Acme, Inc.

For some reason branded T-shirts are viewed differently.

Another thing: Company uniforms are owned by the company, so they can state what can/can't be worn with said clothing.

YMMV.

Last edited:

David McFeaters

The other part of the issue is that our company has basically stopped providing uniforms and we usually have to buy our own and we have suggested solutions but they wont consider anything including securing firearms in a weapons locker. The other issue is that if you read the EMS laws pertaining to EMT and paramedics that they cant carry while on duty this has implications for volunteers as well as off duty persons who are carrying and stop to render aid due to duty to act they would be in violation of EMS ACT and company policy. A volunteer is considered always on duty so technically saying they can never carry due to this technically would violate the persons rights to carry etc. Like I said this is a very touch situation and both sides are very defensive and trying to negotiate and get some common ground isn't exactly easy at this point. Just some interesting things to consider. Our company has no issue with police, sheriffs, constables etc having weapons on property or in our units but law abiding citizens off the clock are a different story.