• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brandishing

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I am not arguing that the act of placing ones hand on the butt of a holstered firearm is or is not "brandishing" or "assault" but that it is patently unfair to determine AUTOMATICALLY that one is justified or allowed such behavior and another NOT simply based upon the fact that one is employed by the "HOLY STATE" and another is not.

Respectfull, I disagree.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/assault
Assault
Definition

1. Intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. No intent to cause physical injury needs to exist, and no physical injury needs to result. So defined in tort law and the criminal statutes of some states.

2. With the intent to cause physical injury, making another person reasonably apprehend an imminent harmful or offensive contact. Essentially, an attempted battery. So defined in the criminal statutes of some states.

3. With the intent to cause physical injury, actually causing such injury to another person. Essentially, the same as a battery. So defined in the criminal statutes of some states, and so understood in popular usage.

Illustrative caselaw

See, e.g. Raess v. Doescher, 883 N.E.2d 790 (Ind. 2008).

Are you confusing "assault" with the actual impermissive touch of "battery"?

stay safe.

OC for ME

Nay, nay. The 2A includes such instruments.

IMHO - dueling was never a 2A thing. Dueling is not about the right to "keep and bear Arms." Dueling is about using those Arms in a manner not intended - to settle an argument. That is precisely of what some anti's try to hang about our necks.

Dueling is an aggressive act, not a defensive one. It is not "necessary to the security of a free State...."
You are correct, the tools used are irrelevant, academically speaking.

Dueling, with pistols, was a agreement between two gentlemen, free citizens, to resolve a dispute in a mutually agreed manner. There was no legal prohibition against dueling at one point in our history. But, the state stepped in, and made the act of two free citizens resolving a dispute in a manner of their choosing unlawful. The state mandates that two free citizens must use the state to resolve disputes. There is nothing liberty centric about this conflict resolution technique, academically speaking that is.

Fortunately we have "evolved" beyond dueling with arms. :rolleyes:

Glockster

The brandishing statute and the ways in which the courts' interpretations have warped it are discussed in the petition for appeal I've filed in the Henrico Co. case - you can download a copy off of my website, scroll down to the set of links marked, "useful stuff" and it's the last in that set. It is, of course, highly technical legal stuff, and some of it is in Latin, but I reckon you can get the gist of it.

I had apparently missed the above the first time around and so just got the chance to read it. Man, I just love reading your briefs and pleadings -- and I mean that seriously. I think that this is one of those "must" reads for anyone seriously interested in understanding the current brandishing laws and those problems.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Fortunately we have "evolved" beyond dueling with arms. :rolleyes:

No need for the scare quotes IMO.

Remember that dueling continued for some time after it was outlawed. The famous (and awesome) Burr-Hamilton duel was illegal, yet that did not stop the participants (who took elaborate precautions to avoid the law).

It seems to me that, as usual, the law followed (and took credit for) a social shift which was already underway, rather than forcing such a change.

Prohibitions which do not have the support of society at large are doomed to failure. See, for instance, prohibition of drugs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Prohibitions which do not have the support of society at large are doomed to failure. See, for instance, prohibition of drugs.

Very few drugs are prohibited, and even those that are considered such can be purchased legally at mom & pop operations, giant retail chains, even at Wal-Mart.

We call them Drug Stores. :p

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Very few drugs are prohibited, and even those that are considered such can be purchased legally at mom & pop operations, giant retail chains, even at Wal-Mart.

We call them Drug Stores. :p

Sure, but "prohibition of some drugs" is too long-winded.

Usually I just stick with "prohibition". I felt the need to be specific here, but I suppose a reference to alcohol prohibition would have been equally useful.

OC for ME

No need for the scare quotes IMO.

Remember that dueling continued for some time after it was outlawed. The famous (and awesome) Burr-Hamilton duel was illegal, yet that did not stop the participants (who took elaborate precautions to avoid the law).

It seems to me that, as usual, the law followed (and took credit for) a social shift which was already underway, rather than forcing such a change.

Well stated.
What once had been a formal process designed to avoid violence and amend grievances had deteriorated into cold-blooded murder.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/duel/sfeature/dueling.html

JoeSparky

Centurion
Respectfull, I disagree.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/assault

Are you confusing "assault" with the actual impermissive touch of "battery"?

stay safe.

Nope, please re-read my post. Was not making ANY argument about whether placing ones hand on the butt of their holstered firearm was appropriate or legal or a crime of any sort--- just that it is patently unfair to have the exact same action a crime for one and not for another based upon who employs them.

Or for example, if it isn't to insensitive---- a uniformed officer or officer of the court points a finger at a retiredperson without repurcussions during a discussion compared to a retired individual "person" pointing a finger at a uniformed officer and gets arrested, charged, drug through a court proceeding with all of its associated costs and expenses....

I know in my example the citizen was eventually found to have not violated the law but he may have beat the charge but not the ride.....

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Hey! Interesting Brandishing Case in Pr. Wm. Cir. Ct. Coming Up!

There's a really interesting brandishing case coming up, it's a public hearing, and we can use all the support we can get! August McCarthy will be arguing a motion to dismiss on Friday, April 11, at 9 o'clock a.m., and the jury trial is set for Wednesday, April 16 at 10 o'clock. Both hearings will be of great interest.

We've been working for some time on identifying the problems with the brandishing statute, both with an eye to legislative reform, as well as criminal defense, and the motion to dismiss will be attacking the statute on a number of fronts. If that motion is unsuccessful, the trial will be one of those cases in which the defendant did, in fact, hold a gun, but it was in self-defense against a much larger guy who was approaching him in an aggressive manner and making threats. And he never held the gun other than at "ready position", muzzle pointed at the ground. The other guy was road-enraged - in a case similar to that of our Liverpudlian friend, he thought the client should have gotten out of his way.

Prince William County Circuit Court, 9311 Lee Avenue Manassas, VA 20110
There are security scanners operated by the sheriff's office at the entrance; weapons, cameras and recording devices prohibited, and court-room-appropriate attire is required. Best to leave everything other than car keys, emergency medicines, and Id. in the car. If you feel like wearing shooting glasses, that's ok.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There's a really interesting brandishing case coming up, it's a public hearing, and we can use all the support we can get! August McCarthy will be arguing a motion to dismiss on Friday, April 11, at 9 o'clock a.m., and the jury trial is set for Wednesday, April 16 at 10 o'clock. Both hearings will be of great interest.

We've been working for some time on identifying the problems with the brandishing statute, both with an eye to legislative reform, as well as criminal defense, and the motion to dismiss will be attacking the statute on a number of fronts. If that motion is unsuccessful, the trial will be one of those cases in which the defendant did, in fact, hold a gun, but it was in self-defense against a much larger guy who was approaching him in an aggressive manner and making threats. And he never held the gun other than at "ready position", muzzle pointed at the ground. The other guy was road-enraged - in a case similar to that of our Liverpudlian friend, he thought the client should have gotten out of his way.

Prince William County Circuit Court, 9311 Lee Avenue Manassas, VA 20110
There are security scanners operated by the sheriff's office at the entrance; weapons, cameras and recording devices prohibited, and court-room-appropriate attire is required. Best to leave everything other than car keys, emergency medicines, and Id. in the car. If you feel like wearing shooting glasses, that's ok.

That would be worth crossing the Ni river!

WalkingWolf

Every state has laws to cover assault with a weapon. The brandishing and in NC GATTTOP charge are absolutely unnecessary. Unwarranted handling of a firearm in a non threatening manner but one to cause alarm the reckless conduct charge can be used.

To be on the safe side though, I keep my hands off my holstered weapon.

Arma1911

User,

I'd like to be there on Friday. How long do you expect the hearing to last? When I get into the courthouse will there be a sign that has a listing of cases and the associated rooms? Or is there only one courtroom? Sorry, if this seems like an ignorant question, but I have never been to a court proceeding before. Just one more reason for me to go! Thank you for posting.

user

Accomplished Advocate
The case number is CR13002711-00; the Defendant's name is Raul Linares.
It will be in one of the Circuit Court courtrooms, probably on the third floor.
The docket will be posted, but will also be lying on the counter at the information desk.
No specific courtroom has yet been assigned.
There will be a number of cases heard on that same motions docket, but when it comes up it will take a half-hour or less. It starts at 9, and I generally figure I'll be out by lunchtime.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
More interesting yet is team User. It's like watching a really goof ballet. I'm going to try to sneak up north too.:uhoh: