Thread: Sailor, civilian killed in shooting at NavSta Norfolk aboard USS Mahan

Sailor, civilian killed in shooting at NavSta Norfolk aboard USS Mahan

"A man shot and killed a U.S. sailor and then was shot and killed himself by security forces at the Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia, a military spokeswoman said ... the shootings aboard the USS Mahan destroyer occurred just before midnight on Monday, Fox News reported."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-naval-statio/

G00gle Real timecoverage
    https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...8mC-MFUg_Rvk6M

Naval Station Norfolk
    about an hour ago
    Naval Station Norfolk Shooting (UPDATE 5:00 a.m.)

NORFOLK, Va. – There are two fatalities, one male Sailor and one male civilian suspect, following a shooting at Naval Station Norfolk last night. Naval security forces killed the suspect.
    The incident occurred at approximately 11:20 p.m. at Pier 1 on board USS MAHAN (DDG 72). No other injuries have been reported.
    Naval Station Norfolk was briefly put on lockdown as a precautionary measure. The lockdown lasted approximately 45 minutes.

With the exception of Pier 1, operations have returned to normal at Naval Station Norfolk.

For USS MAHAN – officers, chiefs and duty section personnel ONLY. Non-duty section enlisted personnel should NOT report.

Counselors from Navy Fleet and Family Service Center are on hand to assist personnel.

The shooting and the details surrounding it are under investigation.

-USN-
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-25-2014 at 06:44 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Murder suicide?

Lovers quarrel ?

Domestic violence ?
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Shooting at Norfolk Navy Yards

Navy security forces kill suspect in sailor's shooting death at Naval Station Norfolk

A man fatally shot a U.S. Navy sailor before being shot and killed by responding security forces at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia late Monday, a base spokeswoman said.

Terri Davis says the shooting happened around 11:20 p.m. Monday aboard the USS Mahan, a destroyer. Davis would not describe the circumstances of the shooting but said the scene is secure.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/25...officials-say/

Once again, a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun....

Does it matter at this point?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Does it matter at this point?
    The response from my old sailors' mailing list has been universally of domestic violence, though not in such delicate terms (referring to particular acts and which sailors are and are not capable of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    The response from my old sailors' mailing list has been universally of domestic violence, though not in such delicate terms (referring to particular acts and which sailors are and are not capable of them).
    Belly-up to the bar conversation.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

POOW disarmed and his gun was used to kill a third party.

The man was approaching the quarterdeck when sailors working security confronted him, Clark said. During a struggle, the man disarmed the petty officer of the watch, he said. He used the petty officer's gun to shoot and kill a different sailor who had come to help, Clark said. "Naval Security Forces then killed the suspect," Clark said. Clark emphasized that the man was not armed when he entered the base.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/25/justic...navy-shooting/

Banned
    Does not look like that there is much the Navy can do about such rare occurrences ... a civilian worker w/authorization ...

May never know his motivation. But the ship was secure ... the system worked. Sailor dead? Doing his job.

Sucks, as it looks like he was just trying to help another.

I wonder what their Rules of Engagement were, compared with opportunities to shoot first.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Perp used Guard's weapon against him

This is disturbing:

Base shooting suspect didn't have own weapon
    A civilian approaching a Navy destroyer at the world's largest naval base late at night took a weapon from a sailor who was standing watch and used it to shoot and kill another sailor who was trying to help his embattled colleague, Navy officials said.
    I thought retention holsters were policy. How could this have happened?

The man was approaching the quarterdeck when sailors working security confronted him, Clark said. During a struggle, the man disarmed the petty officer of the watch, he said. He used the petty officer's gun to shoot and kill a different sailor who had come to help, Clark said. "Naval Security Forces then killed the suspect," Clark said. Clark emphasized that the man was not armed when he entered the base.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/25/justic...navy-shooting/
    We need to end this deadly loophole. If only the guard had been required to run a background check before having his gun taken this would've been prevented. Contact your congressman and demand background checks now......
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    This is disturbing ...I thought retention holsters were policy. How could this have happened?
    It's been almost 40 years, but back then you were wrong in your presumptive thought. I imagine retention is a lanyard.

I'm impressed as heck that he had ammunition. My boat had an infamous topside watch armed with an MT 1911 and an MT 870, but he butted a Naval Reactors Z5O attempt to the deck and held him with an MT weapon 'golf-driver' until the OOD arrived. He was reprimanded for assaulting an officer but I'll bet the skipper grinned while he said it.

We had bullets

But they didn't let us put em in the chamber unless we had something we could shoot at. :-) Didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now.

In the late 60s, when I stood duty as petty officer of the watch, we carried a colt 1911 with 5 rounds in the magazine, and none chambered. In addition, we had one spare mag holding an additional 5 rounds. No other weapons were out of the arms locker unless we were involved in loading or unloading weapons which could have involved nukes, or during special circumstances such as power failures
    You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office

It's been almost 40 years, but back then you were wrong in your presumptive thought. I imagine retention is a lanyard.
    Ship I was on last week, they were using a lanyard retention.
    Good for the rover! I always loved being rover...

Quote Originally Posted by half_life1052 View Post
    But they didn't let us put em in the chamber unless we had something we could shoot at. :-) Didn't make sense then, doesn't make sense now.
    I believe that all changed after the USS Cole incident. Before that though, they were getting really soft - forcing us to wear batons instead of a firearm.

Over the last few years, I have seen their defensive measures become much more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I wonder what their Rules of Engagement were, compared with opportunities to shoot first.
    Depends on the circumstances. Generally, a QD watch must use increasing levels of force, deadly force is the last resort. It sounds like he got jumped and as such it is then a GZ situation, the QD watch lost. Sailors? I do not know how many were armed on the QD. Back in the day, there was only one dude armed on the QD.

Every watch I ever stood over a 12 year career as Petty Officer of the Watch, Officer of the Deck, Rover, or Pier Sentry/Chief of the Gaurd I was armed in Condition 1 as per policy (maybe it was only our ship?), regardless of the firearm I was carrying. The holsters we used for sidearms had little retention (mostly just thumb retention straps). Granted the last time I stood any type of gaurd duty such as these was in 2008, so maybe equipment has changed... but I doubt it. Budgets suck. The good holsters are typically given to the ground troops and special forces in my experience.
    Last edited by Justine; 03-28-2014 at 08:00 AM.

Dead perp was convicted FELON

Would someone pleas explain to me how a convicted felon, sent to prison for manslaughter, could possibly get onto a Naval base?

Man who shot sailor was convicted felon
    The Virginia truck driver who killed a sailor aboard a Naval destroyer served prison time for manslaughter and drugs, but it was still unclear what led him onto the base earlier this week.

The credential Savage used to gain access - a Transportation Worker Identity Credential - is issued by the Transportation Security Administration and is valid for five years. The Navy said the card alone doesn't authorize base access. People also have other documents to gain entry, including a manifest of items to be delivered or a receipt indicating an item to be picked up, said Beth Baker, a spokeswoman for the Norfolk-based Navy Region Mid-Atlantic.

People with criminal records for certain crimes are allowed to have a TWIC card, as long as they have been out of prison for at least 5 years, according to the TSA's website. However, applicants can also apply for a waiver.

So we have a convicted felonious manslaughterer, who grabs a security man's gun to commit another killing.

Yep, this is clearly the gun's fault and legislation should be pending immediately!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

From http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...252721101.html

Savage was killed by Navy security forces Monday night aboard the USS Mahan after he took a gun from a petty officer who was on watch for the ship and used her gun to shoot Master-at-Arms 2nd Class Mark Mayo, who was providing security at Naval Station Norfolk.
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    My understanding is, everyone is being tight lipped about what happened, treating it like a trial run or a terrorist test. And every sailor on board vessels in Norfolk are now wearing protective vests as a safety precaution.

μολών λαβέ
    Be active.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty-or-Death View Post
    My understanding is, everyone is being tight lipped about what happened, treating it like a trial run or a terrorist test. And every sailor on board vessels in Norfolk are now wearing protective vests as a safety precaution.

μολών λαβέ
    Statements have been released. The two do not appear to know each other.

The Navy on Wednesday identified Mayo as the sailor who was killed late Monday by a civilian truck driver who passed through security at Norfolk Naval Station, boarded the pierside destroyer Mahan, and wrested a gun from a female sailor standing guard on the deck.

Mayo, who was assigned to the base's security department and patrolling nearby, saw the struggle and rushed to intervene. He was shot while pushing the guard to the ground in an effort to protect her, said Capt. Robert Clark, Norfolk Naval Station's commanding officer.

"It was incredibly extraordinary," Clark said. "He gave his life for hers."

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/03/base...hip-was-heroic
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.